dear Riviera, or: creepy interweb love thread, the sequel!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:33 am

Ok, all I remember(I was really drunk and in a lot of pain from a fall from the day before, hence the drunkenness part-it beat painkillers) is I met someone from here during I think "silent way".

Mr.Murphy was that you? I somewhat recall it being so. I just remember saying something to the effect of "...my husband" and you said "charli!" and well yeah, ok that's about it.

Not to say I don't remember the rest of the night just that well, the last bit of the night is blurry.

But yeah the show rocked from the Pilots to Quasars to Riviera. Honestly one of the best nights of music I've ever seen. The three of you need to play shows together more often.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:45 pm

Man, sounds like fun! Wish I could have been there. It's driving me crazy - I must see QWW live!

Anyway, congrats Riviera! Hope the new cd sells a ba-jillion copies. It's still getting extremely heavy rotation at Chez Shecky!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:07 pm

Yeah, I introduced myself to you, which involved a lot of yelling (i.e., it was a loud song being played). I tried to give you shit about using Journey at your wedding, but in truth, I admire you guys for using it.

It was a pleasure to meet you, and your husband did a killer job; hell, all the guys in all 3 bands kicked ass that night.

ryan

Postby ryan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:57 pm

very fun show indeed. i play in the pilots, and although he was blazer-less, Derek and the riviera boys brought the rock. I didn't get to see too much of QWW, but what I saw involved a mandolin, accordian, and it was fantastic.
Last edited by ryan on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryan

Postby ryan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:06 pm

so this is the famed Glorious Noise board. interesting

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:39 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. *sigh* My only consolation is having seen Riviera open for Tweedy at the Vic last month (and I picked up the new CD, of course). Unfortunately, my wings have been clipped (for the time being, at least) and Chicago is very far away.

Erica C.
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Erica C. » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:14 am

I'm green with envy that I missed seeing QWW.
The pictures make it worse.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:46 am

From the GLONO Newsletter:
I started a new thread for the Big Announcement. Here it is from the GLONO mailing list:

NEW RIVIERA ALBUM COMES OUT TODAY
Today is the day that Riviera's new album comes out on Glorious Noise Records! We've been waiting a long time for this and now "At the End of the American Century..." is finally available. If you could help us spread the word, we would really appreciate it. It's available online via MilesOfMusic.com, CDBaby.com, and Amazon.com (and pretty soon, Insound.com but it's not listed yet). People should be able to pick it up (or at least order it) from their local, independent record stores via our arrangement with Carrot Top Distribution.

We're still Streaming the entire album at gloriousnoise.com, and we've got a bunch of free mp3s available to download.

BUY IT NOW
Miles of Music

CD Baby

Amazon

What people are saying about "At the End of the American Century..." by Riviera:

"While labels such alt-country or Americana certainly fit Riviera's sound, At The End of the American Century also borrows from 70's classic FM rock and the most accessible of contemporary indie rock, covering multiple aesthetic touch points without the self-conscious dress code of hipster hang-ups..." -- Blue Mag

"Riviera's sound runs the gamut of confessional country, wonderfully harmonised pop and '70s southern rock. A good (if slightly lazy) reference point is Wilco's Being There (1996), while at other moments they sound like My Morning Jacket without the cathedral-like reverb. This synthesis sounds remarkably fresh and coherent, which makes for an extremely enjoyable listen, especially since they are confident enough to let the innate energy of the songs carry them along; you get a sense that they're having a great time playing these songs." -- Off City Limits

"Riviera has a diverse musical palette, boasting three strong singer/songwriters backed by bass and drums. Derek Phillips, Mick Radichel and Josh Boisvert contribute to a cohesive sound with its share of a rich variety of colors. Their collective wit is literate and wry, backed by rock swagger and a willingness to let a tinge of rock noise creep in occasionally (as on the leadoff track, "Petrified Possessions"). Harmonica fuels the straight-up Americana pleaser "Your American Past," bleeding into the 70s-era, southern-tinged ballads "Stranded" and "Changing Channels." Their recent appearances opening for Jeff Tweedy are well deserved, as a bit of Van Morrison and Wilco sweep across Riviera's breezy, yet gritty soundscapes." -- Miles of Music

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:09 am

Just ordered it.

It was the "Being There" reference that swung it ;-)

Any reason for the different pricing on the 3 sites?

toto

Postby toto » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:02 am

I've been absorbing the new CD for a while now. It's windows down in your car, open up the sun roof, while driving to the beach music! Then roll down a sand dune and dance around with sand in your pants! Cool, smooth and just good stuff!

Return to “Rants and Raves”