get OUT of my HEAD.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

get OUT of my HEAD.

Postby nobodygirl » Tue May 31, 2005 9:18 am

After a disproportionate amount of time yesterday being spent walking around with "You Sexy Thing" in my head, and not even the whole song, just the first line and the stupid guitar part looping around repeatedly ("I wish the pharmacy were open; I would have bought a knife and killed myself."--the mom in Barefoot In The Park), and being that this is a Tuesday but feels like a Monday and I am generally annoyed with that, this thread is for listing the worst songs to get in your head or the worst songs you have ever had in your head for a prolonged period of time.
the end.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue May 31, 2005 9:34 am

"Beverly Hills"

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue May 31, 2005 9:55 am

I have, through Jedi mind tricks, been blessedly free of this malady for years. The most common technique is to use an equally catchy and annoying tune to oust the one in your head. Beware the Dark Side, however, lest your "antidote" become your new "affliction!"

I had a friend (a sensitive soul) who was literally in tears because Stevie Wonder's "Part-Time Lover" was trapped inside her tender noggin for weeks! Alas, what a "Susudio" or a "99 Luftballoons" could have done for her!

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Tue May 31, 2005 10:23 am

Barabajagal, that trick has never worked for me. I am no Jedi. I fail.
I take issue with "Sussudio" being characterized as an annoying song, though. I <3 PHIL COLLINS AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT. Except that fucking "I Can't Dance" song and all of his attempts at acting.
Anyone else have any similar remedies? Share!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue May 31, 2005 11:05 am

Mark Twain found the only way to get this jingle out of your head was to give it to someone else:

Conductor, when you receive a fare,
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!
A blue trip slip for an eight-cent fare,
A buff trip slip for a six-cent fare,
A pink trip slip for a three-cent fare,

CHORUS

Punch, brothers! punch with care!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue May 31, 2005 12:40 pm

Christmas carols, specifically "Silver Bells," "Let it Snow," "Jingle Bell Rock," and "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" are my personal bugaboos--in March, July, September--doesn't matter. I'll be minding my own business, next thing you know I've got a loop of "Well the weather outside is frightful..."

I wish these things would play all the way through but it only seems like it'll go for 8 measures or so.

*You know, nobodygirl, my wife and I were discussing La Phil the other day. Despite his maddening ubiquity in the 80s, time has been surprisingly kind to his work. I mean, he can't help it if he happened to write like 80 hits in 4 years.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Tue May 31, 2005 1:03 pm

Don't worry, I've had this song "Built in Girls" by the Wrens in my head all morning and though it's a great song half the lyrics are impossible to understand when they're singing.

So I just have the music and his voice singing "blah blah blah blah built in, built in girls" going round my head.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue May 31, 2005 1:17 pm

There is one song that, as a eleven year old kid, almost put me in the insane asylum.

That song was Human League's '(Keep Feeling) Facination'

I know it sounds silly, but I remember watching MTV and getting that song stuck in my head. It has that repititve keyboard whine, that plays over and over and over (sounds like an alarm clock). It was so terrible, it even kept me up at night. Eventually that annoying powerful song went away, but left an impression on me.

Years later when I was in college at an '80s party', that song came on and I had to leave the room. It still makes me cringe.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:29 pm

I don't know if anyone else here watched syndicated reruns of the Dennis the Menace TV show - from the early 60s, I believe - but that insidious fucking theme song will find its way into my head from time to time for no reason at all that I can see. In fact, TV theme songs are my worst recurring "ear worms." Maybe I should watch less TV.

Nah.

Best antidote is blasting it out with high volume attacks of extreme energy and aggression. The Stooges Funhouse (first three songs), Damaged-era or earlier Black Flag and early Husker Du will definitely "cleanse" your brain.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue May 31, 2005 1:52 pm

"Bus Stop" by The Hollies. I LOVE this song. Great phrasing Always pops into my head when on rainy days. Go figure.

Return to “Rants and Raves”