Tweedy, O'Rourke, Kotche project ready for release.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

some answers

Postby Jiggle Billy » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:54 pm

sorry, this is the easiest way for me to respond.

1) it makes perfect sense to me to say that "new direction" does not necessarily mean "good." i can think of numerous examples.

2) challenging = not easy. was it easy for LF to write that music? possibly. was it easy for tony to like it? no. however, it seems to me that the nature of a challenge involves persistence.

3) sound and fury: i have also read it, twice. this makes me consider another of faulkner's books: light in august. i think this book is very good, and is definately more accessable than S&F. is it worse for that reason?

4)
Did you tell you friend to stick to doctoring so he doesn't sound like a dipshit?
tony, what do you mean?

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:46 pm

Dear Phil and Sumpin,
I drove home today and I started to get a grasp on what you might mean by challenging. Then I realized my problem is mostly with the word "challenging". Anyhoo, I appreciate your responses. Phil, those CDs suck. In that, they ARE a challenging listen. I will now go back to doctoring and dipshiting. It's what I do best. ppp

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:08 pm

Poopy,
Take note that I love those CDs and never really found them challenging to listen to. It was just to make a point.

For a real challenge, I like Charles Ives, but I can't listen to it everyday. I appreciate what he was doing with dissonant sound (my one semester as a music major coming through), yet it's not something that appeals to me all the time. It is a challenge to listen to. It is not pleasant in the conventional sort of song-songy way. But I get a lot out of it and do like it.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:10 pm

That last one was me. Phil gets really sore at me when I don't login properly. poopypoopoop

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:13 pm

You just did it again...

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:18 pm

I know. It's fun as hell.

Poopypoopoop, Ph.D.

downstate

Postby downstate » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:43 pm

>I don't think there was a whole lot of cultish pretension
>and snobbery at the Fur show.

Yes, it seems to be contained here quite well in "Guest's" posts.
Just to be clear, although I am quoting from Sumpin in this post, my comments are directed at "Guest".

I was at the Friday night LF show, and I've been listening to the Saturday night show that Sumpin has graciously shared. Honestly, I don't know much about Wilco, Uncle Tupelo or the whole arc of Jeff Tweedy's career. I'm just a casual lsitener who picked up the tickets on a whim.

This quote caught my eye:

>So let me ask you a question. In your mind, is it ever justified to
>criticise a performance with a brief heckle?

No, you self-obsessed twat. Shut up. Were you the one you yelled "You suck, Tweedy" ? There were a few shouts on Friday, too, but they were more humorous, they weren't as base or flatly confrontational as this moment.

Some people have posted that they were disappointed, that maybe some people came to hear wilco songs, or wanted to hear something different. We all have our tastes. Guess what? NOBODY came to hear a heckler. 99% of the audience just reviles these self-selecting ass clowns as the insecure punters that they are. If you don't like a show, vote with your feet -- write a review later. Don't ruin the experience for others. We have the choice to read your review or not, but when you interrupt a live show, trying to show how clever you are ("Judas!") you just look like an idiot. For an example of how clever you are NOT, re: Judas; please read http://www.nypress.com/15/48/nyc/nyc4.cfm
Then follow up with http://hipstersareannoying.blogspot.com/ Please remember to lay in your tub when you slit your wrists. You've made enough annoyances in your life, no need to add to your landlord's.

>Anyone who was looking for sure-fire entertainment could have found.
>Most people bought their tickets in blind faith, which is a gamble
>anyway. Nobody tells the blackjack dealer that they want their money
>back.

Right on!

I enjoyed the show, overall. During a couple of songs I was bored. But I think they hit on a great jam with "opening titles / chelsea walls" (at least on friday). It was, to me, a meeting of King Crimson and the Allman Brothers.... without the weight of the technical frippery of KC or the sappy southern blues themes and repetition of the ABB. A really fantastic set, actually.

I think these guys just enjoy playing together -- and they chose the right path, to form a side project and have some fun.

>listen to the saturday show in its entirety:
>http://student.lycoming.edu/~loptris/wilco.htm

Lighten up downstate

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:54 pm

Hey downstate

Yes, I told Jeff Tweedy I thought he sucked on that Saturday and that the shame was that he really can play when he wants to. That's all I said. No Judas, and none of the other yelling you heard on the recording. If you were at the gig yourself, you'd maybe have known that. Next time get your facts straight before you have a go at me.

And that stuff in your post about slitting wrists really added something too. You really know how to debate the issues, huh?

tell me you're kidding...

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:38 pm

...that even a brief heckle is never justified. But if you really mean that it's never ever justified, in any performance situation, you're just an idiot and god help you.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:30 pm

the thing is, if you are satisfied only with Jeff Tweedy as AM or Being There Wilco, you should just listen to your record...

Return to “Rants and Raves”