Bands you're NOT supposed to dig but cant help getting into

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Bands you're NOT supposed to dig but cant help getting into

Postby russ » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:45 am

This is for Bands OR singers that you sometimes feel embarrased to admit you really like. The kind where if you are listening on your headphones and someone asks what you are listening to, you might not tell them the truth in your answer.

Here goes, try not to laugh. My list if very 70's heavy.

1. Carpenters
2. Al Stewart
3. Paul Williams
4. Rod McKuen
5. Gerry Rafferty

Thats enough for me to list. hehe...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:44 am

I'm a total sucker for bubblegum. Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Co.... all that shit.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:08 am

Come on, you can do better than that. You're supposed to like all that stuff! And russ got us started off with Gerry Rafferty and Al Stewart for chrissake - now admitting that takes some courage!!!

I'm trying to figure out who to admit to, myself. Maybe Nashville Pussy? But I don't own any of their records.... And I'm not really ashamed of it.

Maybe that covers album I have by Alan Jackson? Yeh, I guess that'll have to be it. I like that record except for the cover of "Margaritaville."

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I'm a total sucker for bubblegum. Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Co.... all that shit.

Love that stuff!

My "weakness" is songwriting hence my complete adoration for Burt Bacharach. My ex gave me a comp of his material, but it turned out to be mere instrumentals. The beauty of Bacharach is the entire package. So this is why Dionne Warwick is a favorite or more accurately a very old tape that got played repeatedly when I was a wee miss c.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:16 am

I'll see your The Carpenters, Paul Williams and raise you:
Helen Reddy
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Bee Gees
Sonny & Cher
Partridge Family
Osmond Brothers

I would have included ABBA, but they seem to be sitting at the cool table nowadays.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:43 am

I can't at this moment disclose every questionable musical sensibility I have, but I can say this: I recently and without hesitation bought Britney's greatest hits CD at Wal-Mart. (Two strikes.) I don't wish to spur another endless Britney is the devil/Britney is harmless debate, I just want y'all to know how relatively low I have sunk here. Depending on your perspective.
I quote myself: "If Britney is part of my healing process, who the fuck is going to argue with that?"
I quote my sister, after we both observed my mother's eyes rolling out of her head at the checkout line: "It's cheap here, and plus she's too embarrassed to buy it anywhere else." (Both true.)
I offer this advice to anyone who is heartbroken and done with boys (for the moment): There are few greater pleasures than singing along to "Stronger" at the top of your lungs in a car and displaying your wicked sit-dance traffic moves. And someday, I will find someone somewhere who realizes this.
That is all.
nbg.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:44 pm

I know I'm supposed to be but I am not ashamed to say I am a big George Michael fan. Great voice and a very funny interviewee.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:52 pm

just kidding

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:08 pm

Well, I've already admitted to liking Journey and Jethro Tull, so what do I got to lose?

I also love:
Barenaked Ladies (at least Gordon & Stunt)
The Monkees
Judas Priest
Bachman Turner Overdive

Now I must go and listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to compensate.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:09 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:Image

just kidding

That'll get you booted off the boards sooo fast.

And I know its been brought up a million times before, but I still can't shake my appreciation for Phil Collins. I don't care, I'm not ashamed. And I would have said ABBA, but apparently that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Lately, I've realized I really like that new Destiny's Child song "Lose My Breath". Its pretty catchy and doesn't have some obnoxious four note synth line or 808 beat that so much Hip-pop has these days. So I'll nominate that one too. Not like I'll be running out to Wal-Mart to buy the Greatest Hits CD or anything though (ah, I kid, I kid!)

Return to “Rants and Raves”