VH1's "Bands on the Run"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

VH1's "Bands on the Run"

Postby Dawg » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:29 pm

Was anyone else addicted to this show a few years ago? I'm kind of disappointed that in a TV era in which any marginally successful reality show is repeated ad nauseum, this one wasn't. And if I recall, it was pretty popular too.

Remember the bands? The Josh Dodes band, Harlow, Flickerstick and Soulcracker.

And I have to say (whispering) I like Flickerstick.

Never bought the album, but I downloaded a few songs. Good stuff, IMO. I even caught them when they came through Athens. They put on a great show, actually. Even though they won the competition, it seems nothing has become of their career.

Any fond (or not so fond) memories of this show?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:36 pm

I liked it too. I liked that the bands had to promote their own shows, just like in real life. I wish someone would hook my band up with a dope van and trailer though! I'd even paint it orange (Jake, you reading this?)

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:10 pm

David Cross has a really funny bit about partying with Harlo on one of his stand-up discs. He basically says that they were super fun to hang out with and it wasn't unti they actually started playing that he realized he knew who they were and that he hated them (as a band). Only when he tells it it's really funny. Highly recommended.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:26 pm

I got dragged along to see Flickerstick play here shortly after they were declared teh winnars. Never seen so many drunk 40-year-old bitches in Highly Inappropriate Clothing (lacy bustiers, all things leather, etc.) in my life. I watched a few episodes of the show and remember rooting for them towards the end, but Flickerstick live and ultimately the album left me kind of nonplussed.
Whatever happened to that one dude from The Real World: London's band? You know, the guy who got his tongue bit off when they "played" a "show?" Did they ever make it? I am on tenterhooks.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:45 pm

nobodygirl wrote: Whatever happened to that one dude from The Real World: London's band? You know, the guy who got his tongue bit off when they "played" a "show?" Did they ever make it? I am on tenterhooks.

NEIL!

He was on one of those Real World/ Road Rules Challenges a few seasons back. He's got a frickin' PhD now. Not that I watched the show or anything....

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:53 pm

Hah, I actually remember that. The next Greg Graffin / Milo Aukerman?

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:26 pm

n8 wrote:Hah, I actually remember that. The next Greg Graffin / Milo Aukerman?

except that milo and greg both have bands that don't suck.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:43 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:
except that milo and greg both have bands that don't suck.

Touché.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:26 am

Bands on the Run! That really was a great show. Who can forget the sterile "professionalism" of the fish-out-of-water Dodes band, the irritating yet oddly endearing attitude of Harlo, the unstable personality swings and admirable laziness of everyone in Flickerstick except the main guy (who, let's face it, had his shit together, never made a fool of himself, and had a cool white belt) and ah! the myriad facets of Soulcracker--underdog status, cluelessness, impressive hustle and drive, bad music, and above all the dude who you weren't really sure what he did in the band exactly--all of which made for great reality tv.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Ha. I was doing some snooping on these bands, and lookie at who wrote the Flickerstick bio on the VH1 page...

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/flickerstick/bio.jhtml

Return to “Rants and Raves”