Songs that spooked you (or still do)...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Songs that spooked you (or still do)...

Postby Dawg » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:41 pm

When I was little I was kind of spooked by Peter Shilling's (?) update of "Space Oddity", "Major Tom".

First off, it was kind of a minor-key, electric soulless sound. Then when I listened to the lyrics it really freaked me out. Especially the part when it says "A final message 'Give my wife my love'. Then nothing more..." Eek.

I also didn't like the Police's "Ms. Gredenko" off "Synchronicity". Something about Sting asking "Is anybody alive in there?" and hearing the answer "Nobody but us", as if it were a roomfull of ghosts answering him.

Also, and I realize this is the video too, but the "Bark at the Moon" song / video by Ozzy really creeped me. The guy in the straightjacket, the low budget look, and especially wolfman Ozzy chasing you through the corridors all kinda gave me the willies.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:03 pm

I think I've said this before, but Robert Johnson's "Hellhound on My Trail" is probably the spookiest song ever.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:11 pm

For me it's:

1) 'Delia's Gone' by Johnny Cash. The whole vibe of the song is warped and wrong, but the spooky part is when Johnny sings about not being able to sleep because of the patter of Delia's feet all round his bed.

2) 'Papa Won't Leave You, Henry' by Nick Cave - Generally creepy and twisted, but this line always got me: "And I entered in and the curtain hissed, into the house with it's blood-red bowels, where red-lipped women with greasy fists all crawled the ceilings and the walls." Yikes.

3) 'Curse Of Millhaven', also by Nick Cave. Nobody does pyschos like Nick Cave. "Like my eyes ain't green and my hair ain't yellow, it's more like the other way around."

4) 'Knife' by Robyn Hitchcock. "Here is a pointy, daggery knife. And it's pointing at you." I used to skip over that track on Queen Elvis for a long time.

5) 'Intruder' by Peter Gabriel. Still creeps me out. "I know how to move quietly, creep across creaky wooden floors.'

More if I think of them.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:17 pm

"My Death" from the live Ziggy Stardust album.

second place is "Youth" by Soft Cell.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:19 pm

"Climbing Up The Walls" by Radiohead, especially the part where Thom Yorke kind of shrieks/screams/caterwauls at the end.
Also, everything by Nick Cave ever. EDIT: Shecky, that was without even seeing yours.
"Bukowski," by Modest Mouse.
And "Down By The Water" by PJ Harvey. But that one is creepy in a very hott way.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:24 pm

"Moonlight Mile" - The Rolling Stones.
On the surface, it sounds like it could be a love song, but if you really listen closely, it's downright creepy. I swear it's actually a murder ballad.

"Furnace Room Lullaby" - Neko Case.
Finally, a murder ballad for the rest of us.

"Rock, Salt and Nails" - Utah Phillips.
Eek!

"Revolution Blues" - Neil Young.
For all his flower child connections, Neil was the ultimate anti-hippie and this song proves it. Back then, no one else would have written a song from the Manson Family's perspective. It's fucking brilliant!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:33 pm

"Meninblack" from the North American only (maybe only Canada?) Stranglers' release IV. The cover art alone creeps me the fuck out:

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Coopstar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:32 pm

"One More Red Nightmare" by King Crimson - a 'rocker' thats pretty spooky with strange percussion and subject matter.

When I was in college a few years back a buddy of mine took myself and some friends to an old abandoned insane asylum near our hometown. It was really cold and there was snow on the ground. The only light came from the prison nextdoor(!). Using a black and white 8mm camera we broke in and filmed some hijinks there for a class of his. We then edited it to "Tundra Desert" by Modest Mouse. Ever since then - that song freaks me out. As Mr. Brock would say: Awwwwwwww shit!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:15 am

i've heard of the stranglers miss carol. i've never actually heard any of their music. at least not their own. i did hear a cover of strange little girl.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:42 am

i used to have a 45 when i was about 4 or 5 years old of the "there was an old woman who swallowed a fly" song... always creeped me out... maybe it was when the tempo slowed at the line "perhaps she'll die"... other than that the hands down scariest thing i own is third eye foundation's "ghost"... that shit gives me nightmares... full of sounds that have no business being heard...

Return to “Rants and Raves”