Tweedy, O'Rourke, Kotche project ready for release.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Tweedy, O'Rourke, Kotche project ready for release.

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:40 pm

Loose Fur, the project featuring Wilco's Jeff Tweedy and Glen Kotche and Sonic Youth's Jim O'Rourke is set for a January '03 release.

The track list is as follows:
Laminated Cat
Elegant Transaction
So Long
You Were Wrong
Liquidation Totale
Chinese Apple

More info available at: http://www.dragcity.com/dragcity.html
DP

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:24 pm

Available for download.....

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:48 pm

But if you download it and like what you hear, of course, you'll buy the album, right? It's a tiny indie label we're talking about. Support independent music!

The Troof

Postby The Troof » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:19 am

So what are the opinions of the Loose Fur cd? I'm interested in whether the Wilco fans who lean more towards the AM/Being There era sounds will revolt. Laminated Cat sounds cool, the rest of it I haven't really dug to far into.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:31 am

I think Tweedy loses die hard alt.country folks with each record. The upside is he picks up new fans and seems to getting a more diverse crowd with each new record. I just read an interview with Stirratt yesterday basically saying the same thing.

da jigga man

Postby da jigga man » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:48 pm

if the wilco fans of the AM/Being there era haven't revolted yet, why bother. but you know, i like the idea of consistently evolving your sound. that being said, i still like AM better than any other wilco record.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:38 pm

Hello, first time poster here! I've been reading about this collaboration and I'd like to wonder if this is a studio record or is it from a gig or what? Any story behind it?

Just thought I'd say that I got into Wilco after buying Summerteeth. Heard them first on the Gram tribute cd and thought they were cool so I bought Summerteeth and I hated it for a year or so and then I started liking it and now it's one of my top 5 records. Before YHF came out I had no idea what to expect but as soon as I heard the intro to IATTBYH, I felt that it was exactly what I wanted. I've a hard time understanding those who doesn't want the sound to evolve and at the same time I feel that there's still a lot of AM in the new records as well, but it just sounds different. Like when you hear the Tweedy solo shows, it shows that they're not that different in a way.
I don't have a history with the band by having seen them live and progressing so I havn't been upset about them firing Ken and Jay leaving the band. I know though that I think Glenn is a kickass drummer and that only he's a reason to listinging to Wilco right now and it will be cool to hear this Loose Fur cd as well.

Jones

Postby Jones » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:18 pm

Not that anyone should listen to what I say, but I have no patience for die-hard fans of anything. Tweedy had already been through a few variations on the alt.country sound when A.M. came out, and Being There itself was a further change. The notion that an artist should spend his life working in one style for the sake of some blizted-out fan's notion of purity is so banal I've already written too much about it.

I first stumbled upon Uncle Tupelo just at the end, when Anodyne came out. You can believe I'll be getting me some Loose Fur.

El Nino de Santa Anna

Loose Fur

Postby El Nino de Santa Anna » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:52 pm

It seems that anything Jim O'Rourke touches is golden anyway, so I'm pretty damn sure this is gonna be a worthwhile release. I actually just got into Wilco at Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and I am impressed. I'll buy it.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:36 pm

Those of us who are upset about Jay leaving the band feel that way because Jay was clearly the best "player" in the band, and you REALLY notice it live, particularly during the early months of touring post-Bennett. But Tweedy seems to be doing songs that are less and less reliant on guitars and have less room for soloing.... so goodbye extended versions of "Kingpin" and hello ragged but right versions of "Jesus, etc." By the way, the Wilco live juggernaut has recovered fabulously from Jay's loss. Their September show in San Francisco was a heart-stopper! Jeff stopped doing the endlessly boring noise-fest "solos" (mostly) and the band just seemed much more comfortable with the space created by Jay's absence.

Return to “Rants and Raves”