Dissing Wilco

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:14 pm

pretty weak wilco backlash, people. why don't you put your heads together and come up a real zinger.

btw, the "insult" re mingus/n'synch is pretty formulaic/mad libs shite

as such:

watching (insultee) (do something for which thay are being insulted) is like watching (respected person X) (do something with) (someone/group who don't have the indie cred that person X is blessed with)

it's fun, watch:

watching Frank Black throw monkey poop is like watching ghandi make babies with charles nelson riley.

ok, someone else try.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:08 pm

pssst. hey, moron. if you're going to criticize people for being "formulaic", why the hell do you then give an actual formula for the same purpose.

if you have a formula to make yourself smarter, i suggest you use it.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:50 pm

psst, hey dipshit, my point was that it's an easy strategy to "insult" someone. until you can wrap your brain around that baffling concept I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. moron.

Jones

Wilco slam

Postby Jones » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:00 pm

Damn, and here I thought Wilco was one of my favorite bands. Now that I know that Jim DeRogatis finds their company unexciting I might have to reconsider.

All those albums I bought. All those shows I went to. For naught. What a fucking weekend I'm having.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:18 am

Is it only me or does anyone else find that Jim DeRogatis is inconsistent in his opinions? I'm listening to SoundOpinions from time to time and it seems like when they have a guest on the show, they're talking about how great this guest's album is and in other shows it's not that good and sometimes not even worth buying.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:27 am

Wow, tough crowd, eh? Who knew Wilco fans (and bashers) were such a sensitive bunch? And Wilco isn't even an emo band...

I think it's downright weird that almost all the posters of these latest volleys in this amusing conversation thread are as anonymous as they come... Guest wrote this, Guest wrote that... I'd love to know
    a) what motivates all of you to get so weepy that someone, let alone a rockcrit, is dissing your precious Wilco, and b) why Wilco's MUSIC is worthy of defense or slamming.

I'll start: Hi, my name is Jack, and I own Being There and SummerTeeth. What appeals to me about the former is its Exile-On-Main-Street sprawl and casual quirk (plus Outatime Outasite reminded me of the 'Mats when I first heard it); what appeals to me about Summerteeth is its charm and the fact that it's trying so damn hard to be charming in its Wilco-ness. I have not yet heard Yankee or seen the movie (shame on me), but I intend to. I was fortunate enough to see them on closing week at Lounge Ax.

There, how hard was that?

And any substantive attacks on the Loud Family? Bring 'em on!! I'd love to hear valid opinions other than my own.

Jones

Opinions are like...

Postby Jones » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:11 am

I like DJ Murphy's post, and I agree with all of his points -- I too was reminded of the Mats when I first heard "Outta Mind, Outta Site" (of course, I had been reminded of the Mats by two or three songs from the previous album, as well).

In any case, I can be mesmerizingly articulate too (and so modest), but I was running out the door when I made my last post, so I settled for glib. And besides, hearing someone dis music I like is akin to hearing someone complain about good weather. The energy it takes to defend it is largely wasted.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:57 pm

I hate DeRogatis with a passion. Him and I have actually had email exchange where I busted him for lying re a review that he had written.

Or claimed not to write. Yes, he is very inconsistent with his opinions and very lame in his likes and dislikes of bands. He seems to feel he is invincible and that whatever he says is the written gospel.

I'm in too good of a mood to continue on this path....

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:55 am

Any critic worth his spit acts like what he says is the gospel truth. If you don't believe in what you're writing, why offer it up? However, I will agree that he's alarmingly inconsistent, and a bit dry as a writer.

To the guest up there who is so alarmed about the "Wilco backlash," I, for one, was being sarcastic with my "dis." I assumed everyone else was, too, with the possible exception of the guest who came right out and said they sucked. Anyway.... sarcasm.... get to know it.

the timeline chick

Postby the timeline chick » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:52 pm

you know, it **is** like watching paint dry... or something to that effect.. no wild parties after the shows... a beer if you're lucky and some talking... its still fun

Return to “Rants and Raves”