Out-takes and Alternate recordings

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Out-takes and Alternate recordings

Postby nobodygirl » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:05 pm

steve-o wrote:I'm particularly fond of my Radiohead B-sides/ outtakes/live/demo collection. There's some great stuff in there, One of my favorites is an outtake of them covering "Wonderwall," where Thom Yorke tries his best Liam Gallagher impression, before you can hear him and the rest of the band start laughing hysterically about a minute and a half into the song.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
I am fond of your Radiohead collection too. SO MUCH LOVE, STEVE-O.
Also, in the "Wonderwall" cover, don't forget the part where he goes "There are many ways that I would like to sing to you, but I don't know how."

Ho, snap, burn.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:09 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:there is a 3 cdr set of Calexico and related bands (Giant Sand /Friends Of Dean Martinez when they were innit) compiled by the sound archivist of the band ,"released" through a Calexico mailing list with "rarities" that includes a radio session with an awesome version of Black Heart (accordian in place of strings) as well as 2 songs that have for some reason never been released officially (Puta Party and Oki Dog)
Dammit Calexico keeps some of their best stuff hidden....

Wow, cool! I'll look for that. Black Heart is a kickass song.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm a total sucker for Dylan demos and alternate versions. One of my first cdroms was the Highway 61 Interactive disc where you could get to hear a dozen different versions of "Like a Rolling Stone"!

If you're a Beatles fan, you have to have the Esher Demos--John, Paul and George shortly after their return from India. Amazing stuff!

I probably listen to the two sets of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot demos more than I do YHF itself anymore. If only some would turn up for A Ghost is Born

Along these lines The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge is a fun read. It's always nice to find out I'm not the worst nerd.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Boogieman: I'm a big Jellyfish famn myself. I have their two studio albums, and I was wondering if the box set would be worth it. Is it just a rehash of the released stuff, or are there some new things there too?

I'm not sure this quite fits the topic, but Ben Fold's "Give Judy my Notice" I love much more on the EP itunes version than his "Songs for Silverman" version. The EP version is a true ballad, just him and his piano. The album version, while still good, adds drums and steel guitar and speds it up a bit.

I've also downloaded a copy of "Back in Black" with Bon Scott on vocals which I like a lot better than the regular verion.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BandyLou » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:15 pm

yes. yes yes yes.
there are some bands that have albums / eras that are not well represented by their official recorded output for that time, for example:

neil young / 1976- i really like 'american stars & bars' but it's sortof like a mixtape, some new country stuff plus a side of tracks from here and there. The 'chrome dreams' bootleg is another look at this era. Neil seems to be really good at holding on to stuff.

The who, after tommy and surrounding but not including who's next has some great stuff... my fave is the never-released ep with 'postcard,' 'now i'm a farmer,' 'water,' and 'naked eye' - recorded at pete's home studio, all released eventually... but they sound really cool back-to-back on a mixtape. Add a few more b-sides like 'don't know myself' 'relay,' 'the seeker,' etc... really cool. You get the american country music influenced who (!)

another good one - the combat rock version mixed by mick jones (rat patrol from fort bragg) - with combat rock era b-sides.

keep 'em comin!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:42 pm

Love this stuff. It started for me with two albums: The Beatles' "Rarities" album (out of print) and Pete Townshend's "Scoop," which was hands down better than "It's Hard." The Beatles and Bob Dylan stuff is great. I also collect a lot of Joy Division material, but I don't think that it's required listening unless you are a fan boygirl. Anything by Robyn Hitchcock is wonderful and the new b-sides and rarities by Nick Cave is excellent too.
I like the idea of learning a little bit more about the artist and their process with rarities. This thread provided me with a new insight on some rarities material that I didn't even know exisited, namely the Bon Scott "Back In Black" sessions (really!! I want one!!) and Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Of course, both of these items which I would really like to have fall a distant second to The Stooges "Complete Fun House Sessions." If anyone on these boards has that thing, I'm completely jealous and feel free to name your price. Hopefully, you haven't seen what they're going for on E-Bay...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:05 pm

worpswede wrote:the Bon Scott "Back In Black" sessions

Really? These exist? Which songs? Are they full band recordings with vocals?

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:26 pm

i've heard some serious debate as to whether or not the bon scott back in black demos are for real. there seem to be some serious chronological problems with their legitimacy. that being said, here are a couple demos/alternates/outtakes i really love:

beulah - yoko demos (came as a bonus cd from the store i purchased yoko from. i'm pretty sure i've listened to it more times than the actual album)
jimmy eat world - drugs or me (demo from the enhanced content on their futures cd... sounds a lot more like clarity, which is my favorite of theirs)
the fire theft - sinatra (pre-album demo, in my opinion far superior to anything that made their self-titled album)
bruce springsteen - iceman (from his tracks box set)

i'm also a sucker for the YHF demos, especially "venus stop the train" and "ashes of american flags."

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:06 pm

Dawg wrote:Boogieman: I'm a big Jellyfish famn myself. I have their two studio albums, and I was wondering if the box set would be worth it. Is it just a rehash of the released stuff, or are there some new things there too?

I've also downloaded a copy of "Back in Black" with Bon Scott on vocals which I like a lot better than the regular verion.

The Jellyfish boxset has 2 live discs and 2 demos and outtakes discs. There's a lot of unreleased stuff and unless you have a lot of their singles, then there's nothing that isn't new to you. The coolest stuff are the fan club tape, a Harry Nilsson cover, a song about Super Mario (!) from a Nintendo album. Neither the live tracks or the demos are dramatically different from the released stuff. The amazing thing about the live stuff is how the manage to nail those fantastic harmonies and at the same time play some rocking stuff. There are a few covers, a MTV jingle and a song called Mr Late, which is weird but cool, in their set. And there's some acoustic stuff too. Apart from the demos are a few songs they wrote for Ringo (a few of them are cheesy). There's also comments about all the songs from all the band members in the booklet.

It's hard to say whether you should buy it or not. It's not something I spin every day, but as with most outtakes they provide a glimpse of how their albums were done, which I find interesting.

There's some interesting Black Crowes sessions, that has Sturmer and Manning helping them out that are really cool. Chris Robinson was a huge fan of Jellyfish and I think he wanted to do some cool harmonies

I consider myself to be a pretty big AC/DC fan and I've never heard about any tracks with Bon doing Back In Black songs. I'd seriously doubt they are real, but it would be interesting to hear. I've heard about the rumors of Bon having written the lyrics for the album, but there's never been anything valid in those rumors and the band has always denied it and said Brian wrote all the lyrics (but the Young brothers provided him with some song titles)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 pm

BoogieMan wrote:I consider myself to be a pretty big AC/DC fan and I've never heard about any tracks with Bon doing Back In Black songs.

Okay, according to the AC/DC FAQ:

18. Is there a version of 'Back In Black' with Bon on vocals?

[Info taken from 'Shock To The System' by Mark Putterford]

No. Bon had several lyrical ideas for the album, but those were
abandoned by the band in favor of new lyrics by Brian, Mal and Angus.
Former AC/DC manager Ian Jeffrey claims to still have a folder that
contains lyrics of 15 songs written for 'Back In Black' by Bon.

and

35. Does Bon Scott sing a version of "Back In Black"?

NO. What you heard is from the "Thunderbolt" tribute, with Joe Lynn
Turner
on vocals. For further info on this and other tributes check the
"AC/DC
Tributes" section of this document.

Return to “Rants and Raves”