Jim DeRogatis

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Jim DeRogatis

Postby Dawg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:30 am

So what's the glono scoop on this guy? I got his book "Milk it!" for my birthday and finally got around to reading it. I know he (like this website) is based out of Chicago, so I thought there'd be many opinions about him here.

I really liked his stuff. Some articles in retrospect must be embarrassing (like the great review for Tone Loc's second album) so I must give him props for including it in his book.

He's obviously obsessed with Courtney Love and Wire. It was neat to see him poke holes in Alt music's sacred cows like Alex Chilton, Billy Corgan and REM (did Mike Mills steal his girlfriend or something? Geez, he has it out for REM)

His descriptions of the goings-on at Rolling Stone in his brief employment with that magazine were my favorite parts. Funny as hell to read about Jan Wenner blowing his top about a bad Hootie and the Blowfish review as well as his obsession with the dinosaurs of popular music.

So what's the conventional wisdom on this guy up there?

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

DeRo and Kot

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:18 am

He has a radio and sometime tv show up here called Sound Opinions with the Chicago Tribune critic, Greg Kot. Both of them can be pleasures, both can be pains. Kot is more traditional, predictable, reliable, more "go with the current trends" kind of coverage. He takes his job a bit more seriously. Derogatis seems to style himself a bit of an enfant terrible. This can be a problem and may explain in part his freaky fixation on Courtney Love. On their tv show he keeps a drum kit. He will often jump behind the drums and "demonstrate" something moronic about a point he's making, but obviously more to show "Hey, look at me! I can rock out as well as write criticism." If this sounds at all endearing, let me assure you, it's not. Still, I like his interests better--he has a lot more passion for actual music than Kot.

I can't speak for the other Glono'ers around here, but he (and Kot) seem to annoy and frustrate quite a bit. At least until you have an album up for review. Then they're civic treasures. hee hee

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:08 pm

I don't want to be overly critical because I know people need to make a living. While Jim Derogotis is a fine writer, I also think he may be the worst living music critic. Anybody who reviews "Sgt. Pepper" and says it "sucks dogs royally" is trying waaaaaaaaaay too hard to prove his or her unadulterated hip cred. In an interview, Jack White once said to never trust a person who doesn't like The Beatles or Bob Dylan, that they don't really like music. Herein lies my main problem with Jimmy.

Sound opinions is fun, but worthless. Read Robert Christgau. At he listens to albums and is willing to give everything a fair shot.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:13 pm

booker wrote:Read Robert Christgau. At he listens to albums and is willing to give everything a fair shot.

Ha ha ha! I love it when you bait people. Let the Dean-bashing begin!

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Sheik Rockefeller wrote:
Ha ha ha! I love it when you bait people. Let the Dean-bashing begin!

The only thing I'm baiting is for people to read Da Dean. Seriously.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:16 pm

See, now I hate Christgau... hate! I think that guy is so full of himself and his opinions on music are almost polar opposite to the general consensus of this board.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 pm

He may be full of himself, but he knows what he likes. And he gives your Cars "Candy-O" a B plus, not a bad grade.

I would be very surprised if his opinions were contrary to most of those on this board. Some of his favorite artists include: Dylan, Beatles, Ramones, Lucinda Williams, The New York Dolls, Sonic Youth, Pavement, I could go on.

Still, now I feel bad. I didn't mean to start an argument, or a Dean-bashing session.

Hail all who love, or hate, Christgau!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:24 pm

booker wrote:Anybody who reviews "Sgt. Pepper" and says it "sucks dogs royally" is trying waaaaaaaaaay too hard to prove his or her unadulterated hip cred. In an interview, Jack White once said to never trust a person who doesn't like The Beatles or Bob Dylan, that they don't really like music. Herein lies my main problem with Jimmy.

Often I get miffed at a critic. But when he said that it actually made me furious. So fucking stupid! Say "Peppers" is overrated (how could it not be) but it's still the fucking Beatles in the grip of genius--and move on. And stay the fuck off the drums.

I agree with almost everything I've heard Jack White say. I would let people off the hook for not liking Dylan, though.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Barabajagal wrote:
Often I get miffed at a critic. But when he said that it actually made me furious. So fucking stupid! Say "Peppers" is overrated (how could it not be) but it's still the fucking Beatles in the grip of genius--and move on. And stay the fuck off the drums.

I agree with almost everything I've heard Jack White say. I would let people off the hook for not liking Dylan, though.

Exactly.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:30 pm

booker wrote:Still, now I feel bad.

Bah! No reason to! This is a thread about a critic - so now reason why we shouldn't drag the subject over to X-Gow. I like reading him (most of the time) myself, but mostly for finding out about stuff I wouldn't have otherwise. I'd never buy a record based on one of his silly grades (meaning I think all record grades are silly, not just his).

Return to “Rants and Raves”