Arrested Development: Cancelled?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:34 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Maybe it's me, but I don't like Family Guy at all. I just don't think it's funny and American Dad is a carbon copy of it. Meh.

I'm with you, man. I hated--really hated--Family Guy. It's like Married With Children (which I also hated) in cartoon form. And that particular style of animation is just terrible. I gave American Dad 5 minutes. That's the most I'll ever watch it.

It'll be very sad if Arrested D winds up getting cancelled to make room for this crap. If it ever came down to it, I'd rather watch yet another Marry a [insert noun here] reality-type show. Better yet, I'll just listen to music.

I guess there's just no longer a market for smart comedies on network television. Too bad.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:56 pm

Ad wrote:I guess there's just no longer a market for smart comedies on network television. Too bad.

I don't like Family Guy; too easy.

The networks don't care about content per se; rather they want cheap. Hence the reality show thing. You don't have to hire guild members. In fact, the only union folk they may get are techs. If my memory serves, these shows hit the air when the Writer's Guild and SAG started making strike noises and complaining about contracts. The threat of strike went away, but producers remembered and now you have a whole lot of profitable crap on the air.

On the other hand, cable has flourished. There are plenty of well written, well acted, well conceived shows on the pay channels (Sopranos, 6Ft Under, Sex In The City among them). The fact that one has to pay makes the difference, I think, because there is slightly less dependance on advertising andmake the audience more demanding. If the audience isn't served, they cancel. Network audiences don't have that clout.

Just my 2-cents

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:23 pm

They better not cancel Arrested Development, I will be angry. The only positive to come out of that would be me saving money by not having to buy all 10 seasons on DVD. American Dad : Family Guy as Futurama : The Simpsons. Never quite as good as the original. Also, I heard somewhere that they were going to make new episodes of Family Guy because of it's popularity on Cartoon Network and high DVD sales. Anyone know if this is true?

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Yeah, that's true, explosions. If you notice, Fox has already started airing FG reruns. Not a huge fan myself, but hey, you could so worse.

Here's an interview with Seth McFarlane for more info. Apparently we're rockin' the Onion AV links in the thread.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Yeah, I think the new episodes premiere in May.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:42 pm

dieblucasdie wrote: Apparently we're rockin' the Onion AV links in the thread.

Yeah, well, it is America's Finest News Source. And these days a lot of real headlines might as well be from the Onion anyways.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:24 pm

Everything that I have heard seems to be making this nasty rumor a reality. Another brilliant fucking show gone because people would rather watch assholes and idiots in search of their 15 minutes than watch something halfway intelligent and witty.

I...am...angry.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:13 am

Here's the latest gossip: Oswalt On Cross On Arrested Development.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:29 pm

sigh. we can't even get arrested in canada

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:25 pm

have you tried a naked protest? that might get you arrested.

Return to “Rants and Raves”