Underrated Albums By Great Artists

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Underrated Albums By Great Artists

Postby anothermonkey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:28 am

My picks:

Husker Du...Candy Apple Grey
I think people's opinions of this album were largely affected by the fact that this was their major label debut. This album is awesome! It's *very* consistent and not overly produced (it still has that extremely trebly Husker Du sound). Almost every song is great.

Archers of Loaf: All the Nation's Airports...I think the criticism of this album stems from some people's dislike of artists changing from their 'classic' sound. It's completely different than Icky Mettle or Vee Vee, but a fantastic album nonetheless.

Why do I post these things. God I'm a nerd.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 am

David Bowie - Low
Lou Reed - The Bells
The Fall -I am Kurious Oranj

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:46 am

Beck's Midnight Vultures never seems to get the respect his other albums do. I think it's a swell disc, but when it came out it made the general public confused and angry.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:11 am

The Pretenders-"II"
David Bowie-"...Hours"
Bob Dylan-"Infidels"
The Clash-"Give 'Em Enough Rope"
The Rolling Stones-"Undercover"

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:35 am

I immediately thought of All The Nation's Airports when I saw this thread. Way to go, anothermonkey.
For me, the pentultimate quintessential [unnecessary five dollar word] [unnecessary five dollar word] underrated album is Dear You by Jawbreaker. I have a dear friend who turned me on to this album and he was so distressed by the fact that it wasn't HUGE that he can still rant about this album and how it's the classic example of people turning on you once you go major and how everyone ignores the fact that the songs are in fact amazing and you know what? THEY ARE.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Great idea for a thread. Here are the first ones that come to me:

The Beatles—”Beatles for Sale”
Liz Phair—”Liz Phair” (self-titled)
Richard & Linda Thompson—”First Light”
John Lennon & Yoko Ono—”Double Fantasy” and “Milk and Honey”
Paul Westerberg—”14 Songs”
Old 97s—”Satellite Rides”
Bruce Springsteen—”Born in the U.S.A.”
Beth Orton–”Daybreaker”
Whiskeytown—”Pneumonia”
Led Zeppelin—”III”
Nick Drake—”Bryter Layter”
Bob Dylan—”Street Legal” (Remastered)[/b]

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:40 pm

the other cd's that the sundays put were never regarded as high as the first one. they were great nonetheless. i love static and silence. here's some more to add to that list:

the cure - wish and wild mood swings
suzanne vega - 99.9 degrees
r.e.m. - reveal (to me anyway) and new adventures in hi-fi
radiohead - amnesiac
juliana hatfield - hey babe
elliot smith - figure 8
kara's flowers - third world
lode - legs and arms
abra moore - strangest places
garrison starr - eighteen over me

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:23 pm

how in the world is "born in the USA" underrated? the general public considers that to be THE defining springsteen album. if you're talking underrated by those "in the know" then maybe... maybe. but i could think of a lot of springsteen records that deserve attention by those both in & out of the know a lot more than that one. take "the wild, the innocent & the e street shuffle" for example. that album just blows me away, but i never hear anyone talk about it.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:35 pm

I'm going to be lazy and suggest Radiohead's Pablo Honey. The whole album was overshadowed by the success of "Creep" at the time, and then spent the rest of the 90s in the shadow of The Bends and Ok Computer. But it really is an amazing album. "I Can't," "Ripcord," and "Thinking About You" are up there with some of Radiohead's strongest material. Not too many bands can claim to have such a strong debut.

Another is the Smiths Strangeways Here We Come (the one in the avatar.) I am constantly hearing how the production was too clean (that's a bad thing?) and *gasp* Johnny Marr does a guitar solo on "Paint A Vulgar Picture"! The horror! I'll definitely take that album over the meandering, tinny sound of the Self-titled album.

And finally, one which I know I'm probably competely alone on this one is Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith and Devotion. First off, I will admit my undying love for Depeche Mode, and fuck you to all the haters. But even they said in interviews they weren't happy with the album, critics ignored it, and fans screamed the usual line that it didn't sound like their old material (again, that's a bad thing?) I ignored the album too at first, but now it's one of my favorites. It's no Music for the Masses, but if all I wanted was another MFTM, I'd just listen to MFTM.

I think the main problem with these albums was that they either had too much success with it, or the band was trying a new sound when the diehard fans were expecting more of the same. It just goes to show you that music fans aren't always as open-minded as they think they are, and it leads people to turn off to some really great albums for some really stupid reasons.

And grounded, I'm with you on Wish. It's the one thing that's telling me the Cure shouldn't have stopped with Disintegration, and its probably the only Cure album I can listen to from start to finish.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:55 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:how in the world is "born in the USA" underrated? the general public considers that to be THE defining springsteen album. if you're talking underrated by those "in the know" then maybe... maybe.

Maybe? I almost got chased off these boards last week by you lovely folks for suggesting that it rocked hard.

but i could think of a lot of springsteen records that deserve attention by those both in & out of the know a lot more than that one. take "the wild, the innocent & the e street shuffle" for example. that album just blows me away, but i never hear anyone talk about it.

"The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle" would be, by far, my second choice for an underrated Springsteen album. So, see, we agree on something.

Return to “Rants and Raves”