TIPS for live performance #1-14...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

TIPS for live performance #1-14...

Postby terrabull » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:06 pm

1. Introduce Yourself By Name

Too often musicians forget to introduce themselves on stage. Make sure you tell the audience your band name, but to really boost your tips, you should also introduce yourselves individually. Let people know who you are as an individual and you'll see greater tips.

interesting tip! i myself am not a musician (that is, not the kind that plays in front of actual audiences, per say, and certainly not in any hopes of making a living), but i know there are a few musicians out there out there. how would you rate this as a good tip, in your experience?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:49 pm

I like the idea. A lot of times as an attendee of a show I am unaware of who the openers are and more often then not if I do know who they are the promotors will switch the order on me or the card will change, and I'll hear an opener I like without any knowlege of who they are.

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:56 pm

ok, how about this one:

2. Go out into the audience with a tip jar

You really can't be passive when it comes to getting tips. You have to walk out into the audience with some visual reference that says "Tip Me!", and they will tip you.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:28 pm

I don't like that idea. If I like an opener enough to want to tip them, I'll seek them out myself. Or I'll buy a load of their merch. Being confronted with a tip jar just makes things awkward and forced.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:14 am

infectiousdisease wrote:I don't like that idea. If I like an opener enough to want to tip them, I'll seek them out myself. Or I'll buy a load of their merch. Being confronted with a tip jar just makes things awkward and forced.

Agreed. Nothing worse then being confronted for money you don't want to spend.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:37 pm

I find that "passing the hat" is very effective (but only if you are "waving the hammer" excitedly at the same time).

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:23 am

i agree heartily with the introduction thing... at the very least, a band intro. there have been WAYYYYYYY too many times i've stood around somebody (or been somebody myself) asking everyone within earshot "who are these guys?" and no one seems to know. the individual intros seems a bit arena rock to me, but it can be done well with a bit of the tongue in the cheek. while the tip jar thing can get you some dough (in my previous life as a rocker, we did it ONCE... i think a band member's mom gave us the bulk of the cash though), i too think it's a bit tasteless and would much rather have people buy merch if they enjoy the show. that way, they get something to remember you by (and hopefully tell their friends about) too.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Lep wrote:I find that "passing the hat" is very effective (but only if you are "waving the hammer" excitedly at the same time).

How about passing the hat or bucket and encouraging everyone to vomit,spit and pee in it like Liberace used to do. Drink it and then ask for tips. Whatever happened to showmanship?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:How about passing the hat or bucket and encouraging everyone to vomit,spit and pee in it like Liberace used to do. Drink it and then ask for tips. Whatever happened to showmanship?

Would Liberace drink whatever foul crap was deposited into his tip bucket? That sounds more like a G.G. Allin stunt...

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:46 pm

that sounds like the gross out contest urban legend attributed to Ozzy,Zappa,Mike Patton and more..

Return to “Rants and Raves”