Out-takes and Alternate recordings

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:49 pm

I hope you guys don't think I'm lying about the Bon Scott "Back in Black". I burned it off of a friend's CD who found it on a file sharing site. I guess I don't have any hard confimation, but it certianly isn't the version you hear on the radio, and it isn't Brian Johnson either. I'm a big time itunes guy, but this might be one for a file sharing search.

ETA: Thanks for the confirmation there, Jake. We posted at about the same time. Nicely done.

Back to topic: I see someone upthread mentioned Springsteen's "Tracks". I love that set too. I've culled my favorie songs from there onto a single CD, and it ranks up there with his best. My favorites are "Loose Ends", "Zero and Blind Terry", "A Good Man is Hard to Find", Restless Nights", "This Hard Land", and "The Wish". I also prefer the Tracks versions of "Born in the USA" and especially "Stolen Car"

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 pm

Pixies: Complete B-Sides is my favorite collection of B-Sides. But I also like the Pavement extras from the S&E and Crooked Rain re-releases.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:51 pm

Dawg wrote:I hope you guys don't think I'm lying about the Bon Scott "Back in Black". I burned it off of a friend's CD who found it on a file sharing site. I guess I don't have any hard confimation, but it certianly isn't the version you hear on the radio, and it isn't Brian Johnson either. I'm a big time itunes guy, but this might be one for a file sharing search.

No, but it would be interesting to hear! (hint: www.yousendit.com :D )

WildMercurySound
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby WildMercurySound » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:05 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:there is a 3 cdr set of Calexico and related bands (Giant Sand /Friends Of Dean Martinez when they were innit) compiled by the sound archivist of the band ,"released" through a Calexico mailing list with "rarities" that includes a radio session with an awesome version of Black Heart (accordian in place of strings) as well as 2 songs that have for some reason never been released officially (Puta Party and Oki Dog)
Dammit Calexico keeps some of their best stuff hidden....

I'd like to check that out. There are some good Calexico rarities littered around the internets too.

I love the different versions of 'Crystal Frontier' and the various remixes on the Black Heart UK EP. Also, the Aerocalexico CD available from www.casadecalexico.com is amazing.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:56 pm

`
`

amighty wrote:...I'm gonna have to find some of your suggestions somehow - espec. Gen. X and Siters of Mercy.

I WILL LEAVE THESE UP FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS:

Sisters of Mercy - Good Things - ( John Peel Show, 1982)

Generation X - Night of the Cadillacs - (pre-signing demo, 1976)

------

The Sisters recorded a studio version of Good Things as well, that ended up on the cutting room floor, but can be found on some bootlegs. The studio cut is a very slow droaning version. The audio quality is better, but I prefer the faster paced Peel Show recording.

The Generation X cut came from a vinyl bootleg that I sampled to mp3 myself. It claimed to be the demo tracks given to Chrysalis Records before getting signed. It's rough around the edges, and a bit heavier than the Valley of the Dolls version.

`
`

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:37 pm

`
`

BoogieMan wrote:
Dawg wrote:I hope you guys don't think I'm lying about the Bon Scott "Back in Black". I burned it off of a friend's CD who found it on a file sharing site. I guess I don't have any hard confimation, but it certianly isn't the version you hear on the radio, and it isn't Brian Johnson either. I'm a big time itunes guy, but this might be one for a file sharing search.

No, but it would be interesting to hear! (hint: www.yousendit.com :D )

Hey now, you better share that with everyone... or least me too.

`
`

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:16 pm

The Stooges Complete Fun House sessions are terrific. I can and have listened to all the versions of T.V. Eye straight thru. Well, maybe - I like take 3 the best.

Also the Deluxe Edition of Three Imaginary Boys has some CRAZY demos. 10:15 Saturday night is a hillarious casio breakdown....

Thanks for those tracks, btw.

WildMercurySound
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby WildMercurySound » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Is anyone here going to pick up the new deluxe edition of DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, with a bonus disc of remixes and alt. takes? I only heard the normal version about a year ago, but since then it's become one of my most played records.

In case anyone cares, the extra disc includes:

1. Best Foot Forward (Alternate Version)
2. Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt (Alternate Take w/out Overdubs)
3. The Number Song (Cut Chemist Party Mix)
4. Changeling (Original Demo Excerpt)
5. Stem (Cops 'N' Robbers Mix)
6. Soup
7. Red Bus Needs To Leave
8. Mutual Slump (Alternate Take w/out Overdubs)
9. Organ Donor (Extended Overhaul)
10. Why Hip-Hop Sucks In '96 (Alternate Take)
11. Midnight In A Perfect World (Gab Mix)
12. Napalm Brain (Original Demo Beat)
13. What Does Your Soul Look Like (Peshay Remix)
14. DJ Shadow Live In Oxford, England, Oct. 30, 1997

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:02 pm

Just a little addendum to the Jellyfish boxset discussion (sorry so tardy; I was on vacation without an Internet connection): I think that if you consider yourself a hardcore fan of the band, it's definitely worth owning. The demos are indicative of how perfectionist they could be for JUST THE FREAKIN' DEMOS! The live cuts are some truly great stuff, esp. since the only live stuff I had from J-fish (aside from the 6 live cuts on the end of the Japanese Bellybutton CD) was a bootleg of a concert at the end of the Spilt Milk tour where Andy Sturmer's voice is completely shot. But the live stuff on the boxset confirmed for me that yes, that concert I caught in 1993 was truly as phenomenal as I remembered it.

I think it's worth it to get the album. Of course, I'm also a hardcore fan, so I'm probably not the best to ask, as far as impartiality.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:25 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Just a little addendum to the Jellyfish boxset discussion (sorry so tardy; I was on vacation without an Internet connection): I think that if you consider yourself a hardcore fan of the band, it's definitely worth owning. The demos are indicative of how perfectionist they could be for JUST THE FREAKIN' DEMOS! The live cuts are some truly great stuff, esp. since the only live stuff I had from J-fish (aside from the 6 live cuts on the end of the Japanese Bellybutton CD) was a bootleg of a concert at the end of the Spilt Milk tour where Andy Sturmer's voice is completely shot. But the live stuff on the boxset confirmed for me that yes, that concert I caught in 1993 was truly as phenomenal as I remembered it.

I think it's worth it to get the album. Of course, I'm also a hardcore fan, so I'm probably not the best to ask, as far as impartiality.

I've been thinking the same about the demos. It's just not a guy singing a song strumming the guitar. Everything is almost in the demos already

Return to “Rants and Raves”