When Bands Click...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Batchy wrote:I always used to think that The Rolling Stones were just okay and seriously over-rated. I never really gave them a proper listen and my indifference towards them was based mainly on their releases in the 80's and 90's and blanket radio play of their hits on commercial radio stations. Never felt the need to explore them too much because i thought i had them sussed. Then i bought "Exile on Main Street." Needless to say that album is the mutt's nuts! It just blew me away. Love the dirty, bar-room bluesy sleaze that drips and oozes from it. Maaaahn! Now, it's the only Stones album in my collection and to be honest, i'm almost kind of wary of picking up anything else from them for fear that it just won't reach the standard set by EOMS. Where does one go in the shadow of such greatness?

Have had the exact same experience! I am much more of a Stones fan now, though I still they are a hellaciously overrated band (Beatles vs. Stones? Give me a break). I will say Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed are almost as good.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:10 pm

Heitzie wrote:The Fall. The summer before I went to college an older friend played "I Am Kurious Oranj" incessently. I was actually indifferent to it at first, but after 2 months and 30,000 plays I became obsessed with the record, and the band. It's never ealy let up over the last 13 years.

Awesome! If you haven't already, check out "This Nation's Saving Grace" and "The Frenz Experiment." Both are from the same era/line-up as "Oranj" and I enjoy those albums a tad moe. And I've got to say that "The Real New Fall L.P." is probably their best album in quite some time. Mark E. Smith may have fewer teeth nowadays, but he still has plenty of bite in him.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:20 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I am much more of a Stones fan now, though I still they are a hellaciously overrated band (Beatles vs. Stones? Give me a break). I will say Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed are almost as good.

I don't know. I've compared some of the Stone's best albums with The Beatles best, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:33 pm

beatles vs. stones is like apples and oranges... with the beatles being of course the apples... sweet, good for ya, lots of different varieties, and a mildly irritating core (ringo)... while the stones are oranges, tough outer skin (didja see the RS with keith on the cover last year? skin like old naugahide...), kind of acidic, and it hurts when they squirt juice in yr eye...

p.s. - while writing this, i realized it was lame, but i posted it anyway...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 pm

grounded5am wrote:the artist for me would have to be radiohead. when o.k. computer came out i absolutely could not stand it. i thought they sucked. then my s.o. was playing them in the car one day and i asked who they were. he said radiohead. i slowy began digging them.

kid a came out soon after and i was liking it. it wasn't until the live ep and amnesiac came out that i was hooked. my s.o. had a burned copy of o.k computer but i just didn't get into it really. i just bought o.k computer over the weekend and i have to say how amazing it is. i love let down. the real version sounds better than the burned copy. radiohead saved my life.

Excellent! It always nice when one more person sees the light. I was kind of that way with their first album actually, Pablo Honey. After the buzz around "Creep" dies down, you start to see that aside from that song its a very good, grossly underrated album.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:48 pm

yeah it is steve-0. i love stop shouting. i bought that one before i bought amnesiac or the live ep. i gave my s.o. kid a as a gift so i kinda already had that. i found kid a to be very trippy but really good. i didn't listen to the bends much until hail to the thief came out. i got my own copy of the bends after that. radiohead really are good. the thing that i like most is how they change gears so that you never really know what to expect next. with all the glut of bland alternative in the 90's they were refreshing.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:59 pm

grounded5am wrote: i gave my s.o. kid a as a gift ...

...which is usually better than giving your s.o. a KID if your s.o. wasn't expecting it!!! Although kids can be cool presents too...

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:34 pm

i doubt that could happen but science has come up with stranger things. and yes kids can be cool presents. in regards to the thread i've had airbag and let down in my head for the last 3 or 4 days.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:42 pm

pixies. i've just rediscovered what great musicians they are.
back to my regularly scheduled "brushing up" on dreamweaver.
wish me luck.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:53 pm

Baby, baby baby bitch......

Fuck you, you stinkin' ass ho.....

Return to “Rants and Raves”