Songs that spooked you (or still do)...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:32 pm

bss, you have no idea how that teletubbies baby/sun freaky-thing haunts my nightmares.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:42 pm

Jeez, how could I forget His Name Is Alive? 'Are We Still Married' is a totally spooky song about (as near as I can tell) the ghost of a woman who was the victim of an abusive marriage.

And their album Livonia is beautifully spooky all the way through.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:46 pm

And Tom Waits has a lot of spooky songs. 'Going Out West' always creeped me out, picturing this pyschopath driving furiously out to Hollywood to meet his unavoidable fate. You know it's going to end very badly.

"I'm gonna make myself available to you/I don't need no makeup, I got real scars."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:58 pm

Here's an oldie from the archives:

DON'T TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT THE TWO OF US
70s AOR – Still Creepy After All These Years
By Johnny Loftus, April 17, 2002

Great stuff. The comments are good too.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:16 pm

Heitzie -

The more I think about it the whole "Synchronicity" album was damn creepy.

~ The big, dead dinosaurs and threat of nuclear holocaust in "Walking in Your Footsteps"

~ The Loch Ness monster, suicidal race and screaming grandmothers in "Synchronicity II"

~ The awful imagry in "King of Pain" (eyeless kings, beached whales, bloody fox corpses, skeletons)

~ "Murder by Numbers" - enough said

~ "Tea in the Sahara" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger" just SOUNDED creepy.

And hell, even the mega-huge hit off the album "Every Breath You Take" was about an obsessed stalker.

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Dawg -- don't forget the Norman Bates-ish "Mother."

Edit -- nevermind, I see that Heitzie already mentioned that one.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 pm

grounded5am wrote:train you can still do that with a cd. i know i have some cds that have bonus tracks at the end and you don't know it. so you're sitting there listening and out of nowhere comes this song. even worse when you're sleeping. i hear ya.

To illustrate, here is an excerpt from Mark Prindle's review of Chuck D's solo joint "Autobiography of Mistachuck":

"I live in NYC and I'm not happy to see Giuliani go. Supposedly the place was a hellhole before I got here, but since I arrived, he's really cleaned it up. Unless you attribute the cleanliness to my arrival. I must admit that I do p

Jesus fucking Christ. Warning: there's a weird bonus track on this CD that just came on and scared the living fuck out of me."

Mark Prindle... what would responsible music criticism be without him?

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:08 am

Dawg wrote:Heitzie -

The more I think about it the whole "Synchronicity" album was damn creepy.

~ The big, dead dinosaurs and threat of nuclear holocaust in "Walking in Your Footsteps"

~ The Loch Ness monster, suicidal race and screaming grandmothers in "Synchronicity II"

~ The awful imagry in "King of Pain" (eyeless kings, beached whales, bloody fox corpses, skeletons)

~ "Murder by Numbers" - enough said

~ "Tea in the Sahara" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger" just SOUNDED creepy.

And hell, even the mega-huge hit off the album "Every Breath You Take" was about an obsessed stalker.

I'll agree, the whole album has a feeling of dread, uncertainty, unease. "Synchronicity II" and "King of Pain" used to fascinate me as a kid on the radio, and it' amazing that an album about sychronicity and other occult or taboo subjects was a major hit. Like you listed - murder, incest, magic, "impossible" coincidence, obsession, extermination. Most rock music just has frustrated lust or teen angst as subjects.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:51 am

Geez, I never realized this about Synchronicity II. I just thought it sounded bombastic. I will find it and give another listen.
Last edited by miss carol on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:23 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Mark Prindle... what would responsible music criticism be without him?

To put it simply, about as passionate as a Rolling Stone review. Mark has a weird love of the band Bloodrock, would like people to believe he enjoys Everclear, and has lost the ability to consider the impact of his words before writing them. He may be the last honest critic, even when he's lying.
Last edited by worpswede on Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”