So, has VH1 now hit rock bottom?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

So, has VH1 now hit rock bottom?

Postby Dawg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:44 pm

I saw on Saturday they had a show on called "The 40 Most Awesomely Bad Hair Moments" complete with those ubiquitous B-list talking heads snarking it up. Now a part TWO of "I love the 90's?"

Jebus, remember 6 or 7 years ago when they were a music channel and had some legitimate shows?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:48 pm

no offence, dawg, but exactly how does one hit rock bottom when one's already there? mind you, i only see mere snippets of vh1's catalogue of programming on the high-minded muchmoresick.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:00 am

vh1 had some interesting shows that they overdid. i don't really care for vh1 or mtv mainly because as a music channel they don't play anything i like anymore. i miss 120 minutes. man growing up that show was great.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:54 am

grounded5am wrote:vh1 had some interesting shows that they overdid. i don't really care for vh1 or mtv mainly because as a music channel they don't play anything i like anymore. i miss 120 minutes. man growing up that show was great.

"Subterranean" on MTV2 is similar to 120 Minutes. Worth tivoing anyway. And "The Alternative" on VH1 Classics is pretty amusing.

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:46 am

As Miss C mentioned we only get bits and pieces of VH1 on MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic up here, but from what I see they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for many years now. At least "Pop Up Video" was semi-interesting AND included actual music videos. All of their shows seem to be countdowns of the biggest idiots in show bi-niss - "20 Hottest Hotties", "20 Awesomest Public Makeout Sessions", "20 Biggest Ho's" and my personal favourite "20 Bitchin' Booties". They seem to be aiming to be a fifth rate ripoff of "Entertainment Tonight" that even Fox would dismiss as "too vacant".

But then maybe we're only getting the crap, who knows?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:12 am

nope that about sums it up. with the exception of their new celebreality shows. vh1 was moderately cool back in the day cause they had rosie o'donnell as a vj when she wasn't such a bitch. how times have changed. jake mentioned some good shows on the other mtv and vh1 channels. if you are lucky and have a satalite or digitial cable they'd be good to check out. i personally don't have that but what i have seen of mtv 2 i actually liked.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:15 am

No, it sounds like you're getting a representative sample, sad to say. Have they tormented you poor defenseless Canadians (;-)) with the Surreal Life yet? More Flavor Flav and Brigitte Nielsen than you can shake a stick at. These days, throw a rock in VH1's programming schedule and you're bound to nail either of these two dolts in the head. You'd think that TV programmers would've learned a lesson from the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? or Osbournes overexposures; if you show it every day, you will eventually kill it. Sheesh...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 pm

you'd think that mtv would learn that by now. they constantly rerun the real world into the ground. not to mention pimp my ride and the real world/road rules challenge battle of the sexes 2

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:15 pm

I would argue that VH1 hit rock bottom when Celine Dion did that cover of "You Shook Me All Night Long" on Divas Live. She should be sent to the Hague for that.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:54 pm

vh1 divas was a low point all the way around. why they even started that beats me. i mean it's supposed to be some big event and it sucks ass it's so lame.

Return to “Rants and Raves”