Tweedy, O'Rourke, Kotche project ready for release.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:47 am

First off, I'm going to defend Jay Bennett by saying that he is a fantastic guitarist, nay, musician. He certainly plays a particular style, and I think he's definitely more interested in pursuing music and song-writing more akin to what Wilco was doing from "Being There" through "Summer Teeth" (although, according to the GloNo interview with Jay and everything else I've heard, he contributed an awful lot to their "new" direction on YHF) but I never got bored listening to his solos, he and Jeff frequently rearranged songs, and I, for one, get a kick out of hearing a great guitarist just throw down a blazing solo. This position that Jay was a drag stuck in the past and unwilling to change the sound is revisionist history at its worst.

Second, I love Wilco's rootsier more country-inflected stuff just as much as I love the new stuff, and I hope Jeff continues to write and play in that style from time to time. I don't see any reason why the great old songs can't sit comfortably side by side with the great new songs. I think picking one style, ie. pre- vs. post- "Summer Teeth" Wilco, is pretty narrow-minded. Then again, some people like spacy, baroque pop more than they like rootsy rock and country. To each his own. I'll take both.

Third, there is most definitely a difference between misguided, directionless wankery and fruitful, adventurous experimentation and improvisation. The former may start out as the latter, but that doesn't mean it succeeds. Sometimes it's just a big turd, like Metal Machine Music, Lou Reed's claims of avant garde composition and his other high-falutin' defenses of what is a contract breaker notwithstanding. However, one man's wankery is another man's fruitful experimentation... mostly. This isn't a comment on Loose Fur since I haven't heard it yet, but more of a general aesthetic principle.

I feel much better now.

saturday's show

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:29 pm

i read everything people have written on this topic. i was there saturday, and i'd say i really liked about a third of the show. now, i'm not a frat boy or really 'into' one stage of wilco or another -- i just love jeff tweedy and jim o'rourke and thought it would be an interesting show, at least. it's been getting a little predatory and judgmental on this board -- just because someone didn't like the show doesn't mean they're not a true fan or that they don't understand something essential about the creative process. i found about one-third of the show absolutely inspirational, and the other two thirds rambling and messy -- stuff they'd be playing as they experimented with styles, etc, but not stuff for the stage. that's the main point -- it wasn't brilliant, yet -- but could be very soon.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

yo

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:36 pm

truly, instrumental music is where it's at. i love lyrics too, but damn, people (including myself) are always willing to defend their favorite lyricists to the death.

Phineas
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Phineas » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:48 pm

Drastic G's my favorite. Wait, wrong thread.

What I don't understand about all the people bitching about the Loose Fur performance is how they could be surprised by what they were in for. If they were well-informed enough to know it was a Tweedy co-venture, you'd think they might have heard what sort of music it was beforehand.

At the handful of Wilco shows I've been to, the biggest assholes ("Tweeeeeeedy! Passenger Side, please!!!! Solid state technology!!!!') seem to be the sort who stopped buying Wilco records at Being There and likely couldn't name anyone else in the band. And further, if they had any idea who Jim O'Rourke was, they'd know not to expect breezy alt-country tunes.

Granted, everyone's entitled to his or her opinion, but if you hated the show because it wasn't what you had planned, too fuckin' bad. Do five minutes of research before seeing an unfamiliar band and spare yourself the shock next time.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

here, here

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:05 pm

here, here. phineas, you jounced the limbs of those bastids

do us a favour and quit preaching

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:10 pm

Hi Phineas

Ive got to say I just hated your post. You want people to do research before going to a gig - fine. But before you post maybe you should read what people have written before you.

I wasn't surpised by what I was in for - as I said above, I just didn't like the preparedness, content or the delivery. I agree with the person before who said 2/3 of the show was rambling and messy. I agree - and I think they sucked.

How about you stop second guessing where we're coming from, and quit the preaching.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:23 pm

fine. they sucked. keep going to shows that suck. you always will. all hail the anti-preacher preacher!!
Last edited by Jiggle Billy on Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grow up sumpin

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:26 pm

Holy crap sumpin, what's with you getting so personal? This a difference of opinion, not a religious war.

So let me ask you a question. In your mind, is it ever justified to criticise a performance with a brief heckle?

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:30 pm

sorry. i'm only 12 & i think it's past my bedtime. you can stay up if you want, i have other messages that answer all your questions.

Phineas
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Phineas » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:36 pm

I wasn't expecting or wanting to hear California Stars. I just didn't like the preparedness, content or the delivery. And I don't mind arrogance, 'cause I think you need arrogance to reach the top in any field. I just thought they sucked last weekend. Next time they might not do.

I have read all the posts on this thread and I wasn't addressing anyone in particular. But I'll make an exception here...

Look at it this way, guest, if that is your real name... I'll assume the above quote is yours - appy polly loggies if I'm mistaken - and ask how in the hell you can fault the preparedness of a band whom you've never heard. Obviously, that's something one can't research (leaving aside the, ahem, uber-fans who've already gotten their hands on a copy of the album,) but what standard are you using? Were their basement shows from 5 years ago better?

It just sounds to me (and again if I'm misinterpreting, sorry) that a number of folks showed up either unprepared or unwilling to hear something new. Whether that's you or not guest, would you say that everyone disappointed with the show had the same reasons you laid out? 'Cuz I would doubt that very much.

Return to “Rants and Raves”