Dear Wisconsin:

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Dear Wisconsin:

Postby nobodygirl » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:34 pm

Why do ye breed such idiots? (second item)

Essentially, this senator is attempting to outlaw all forms of birf control in the UW system--the way I understand it at first he was all "MORNING AFTER PILL BAD" and someone was all "hey genius, the morning after pill is just a stronger dose of birth control pills" and he was all "NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM OR ANYWHERE ELSE UNLESS BABIES ARE PRODUCED AND THEY ARE SERVANTS OF TEH JESUS, YOU DAMN COLLEGE FORNICATING COMMUNISTS."
There are phone numbers and addresses listed in the column where you can call and complain. Please, you guys, I don't know if there are any activists among you, but this shit is getting ridiculous, and if life gets any more The Handmaid's Tale I am going to get real, real scared.

--nbg

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:58 pm

I agree - this "Christian America" shit or whatever you want to call it is getting more and more out of hand almost every day. New bills, new laws, new ultra-conservative leaders. They're bullying their beliefs into public policy. Goddamm it! I've rarely been motivated to act but am rapidly nearing my tipping point.

Does anyone else who is more informed have further information on small steps that people like me can take?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:02 pm

There is a guy in Jersey who want the hockey team to change its name from the Devils to something "nicer". Assmunch comes to mind.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:51 pm

Laughing in the proverbial internets way, Miss C:
OL.

Dan Savage calls them the American Taliban. Very fitting.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:51 pm

miss carol wrote:There is a guy in Jersey who want the hockey team to change its name from the Devils to something "nicer". Assmunch comes to mind.

Well, they could change it to Devilles, and all the players could drive around in matching Coupes.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:55 pm

n8 wrote:I agree - this "Christian America" shit or whatever you want to call it is getting more and more out of hand almost every day. New bills, new laws, new ultra-conservative leaders. They're bullying their beliefs into public policy. Goddamm it! I've rarely been motivated to act but am rapidly nearing my tipping point.

Does anyone else who is more informed have further information on small steps that people like me can take?

It sounds like a cliche or old hat but you can vote and contact your reps. The reason these people get so much done is because they vote in a block and they are fucking loud.

Only 4 million Americans identify themselves as "evangelical" Christians. That's 4 million out of 275 million. We're talking about a fraction of a fraction, but when you have presidential elections that are decided by a 3.5 million margin (or 537 like in 2000), knowing that you can count on 4 million people to vote a certain way makes a difference.

But non-evangelicals are getting nervous. The Schiavo case made a LOT of moderate Republicans skittish. The GOP's attempted powergrab with the filibuster rule is making a lot of people nervous. Now is the time to let your reps know how you feel about things. Tell them often. Let them know you and everyone you know are on the same page. Show them your numbers.

Whether you support everything the Democratic party stands for or not, it is the best defense. Progressives need to vote in blocks too. Debate the issues, make your peace and then vote together. Dems are working on a new strategy for the mid-term elections. Get on board: http://redir.democrats.org/rdr/0032500Yn70004T

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:21 pm

Of course you're correct, D. They are already mighty bankrolled. Lesson: get progressive-minded rich folk to grease those wheels and keep religion out of science.

For those who still look northward for sanctuary, be aware that the Conservatives are moulding their party in GOP's own image. With the current felony-tainted scandal happening with the governing Liberals, be prepared for the echoes of Bible-thumping. The Tories have already lost some moneyied (sp) clout, but business still likes their blue suits and carefully coy leader, Stephen Harper. Like it or not, I think he'll be our next "leader".

No, it's not quite the same, but we have a LOT to lose. Universal health care is dying. Day care is crumbling under the crumb-crunchers. We have no military really to speak of and the longest undefended border in the world.

ETA: I just had to call the Republican Nat'l Committee to get permission to use photos. And I don't even get danger pay.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:02 pm

miss carol wrote:Of course you're correct, D. They are already mighty bankrolled. Lesson: get progressive-minded rich folk to grease those wheels and keep religion out of science.

Where religion and science clash, science will always win--if history is any guide.

However, in the case that nobodygirl talks about, where state money is involved in a moral controversy, the religious right can be more successful (in this case I'd doubt it, but only because there's still some liberals alive up there).

As for the religious influence on government, I really think it will take the overturning of Roe vs. Wade for people to really wake up to that agenda. And if this does not come to pass, and I hope it does not, it will take an event of similar magnitude for liberals to start seeing real electoral success.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:10 pm

Reason no. 544532452345498760895667435434 to hate republicans and evangelical christians.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:13 pm

Since we're on the topic of what the fuck is wrong with people.

It would be pretty funny by itself, if it weren't so indicative of a larger problem in this country. Yeah, so laugh now...today it's nipple tape, tomorrow it's burkas.

Return to “Rants and Raves”