Out-takes and Alternate recordings

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Chris G
Dotman

Out-takes and Alternate recordings

Postby Chris G » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:10 am

`
`

I'm a total junkie for out-takes, demos, alternate versions, rare recordings of my favorite songs. I tend to prefer a rawer recording anyway, and thus sometimes prefer the demo take to the final product. As often as not, though, I'm just glad to here another recording of a song I already love... or a new song from a band that is no longer together, or an era of a band that catches a period of their work that I'm most fond of. Dawg's thread about Mix Tape Money-Shots inadvertently led to this thread. (They're also good for street cred... because most people only know the other version... *snob*)

Some of my favorites include:

A pre-record deal demo of Generation X - Night Of The Cadillacs that is a real 4-track in the basement with matresses on the walls type of recording (Where did Billy Idol go so wrong?).

The BBC Session of Le Tigre - Deceptacon

Peel Session recording of Siouxsie and the Banshees - Love in a Void.

For that matter, I highly recommend Joy Division's Warsaw Demos. There is a pretty rough cut of Interzone.

The '82 Peel Session recording of the Sisters of Mercy - Good Things.

I'll post more later...

`
`

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:58 am

I'm also a junkie for these things

I'm a huge Duane Allman fan so the Layla Sessions boxset is valueable to me and it has some really good stuff on it

Lately it is been cool to hear 2 demos by Jay Farrar that is on the Son Volt Retrospective. Not dramatically different, but cool to hear how they sounded at the beginning.

The demo disc on the AC/DC boxset is really cool. Nothing that beats the released stuff, but it shows that the band was always smokin

I also like how Calexico has released a lot of EPs with remixes and other songs. Even if remixes end up weird it's cool with a band that aren't afraid to fuck things up and try weird stuff

Has anyone here got the Jellyfish boxset? It has demos for both of their albums that are quite similar to the finished versions. It is fascinating to hear how they got the ideas and the structure for the songs down, and then the finished albums shows how they completed the ideas and made two fantastic sounding records

Also, I'll listen to any outtake, demo and unreleased stuff by the Black Crowes

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:14 am

I love the second and third Beatles anthologies.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 am

I am also a junkie for this demo/alt/snob stuff. Mostly I just want another angle into a great song's heart and groove.

The alt/demo version of the VU's Loaded: Fully-Loaded edition is great, hours of fun and fascination. I almost forget which is the official version of a lot of the tunes. Oh Sweet Nuthin' early version is a stand-out.

I have an especially soft spot for acoustic demos.
-Off the Replacement's "Flowers In the Dark" there is a great version of Can't Hardly Wait.
- On T. Rex's "Electric Warrior Sessions" check out the killer version of Summertime Blues.
-The best version I ever heard of anything is a recording from KLXU in '86 of "Jane Says"
-...which reminds me of the Sugarcubes doing a demo of "Sweet Jane" also in '86

If you like the Kills, dig around the internets for their Peel Sessions.

Anyway, that's a start for me... I'm gonna have to find some of your suggestions somehow - espec. Gen. X and Siters of Mercy.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:51 am

i've been dying to get my hands on the in my tribe demos cd that is floating around on the net. i love all that stuff. especially if it's on a official or bootleg cd. i love my liz phair girlysound recordings i bought in new york.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:01 am

there is a 3 cdr set of Calexico and related bands (Giant Sand /Friends Of Dean Martinez when they were innit) compiled by the sound archivist of the band ,"released" through a Calexico mailing list with "rarities" that includes a radio session with an awesome version of Black Heart (accordian in place of strings) as well as 2 songs that have for some reason never been released officially (Puta Party and Oki Dog)
Dammit Calexico keeps some of their best stuff hidden....

BoogieMan wrote:
I also like how Calexico has released a lot of EPs with remixes and other songs. Even if remixes end up weird it's cool with a band that aren't afraid to fuck things up and try weird stuff

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:13 am

Jiggle Billy wrote:I love the second and third Beatles anthologies.

I can not get enough Beatles demos and alternate recordings.
I have hours of stuff and am always looking for more.
Must....Get...More.......

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:27 am

russ wrote:
I can not get enough Beatles demos and alternate recordings.
I have hours of stuff and am always looking for more.
Must....Get...More.......

Yep. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Fool on a Hill," "I'm Looking Through You." I could listen to just those three demos all day long.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:45 am

I keep my Ipod on most of the day at work, and this thread made me decide to play my Kate Bush demos....If there are any Kate fans here that haven't gotten their hands on the 'Cathy's Home Demos' bootlegs, I really reccomend them.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Out-takes and Alternate recordings

Postby steve-o » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:54 am

Chris G wrote:`
For that matter, I highly recommend Joy Division's Warsaw Demos. There is a pretty rough cut of Interzone.
`

"Rough" is being pretty generous about it. It's still neat to listen to though, back when they were less about making their own sound and more about trying to be the Sex Pistols.

I'm particularly fond of my Radiohead B-sides/ outtakes/live/demo collection. There's some great stuff in there, One of my favorites is an outtake of them covering "Wonderwall," where Thom Yorke tries his best Liam Gallagher impression, before you can hear him and the rest of the band start laughing hysterically about a minute and a half into the song.

And I credit the Pixies Peel Sessions collection with getting me into good music in the first place. I was about thirteen when I heard the "surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation." It had me thinking, "damn, I should find more music like this."

Return to “Rants and Raves”