Arrested Development: Cancelled?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Mitch Hurwitz Quits Arrested Development

Variety reports that Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz says he will not be continuing with the series, throwing a major wrench into attempts to keep the Emmy-winning comedy alive for a fourth season.

Series producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine Television had agreed on a deal to move "Arrested," previously on Fox, to Showtime -- assuming Hurwitz was willing to come back. In the end, however, a mix of creative and financial concerns has prompted Hurwitz to move on.

Hurwitz said he had briefed most of the show's cast about his decision, as well as some of the writers. He also talked with executive producer-narrator Ron Howard, who asked Hurwitz if he would be willing to continue as a consultant on "Arrested" should 20th and Imagine find a network willing to continue the series without Hurwitz.

"I said I'd be happy to do that, but that as showrunner, I've gone as far as I can go," he said.

Hurwitz hinted that while "Arrested" may have run its course as a TV show as far as he's concerned, he would be interested in reviving the franchise as a feature film.

Hmmmm...

Via bluishorange.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:31 pm

so what do you think is going to happen? You think the show will carry on without him?

I recently rented the older seasons on DVD, and loved watching them again. To me, its like watching Seinfeld, I could watch the same ones over and over again and laugh my ass off every time.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:10 pm

And now it's dead: R.I.P., 'Arrested Development' -- critics' fave not given room to grow

The Bluths are out of business.

"Arrested Development," the critically praised but low-rated Fox show that won an Emmy for outstanding comedy series, as well as Emmys for writing, will not be resurrected on Showtime as rumors circulating for months have suggested.

A source close to the negotiations said that creator Mitch Hurwitz had decided after a lengthy period of debating an offer from Showtime that "Arrested Development reached its end, creatively, as a series."

Reached on his cell phone while filming a movie in Toronto, star Jason Bateman said he had mixed emotions about the news, saying he was sad for the series to end but happy that the beloved series will live on DVD for people to enjoy.

"I'm so proud of it and so like it as a TV fan that I'm happy we're not going to get a chance to screw it up," he said, in the deadpan style of his character, Michael Bluth, about the only sane member of the dysfunctional Bluth clan. "Our luck wouldn't have held. There would have been cast fighting. We would have messed it up."

[...]

Noted for his work on getting all the details right (not just the writing, but the visual humor and the ceaseless references to past episodes and previous punch lines), Hurwitz ended up putting an inordinate amount of time into the series, and no doubt that workload played a part in his decision to pass on the Showtime offer.

Though the demise of one of television's most devastatingly funny comedies deals a blow to the hopes of a diehard audience (not to mention the sitcom genre), Hurwitz and his writers deserve credit for a tremendously effective wrap-up of the myriad story arcs in "Arrested Development." The series would have had to change gears on Showtime.

Via empty-handed.

Return to “Rants and Raves”