Divorce Mix CD Any Suggestions?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dratmiller
GLONO Board Playa

Divorce Mix CD Any Suggestions?

Postby dratmiller » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:05 pm

Okay, I know how pathetic this is, but I'm going through a divorce and looking to make a mix cd to "celebrate" the occasion.

It's a little bit harder than I thought it would be to come up with songs that actually fit the situation.

I'll give you the basics: Two weeks after our 15th Anniversary, my wife informed me that she had been unhappy for the last 10 years. She told me about 3 different affairs & that she was leaving.

Good news: I got the house, our son, and pretty much everything else. She simply wanted out. I just wish she had done this 10 years ago! Now, I'm staring down 40 and about to start dating! lol

I've got a list of songs started but the only ones I'm committed to right now are Warren Zevon's "Accidentally Like a Martyr," Drive-By Truckers' "Sounds Better in the Song," & Ian Hunter's "Wash Us Away."

Need some uptempo stuff, but not really looking for the "eat shit & die" type of lyrics. Just something to remind me of the good times and move on.

Any suggestions?

toto

Postby toto » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:26 pm

Alright, I know this is a bit cliche, and too easy, but when I went through MY divorce CAKE's version of "I Will Survive" became a bit of an anthem.... just a thought. Hang in there, by the way, it just gets better and better!!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:29 pm

Wow that's a crazy (and really horrible) little story. My best for pulling through -

Have you ever heard Marvin Gaye's "Here My Dear" album? He got the short end of the stick, and maybe listening to it would raise your spirits.

I know you said uptempo, but I'll still suggest the Afghan Whigs' "When We Two Parted", a fantastic song and the Strokes' "Alone Together" which might fit the situation.

Sorry

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm sorry that your life (and emotions) have been torn up like this, man. I wish you (and your son) strength and patience for dealing with the aftermath.

A whimsical and fun listen is Alex Chilton's cover of Gary Stewart's "Single Again", a hillbilly honker which chronicles divorce as only country folk can. It's on his CD Set; bonus points to the person who can tell me the overseas title of that particular Alex Chilton CD (hint: it's rude). Sometimes a little 80s schmaltz works; I like "Don't Shed A Tear" by Paul Carrack. Finally, I know that this next one crosses the line into outright nastiness (which you specifically requested not to introduce, I know), but that might be an emotion that creeps up during this process. Spin yerself a little "Dead Flowers" by the Stones.

Bonus suggestion: Byrds, "Feel A Whole Lot Better"

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:45 pm

Dratmiller, congrats! It's a tough haul all 'round, though. Good luck.

My initial picks:

Mathew Sweet "Over It"
Diode's cover of "Red Rubber Ball"
George Harrision "Here Comes the Sun"

and for those crappy days...and there'll be plenty (but not as many as before)

Posies "Everybody is a Fucking Liar" (with headphones if the kiddies are around)

Been there, except for the kid's part..and the getting stuff part. But you won in the end. Peace of mind is priceless, second only to your son.

Take care

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 pm

man, that sounds seriously bad.
the only thing i can come up with is The Police; King of pain, since it was just on the radio, and i'm not even sure that's a proper break-up song. take care then

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:02 pm

DJMurphy wrote:A whimsical and fun listen is Alex Chilton's cover of Gary Stewart's "Single Again", a hillbilly honker which chronicles divorce as only country folk can. It's on his CD Set; bonus points to the person who can tell me the overseas title of that particular Alex Chilton CD (hint: it's rude). Sometimes a little 80s schmaltz works; I like "Don't Shed A Tear" by Paul Carrack. Finally, I know that this next one crosses the line into outright nastiness (which you specifically requested not to introduce, I know), but that might be an emotion that creeps up during this process. Spin yerself a little "Dead Flowers" by the Stones.

Bonus suggestion: Byrds, "Feel A Whole Lot Better"

Excellent choices Mr. DJ.

I just love saying "Loose Shoes and Tight Pussy," by the way

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:33 pm

WIllie Nelson "Phases and Stages" is a concept album on the subject

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:55 pm

The Mountain Goats - Alpha Omega
Of Montreal - How Lester Lost His Wife
The Clash - Cheat
Roger Miller - Husbands and Wives (Yeah, you heard me)

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:56 pm

edit- Guess these might be too much E.S.& D....

Ramones - Bye Bye Baby
Stones - It's All Over Now
Stones - Respectable
Muddy Waters - Mean Mistreater
Outkast - Roses
Yaz - Situation
New York Dolls - Trash
Led Zeppelin - Black Country Woman
The Pretenders - Pack It Up

Of course, there's always D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette, but it won't make you feel any better.
Last edited by blackshoestring on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”