Rilo Kiley / Jenny Lewis question

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Rilo Kiley / Jenny Lewis question

Postby Dawg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:20 pm

SO I just bought "More Adventurous" and I'm really loving this CD. I like Jenny Lewis' voice and her phrasing / lyrics and all that.

I'm trying to understand the context some of the songs and I'm wondering if she is a lesbian or bisexual. It would make sense according to the lyrics (not that one assumes the narrator of a song is always the singer, per se) but I'm not totally sure.

If anyone can especially get behind the song "Does He Love You?" I'd really appreciate that. Any insights?

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm

The way I hear it, "Does He Love You" is about a love triangle. The singer (not a lesbian, at least not in this song) is having an affair with a married man, but is also a friend to his wife. At some parts of the song, the singer is addressing the man who she's having the affair with, and at other parts, his wife - her friend. At the end of the song, it culminates when the wife calls her saying her husband's been "distant" etc., and the singer finally breaks down and admits she loves him and has been having an affair with him and "she will never leave you for me."

"A Man/Me/Then Jim," one of my favorites on the album, is told from multiple points of view (in the order of the song's title). So, while it could be interpreted as a lesbian statement, the first verse is actually supposed to be told from a man's point of view who runs into his ex-girlfriend.

Incredible album.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Yeah, I'm with you Booker. I'm pretty sure Jenny Lewis is straight.

I like the album, I think it's got some low points, but "A Man/Me/Then Jim", "The Absence of God", and "More Adventurous" are undeniable.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:23 pm

Wow! Great job, Booker. Those are the main two songs I was wondering about. I see what you mean about "Does He love You?" , except for this part:

"A married man, he visits me
I receive his letters in the mail twice a week

And I think he loves me
And when he leaves her
He's coming out to California "

So she says this part to her friend? And it's about her friend's husband? Kinda ballsy, if ya ask me.

The confusion on "A Man/Me/Then Jim" stemmed from my mishearing a lyric. I thought at the end when "Diana" is addressing her spurned lover, she said "Jen", not "Jim". That would be pretty blantant, wouldn't it? Oh, and from what I can tell of the packaging, Jenny Lewis is pretty hot. Can anyone confirm this? Is Liz Phair gonna get kicked to the curb for a new imaginary Indie girlfriend?

Also, I just bought this album kind of on a whim after reading great reviews. Would you have any other Rilo Kiley albums to recommend?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:03 pm

I don't really find Jenny Lewis attractive myself, but I know a lot of people who do.

As far as other recommendations, I'd get The Execution of All Things, their previous album. And, if you don't have The Postal Service's Give Up, she appears on a few tracks of that.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

Postby hausofjl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:39 pm

i think she's sexy, and her voice is rad.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:41 am

Jenny Lewis has taken over almost all of the vocals on More Adventurous but Blake Sennet is still just as involved in the songwriting. I have a feeling there were probably songs that were written for Blake to sing, but they ended up giving them to Jenny. This could also explain some of the gender inversion.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:49 am

Wow - and Jenny Lewis is a former child star / actress. Who knew?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Pe ... sonid-4817

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:16 am

Dawg wrote:Wow - and Jenny Lewis is a former child star / actress. Who knew?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Pe ... sonid-4817

So is Blake. He was on the Nickelodeon show "Salute Your Shorts" as Ronnie Pinsky. One of my favorite shows as a child.

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:10 am

I think she's sexy too but the album, i have to say, is only average. Was quite disappointed with it bar a couple of tracks mentioned already.

Return to “Rants and Raves”