New CDs = Love or maybe just like?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:19 pm

Batchy wrote:
AM really curious about that one? Any good? What's it like?

Picked up Brendan Benson "Lapalco" and Anomoanon "Joli" today. Listening will commence after quittin' time!

It's quite good, probably even a little better than that last Sea and Cake record. Like a lot of records, it loses steam a little bit in the second half, but the first 5 or 6 songs are absolutely amazing. The rest are pretty good. I saw him live last weekend, and I think half of the Chicago music scene was on stage with him. It was like a freakin' middle-school band up there. It ruled.

Thanks all around on Low tips. In the past, I've only been able to handle so much slow Low, so a more rockin' direction might be right up my alley.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:19 pm

This is going to make me sound like the biggest loser(not the kind found on network television), but I just recently got The Shins "Oh, Inverted World" and I like it a lot. I realize I should have heard and owned this album years ago, but hey, some things just fall to the bottom of the list. Also I am listening to this band called Eisley which is made up of imediate family members and a neighbor(a la Kings of Leon). They are decent, I like the song "Marvelous Things". Listening to Arcade Fire a lot lately as well as The Doves "Lost Sides" and the new Bright Eyes albums. I am really digging "Digital Ash..." the more I listen to it. The new Luna album is making me happy as well, and I think I may go see them at the Metro on the 23rd since they won't be a band anymore.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

many tips. english tips.

Postby nobodygirl » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:57 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:Thanks all around on Low tips. In the past, I've only been able to handle so much slow Low, so a more rockin' direction might be right up my alley.

As a matter of fact, the very first song on the album ("Monkey") is ABOUT Low letting go of their former sound and rocking out, from what I've read. The titular monkey is the sound itself-- "Tonight you will be mine/Tonight the monkey dies."
Thus endeth Low 101 for today.
EDIT: "Monkey" mp3!
Yours in possibly overzealous helpfulness,
--nbg.
Last edited by nobodygirl on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:58 pm

Dead Meadow's new one Feathers is damn good.

Superwolf from Bonnie Billy and Sweenery is fucking phenomenal!

I'm looking forward to hearing the new A Frames on Sub Pop plus they're playing in town tonight with the Hunches! Which, if you haven't heard of them, the Hunches last album sounded like a more violent, sleazier and uglier version of Raw Power.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:08 pm

When I've been able to pull myself away from the Arcade Fire CD (which has been pretty rare this week) its been Sloan's Action Pact and the new Ted Leo/Rx. Both excellent albums.

Someone asked me about Low last night. I might have to check them out.

And by the way, I hear you about the audience-chatter thing, Ms. BSS. Last time I saw Sigur Ros, there was a group of girls who would not shut up the entire show. I'm going to see the Wrens again tonight, and will personally spill my drink on anyone who runs their fucking mouth while they are playing. I'm not kidding.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:22 pm

Explosions, no you're not the biggest loser. Hell, I just got a copy of Faith No More's Angel Dust 10 years after the fact! What a great fucking album. I've now added Mike Patton on my list of best singers of all time.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:23 pm

miss carol wrote:Explosions, no you're not the biggest loser. Hell, I just got a copy of Faith No More's Angel Dust 10 years after the fact! What a great fucking album. I've now added Mike Patton on my list of best singers of all time.

Man, that was one of my favorite bands a few years back. Angel Dust was a great album!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:50 pm

steve-o wrote:
Man, that was one of my favorite bands a few years back. Angel Dust was a great album!

I remember liking the first record, but Red Hot Chili Peppers got the spotlight and airtime. So much so that I hated that sound and the look. I never liked the Red Hots. Now I'm listening to FNM and realizing what I missed! Thank goodness this stuff is still available.

I love big, meaty, beaty, bouncy rock.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:00 pm

yeah I loved Faith No More as well....and Mike Patton is good stuff, I even followed him into his Mr. Bungle days. Disco Volante is quite possibley one of the weirdest albums I have ever heard. I used to love it when it first came out though, I listened to it the other day and it took me right back to those days. Really really strange....but in a good way. FNM's last album Album of the Year is actually really good. It was one of those albums that totally flew under the radar.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:14 pm

OT: X-Wife - Feeding the Machine is really great and what that Rapture record from a couple years ago would wound like had it lived up to the hype.

Also, have the Arcade Fire obsessives out there heard some of those Final Fantasy tracks? I have no bloody clue how one would go about procuring the album, but what I've heard is pretty great.

Return to “Rants and Raves”