Rocky Raccoon Syndrome

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Rocky Raccoon Syndrome

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:37 pm

Do you ever have one of those songs that you just LOVE LOVE LOVE but can't get past some of the lyrics? For me, it's the Beatles Rocky Raccoon. While I usually gravitate towards songs involving fuzzy animals and wild west love triangles, I have a hard time relating to it. Yet, I adore the melody.

Which reminds me of the fact that I think my Norweigan dad thinks that Norwegian wood is a sweet song about a nice girl living among Norway pines...but that's neither here nor there.

I feel similarly about the Ramone's KKK Took My Baby Away. It seems kind of flip, considering they're singing about something so horrible. I mean, I love pretty much anything by them, but I wouldn't feel comfortable singing that particular one in a karaoke bar or anything.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:12 pm

Well, sure, there's a slew of those songs that are great-to-amazing which you just have to sorta let slide on the lyrical choice. I present to the jury as evidence:

Richard Thompson - Man In Need (esp. poignant, considering RT's behavior about that time)
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (who really believes in bumping off yer old lady just because she drives you nuts, or is double-dealing with your best friend) (Hell, a lot of Bon Scott-era AC/DC could be questionable if you truly were to accept the lyrics as gospel, instead of part of a persona)
Aerosmith - Don't Get Mad Get Even (rockin' song, but thou shalt never strike a woman unless you are a woman yourself in which case, sell tickets for the catfight!!! And party yer ass off...)
Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone (one more round... Folsom Prison Blues is another one, take your pick of any of his murder ballads)

See? The questionable lyrical content doesn't make them any less great; sometimes it adds to their dark mystery.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Robert Johnson (and later Led Zeppelin in "The Lemon Song"):

"squeeze my lemon till the juice runs downs my leg"

Yecccch!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:35 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone (one more round... Folsom Prison Blues is another one, take your pick of any of his murder ballads)

See? The questionable lyrical content doesn't make them any less great; sometimes it adds to their dark mystery.

Of course, 'Delia's Gone' is really a cautionary tale - in the end the singer is doomed with the restless spirit of Delia. He pays for his crimes, unlike the gleeful Bon Scott in 'Dirty Deeds', which is (horribly) about how cool murder-for-hire is.

Of course, Scott does make it sound cool...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:08 pm

Beatles' "Run For Your Life" from Rubber Soul:

You better run for you life, if you can
Little girl
(something something else)
Little girl
Catch you with another man,
That's the end
Little girl.

Not good, but great tune.

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:20 pm

miss carol wrote:Beatles' "Run For Your Life" from Rubber Soul:

Little girl
Little girl
That's the end
Little girl.

I seem to remember hearing that this song was banned at some oldies stations during the 90's due to the violent lyrical content. Gotta prevent those boomers from killing each other, I guess.....

Not that I'm in favour of what John is singing about here, but aren't 65.3% of all blues songs written about this very topic? ("Boom Boom Out Go The Lights" anyone?)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:45 pm

"Run for Your Life" is taken directly from Elvis' "Baby Let's Play House:"

Listen to me, baby
Try to understand
I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man.

Those are great lyrics. A lot of my favorite lyrics in the world are totally misogynistic. The Stones' "Under My Thumb" is another classic. Bitter, hateful songs about girls are great.

"Rocky Raccoon" is just dumb though.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:59 pm

I can think of a ton of Bon Scott era AC/DC tunes that would fit the bill. But goddamn it, Bon never pretended to hold a GED or be the sharpest tool in the shed. I said "tool." That's funny.
But that's the brilliance of 'em. Admittedly, it's getting old with Brian. "Cover You In Oil" makes "Love At First Feel" sound like Yeats.
I have to mention the "catch the spit" lyric from Rush. I mean, what the fuck does that mean?! "Tom Sawyer" still rocks, despite the lyrics.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:01 pm

a lot of old western songs have the theme of killing the woman that done you wrong...the singer usually gets it in the end...
remember the red headed stranger killed a woman who grabbed at his wife's (who he'd killed for cheating) horse...then again "you cant blame a man for killing a woman whos trying to steal his horse"

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:04 pm

miss carol wrote:Beatles' "Run For Your Life" from Rubber Soul:

Little girl
Little girl
That's the end
Little girl.

Hide your head in the sand
Little girl.
Fuck up another Beatles lyric
That's the end
Little girl
Everyone knows that "Something Something Else" was a Harrison tune.

Return to “Rants and Raves”