When Bands Click...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

When Bands Click...

Postby Proptronics » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:42 pm

So, just two days ago, I completely fell in love with Grandaddy. I've had two of their albums for a long time now but never quite loved it. Then, one morning, my co-worker played their b-sides and rarities comp called Concrete Dunes and I can't stop listening to them since.

Do things just ever click like that for y'all?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:47 pm

Yeah... Jellyfish. When I first heard "That Is Why", I thought, "Hmm, cool song, maybe I'll pick it up someday." But then I heard Spilt Milk in 2nd Hand Tunes, Evanston, and it was amazing tuneage. That's the same record store I first heard Big Star... I really oughta hang out there more often. Lightning seems to strike there often for me...

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:09 pm

i thought this was a thread about autechre...

it took me a long time to come around to ween... i'd of course heard "push the little daisies" and i hung out at this dominatrix's apartment once (not as a customer) and she was playing "god, wee, satan..." i just wasn't getting into it tho... i picked up "the pod" used and had tried unsuccessfully to listen to it for 3 or 4 months... never could listen to it all the way thru... then one night i slapped on my headphones, sat alone in the dark, staring out my window and listened to the whole damn thing... it was a revelation... maybe it was the darkness, or the headphones, or the joint the size of a corn dog that i had smoked, but for whatever reason i finally got it... altho i'm not entirely certain what "it" is...

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:26 pm

Smitten by The Martinis (ex-Pixie Joey Santiago's band). Pitchfork took a big ol' smelly dump on it, and I kinda wondered why I bought it myself the first couple of spins. The more I've listened to it, the more I've come to realize that this might be one of the most underrated CDs of 2004.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:26 pm

creepy wrote:maybe it was the darkness, or the headphones, or the joint the size of a corn dog that i had smoked, but for whatever reason i finally got it...

BINGO!
"And your girlfriend, she's in high school
She says she loves you a lot
Oh no, she can't support you
So you better sell more pot
"

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: When Bands Click...

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:40 pm

Proptronics wrote:So, just two days ago, I completely fell in love with Grandaddy. I've had two of their albums for a long time now but never quite loved it. Then, one morning, my co-worker played their b-sides and rarities comp called Concrete Dunes and I can't stop listening to them since.

Do things just ever click like that for y'all?

That's how the Ted Leo album Hearts of Oak was for me. I bought it over the summer and didn't listen to it much at all until a couple of months ago. Now it is blasting from my radio whenever possible.

And Grandaddy is awesome. Didn't take long for them to click with me.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:19 pm

steve-o wrote:
That's how the Ted Leo album Hearts of Oak was for me. I bought it over the summer and didn't listen to it much at all until a couple of months ago. Now it is blasting from my radio whenever possible.

STEVE-O! Do you have "Shake The Sheets" yet? GET IT.
have you seen Mister Ted Leo live, with or without the Pharmacists? DO IT.
as for me, I have this board and Jake's incessant recommendations/blathering to thank for my now-undying love of the Mountain Goats. And I bought "Achilles Heel" by Pedro The Lion after reading a review of it a few weeks before they toured here with John Vanderslice. It sat for a few weeks, I listened to it off and on as background music without it really clicking...
and then I saw them live. And boy, you wouldn't think a band as quiet as Pedro would be so galvanizing and brilliant live. But they were. And I am hooked. The end.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:47 pm

It's not that I didn't like Grandaddy before but suddenly, I can't get their sound out of my head. Has anyone caught them live yet? I have passed up too many chances...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:12 pm

I've been meaning to pick up some Grandaddy ever since I heard Nature Anthem. That song gets into your head like Freddy Kreuger. And the video is too much! Love it!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:29 pm

nobodygirl wrote:STEVE-O! Do you have "Shake The Sheets" yet? GET IT.
have you seen Mister Ted Leo live, with or without the Pharmacists? DO IT.

Not yet, believe me I know. I've been real slack the last couple of months with new CD's.

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I've been meaning to pick up some Grandaddy ever since I heard Nature Anthem. That song gets into your head like Freddy Kreuger. And the video is too much! Love it!

It is included on the Sumday CD, along with the video for "Crystal Lake." It's well worth the money.

Return to “Rants and Raves”