Dissing Wilco

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Dissing Wilco

Postby sab » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:15 am

I love it when I hear a good Wilco slam. Here's one from everybody's fave pop music critic, Jim DeRogatis of the Sun-Times, from a panel he was on last Thursday at Columbia College Chicago.

"How exciting is hanging out with Wilco? It's like watching paint dry."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:22 am

That's a sort of lame putdown. I was hoping at least for a "yo mama" snap... DeRogatis shouldn't have to resort to cliches, should he?

The Troof

Postby The Troof » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:54 pm

But the real point was that he gets to hang out with Wilco, and you schlubs can't - right.

But knowing DeRo, I would have imagined instead of paint drying he say something like - "...it's like waiting for soup to boil." Get it? - he's fat

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:32 pm

Touche!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:37 pm

A far more clever (and truly insulting) DeRogatis insult: "...Indiana homeboy Rose seemed to have genuinely bonded with Minneapolis-bred Tommy Stinson, though for anyone who ever loved the Replacements, the effect of seeing the punk-rock bassist covering Guns songs was akin to watching Charles Mingus jamming with 'N Sync."

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:13 pm

I agree with that one - Tommy Stinson and Axl Rose onstage together is a sure sign of the apocalypse...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:10 pm

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty lame slam. How about "How exciting is hanging out with Wilco? It's like listening to a grad student wax rhapsodic abour Sartre... It's like watching a basketball game played with flat balls... It's like bowling without the beer."?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:22 pm

"It's like seeing Vortis play"

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:33 pm

hmmm. i don't give a shit about the excitement factor of hanging out with wilco (ps. they're probably a lot more fun without some lame-ass guy who uses worn expressions like "watching paint dry").

at any rate, it's not a wilco slam. i wilco slam would have to comment on how much their MUSIC sucks. which it does. like music made by pampered art college students.

The Troof

Postby The Troof » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:42 pm

Ryan, is that you??? Careful or I'll drop a Summer of 69...

Anonymous wrote:at any rate, it's not a wilco slam. i wilco slam would have to comment on how much their MUSIC sucks. which it does. like music made by pampered art college students.

Return to “Rants and Raves”