"Metallica: Some Kind of Monster"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

"Metallica: Some Kind of Monster"

Postby Dawg » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 am

Has anyone else seen this yet? I rented the DVD last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I have some history with Metallica fandom. Back in high school in the late 80's, they were porbably my favorite band. To this day, one of the best shows I've ever seen was Metallica and the Cult (with Steve Jones!) at Atlanta's Lakewood Ampetheatre on the "...And Justice for All..." tour in 1989. Then came the pile of shit called the "Black Album". Then came forcing Jason Newstead out, then Lars and Napster, more shit albums, and you have what you've got now.

Let me tell you, if you think you hated Lars Ulrich before, just watch this DVD. He's a disagreeable,whining asshole. Nothing says "metal" like watching your art collection being auctioned off as you sip fine champagne. The part where Dave Mustaine tells Lars that getting kicked out of Metallica ruins his life was priceless. Kirk Hamnett comes off as a REALLY cool cat, easily the most likeable and levelheaded of the lot. There's a scene early on when Lars and James are trying their best to keep a conversation civil when Lars finally gets rude. Kirk smacks his hand to his forehead with an audible slap, like "Here we go again". He's always trying to be the reasonable peacemaker betwen James and Lars and gets no help.The difference between James Hetfield pre and post rehab is amazing. He turns out to be really calm and introspective. They also interview Jason, who was always my favorite member. He seems extremely happy to be free of the band's turmoil.

The music? Well, one of the hardest parts for me was watching the old band footage, realizing how much they kicked ass and now how far they've dropped. There is a great montage during the opening credits of live cuts of "Seek and Destroy" over the years, splicing the song together fom 1981 to 2003.I enjoyed the scenes in which they audition for the new bass player. Rob Turillo (sp?) , the former bassist of Suicidal Tendencies, really brings it. It's great to see how blown away he is by stepping into the trappings of being a big time rock God. Most fans can identify with him.

It's hard to escape the shadow of "Spinal Tap", especially the scenes of the band in therapy with their $40,000 a month "performace coach / therapist". That guy plays a huge role in the movie. Hearing Lars explain his art to the cameraman only to be interrupted by his daughter could have been a deleted scene from "Spinal Tap". At one point I think I heard Lars utter the phrase "shit sandwich", which is pretty funny if it wasn't an intentional reference.

OK, I've gone on long enough. I'd love to see a Glono review of the movie!

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:23 pm

I had a totally different take on Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield. James was just a straight up self-centered pompus pin-headed egomaniacal prick. I'm certain any slight improvement, post therapy, was posturing for the camera. My bet is, he's still a prick. Lars was wrong about the album title and was good to be voted down, but his occasional contrarianess seemed to me just reactionary to James' absolute overbearing control freak nut-job head-case. I actually thought the art auction scene was pretty cool. He didn't buy that art as an investment, he just had the right eye for the times and the work appreciated (astronomically) in value during the years it hung on his walls. Good for him. My favorite scene from the show was Rob's audition, and then even more so, his invitation to join the band. I had seen him many years ago with Suicidal Tendencies and he made enough of an impression on me to remember him, having been not such a big S.T. fan at the time. His reaction to his unexpected $1MM signing bonus was truly priceless.

I met both James and Kirk... about 14 years ago. We had some mutual friends in my post-college 20s. James was every bit the cocky/smug full of atitude rock star (as I'm sure most are). I got some smug satisfaction of my own when I told James he could keep the table after beating him in a game of pool, my friends and I were leaving. We then went to one of my friend's apartment, including Kirk who joined us without the rest of the band. I can't make any claims to know the guy, but I can attest that, from my limitted experience, he was ever bit the "cool cat", to use your words. He was just a really nice guy that put up no pretensions, talking about music and Sergio Leoni movies. He was soft spoken, and had a healthy, self depricating sense of humor.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm not a METALLICA fan, never have been, but I do respect what they have accomplished in their career. I LOVE documentaries, and music, so put them together and you have a recipe for a great film experience.

But not in this case.

I went to see this in the theater and I just about fell asleep.
B O R I N G.

I knew this wasn't going to be a concert film (if it was I wouldnt have gone to see it..not my kind o' music) and I was looking forward to seeing the personalities and the clashes, but it was just a bunch of whiny rock stars who have issues with each other and are still acting up. They never worked out what problems they have with each other, and at the end of the movie, I thought, ok they are pretty much still dickheads to each other, so what was the point of the therapy?

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:28 pm

Just a quick thought: I thought James definitely came off as the biggest asshole/moron in the movie. He missed his child's first birthday so he could shoot bears in Russia, for crying out loud! I'm sure little Lars is going to be a spoiled brat, but at least Lars seems to take interest in one or two things besides himself.

Return to “Rants and Raves”