Rocky Raccoon Syndrome

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:23 am

Jake wrote:I think Pixies lyrics are absolutely fucking brilliant. Almost across the board. There are very few lines in Pixies songs that I think are dumb. Most, if they don't make strict literal sense, at least are emotionally evocative.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say they were dumb, "Subbaculcha" notwithstanding. I just said they don't make any sense, and that they're not meant to be profound or meaningful. Emotionally evocative is exactly right, more like beat poetry than Dylan. I didn't mean to give the impression I didn't like 'em, though.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Day Tripper

Postby russ » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:53 pm

I love Rocky Raccoon!!
According to Paul McCartney's biography "Many Years From Now", Day Tripper is not about drugs, but about a girl who wouldn't put out. He says "She's a big teaser" is supposed to be double talk for "She's a prick teaser"

Got a good reason for taking the easy way out
Got a good reason for taking the easy way out now

She was a day tripper, a one way ticket yea
It took me so long to find out, and I found out

She’s a big teaser, she took me half the way there
She’s a big teaser, she took me half the way there now

Tried to please her, she only played one night stands
Tried to please her, she only played one night stands now

She was a day tripper, a sunday driver yea
Took me so long to find out, and I found out

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:34 pm

While the lyrics to "Rocky Racoon" may not exactly be primo poetry, when combined with the music (particularly the instrumentation used) they evoke very clear images of the story being told - which is kind of the point, don't you think? I can picture the old western town, the saloon with the piano player, the gunfight between Rocky & Dan, the doctor stinking of gin, the hoedown, etc.

Let's see Eddie Money compete with THAT!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:49 pm

Lep wrote:Nominated in the best-lyrics/worst-lyrics category for greatest distance between former and latter is Louis Reed. Most amazingly, he often does it in one single song.
E.g.: "Andy's Chest" includes such nice bits as "curtains laced with diamonds dear for you" but is mostly composed of goofiness such as:
The funny thing is what happened to her nose.
It grew until it reached all of her toes
Now when people say her feet smell,
They mean her nose

This reminds me of the infamous argument that Lou had with Lester Bangs. The one where he tells Lester, paraphrasing here, if/when he can come up with a line as good as "curtains laced with diamonds dear for you," then he somehow would be credible as a rock critic. Lester may have had an opportunity to retort with that "pink bare bear" line, citing the fact that a seven year old could write a lyric that good. Of course, by the time "My Red Joystick" came around, getting into arguments with Lou Reed just seemed....too easy. By "Mistrial," even I stopped defending the asshole. Lou is one of those personal heroes (despite his many character and professional flaws) that remain admired from a distance. I'm sure a personal encounter would ruin any remaining admiration.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:08 pm

worpswede wrote:This reminds me of the infamous argument that Lou had with Lester Bangs. The one where he tells Lester, paraphrasing here, if/when he can come up with a line as good as "curtains laced with diamonds dear for you," then he somehow would be credible as a rock critic. Lester may have had an opportunity to retort with that "pink bare bear" line, citing the fact that a seven year old could write a lyric that good.

Yes! I remember reading that piece in Psychotic Reactions &.... Probably that's why the Lou example was the first to come to my mind.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 pm

But when did "Andy's Chest" come out? Wasn't it one of those re-VU type records? Was it on also on an eary 70s Lou album before (in a much different version....)? I can't remember. I think the version I'm most familiar was on one of those (almost all my Lou and VU was on vinyl, most of which I haven't replaced).

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:39 pm

Herb Tarlek wrote:While the lyrics to "Rocky Racoon" may not exactly be primo poetry, when combined with the music (particularly the instrumentation used) they evoke very clear images of the story being told - which is kind of the point, don't you think?

It almost paints too clear a picture of the raccoon for me. I mean, are the other characters raccoons too? You have this gorgeous melody but you're singing about a cartoon - kind of seems half-assed. Like, would Elvis Costello do that? Maybe he would, I don't know.
But of course, I love the song, and it practically makes me want to cry, until I remember it's about a little holster-wearing raccoon with a bible.

Anyhow, it says here that the song was originally called Rocky Sassoon! I guess i'd rather have the raccoon.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:49 pm

Based on the general racoon population and their offspring, Rocky was pretty damn cute.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Lep wrote:But when did "Andy's Chest" come out? Wasn't it one of those re-VU type records? Was it on also on an eary 70s Lou album before (in a much different version....)? I can't remember. I think the version I'm most familiar was on one of those (almost all my Lou and VU was on vinyl, most of which I haven't replaced).

The original V.U. version of "Andy's Chest" was on the "V.U." rarities album (released in mid 80's, recorded as part as the "lost" MGM album in '68). The solo Lou version is on "Transformer," and this Bowie/Ronson produced version is my preference.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:34 am

I hesitate to even bring it up, but Guided By Voices lyrics could be a whole thread on its own...

Return to “Rants and Raves”