Dear Wisconsin:

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Because evangelical christians started this bullshit.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:16 pm

miss carol wrote:There is a guy in Jersey who want the hockey team to change its name from the Devils to something "nicer". Assmunch comes to mind.

Yeah, I'm sure both hockey fans are offended by the name.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:48 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure both hockey fans are offended by the name.

Now you've gone and done it. Lump my wife, Jimmy Carter, the National Council of Churches, and Sojourners' Magazine in with the American Taliban. That's OK. But don't pile on us hockey fans. Fifteen fucking months, man. Fifteen fucking months.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:57 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:Because evangelical christians started this bullshit.

No, loud, ignorant BIGOTS started this bullshit. And NO, that isn't the same as any sect of Christianity or any other organized religion.

This is a mixed board and a very public forum. If you want to show yourself as a narrow-minded unreasoned hate spewing hypocrite, be my guest. But don't think that everyone agrees with your views.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:27 am

Little Timmy wrote:Dude, why must you spew this hate shit? I'm not an evangelical Christian, but I'm pretty close to someone who is. She happens to be a liberal, Democrat, feminist activist in our community, which is really less of an exception for evangelicals than you might think. She will never come knocking on your door; that's not her style, nor would her church encourage it. Instead, she tries to lead by example, which is about as good as it gets nowadays.

Well, not to second-guess anyone, but I think HH was (probably) referring to the classic Jerry Falwell/Westboro Baptist type of evangelical. I hate those jerks too.

We actually need more liberal activist type Christians to counter the nutjobs (since no one will listen to us atheist/secular humanist types). Worrying about your own business with God instead of everyone else's sounds pretty good to me.

Also, the Devils should change their name to 'Christ Punchers'. That'd show 'em!

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:50 am

Holy crap - I'm just glad it's not us south of the Mason-Dixon line for once.

Rhew!

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:46 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Well, not to second-guess anyone, but I think HH was (probably) referring to the classic Jerry Falwell/Westboro Baptist type of evangelical. I hate those jerks too.

We actually need more liberal activist type Christians to counter the nutjobs (since no one will listen to us atheist/secular humanist types). Worrying about your own business with God instead of everyone else's sounds pretty good to me.

Also, the Devils should change their name to 'Christ Punchers'. That'd show 'em!

Yeah, thanks shecks. That is what I meant, not all evangelical christians are rebublican extremists, but some are. Those are the ones I was insulting. I think we jut had a misunderstanding. Ms. C's also right, bigots started this shit, but evangelical christians LIKE Falwell, but not Falwell, sided with the bigots, like they tend to do.

Yeah, don't worry. I don't hate all christians. Just the ones that are nutjob assholes.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:46 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:

Here's the rub when the object of your hatred happens to be a human being, as opposed to an idea, such as theocracy, or condition, such as economic injustice. It gets awfully hard to avoid generalizing your hatred to larger and larger classes of people, thus painting yourself (with a very broad brush) into the same corner of bigotry and hypocrisy you so rightly despise.

For every Westboro Baptist, there is a Pullen Memorial Baptist that withdrew from/got kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention for supporting gay rights and racial diversity within the congregation. Not only do these folks vote in droves, they run for local offices, employ lots of workers, and generally make the community a better place in which to live.

The evangelical voting "bloc" is anything but monolithic. About 23% of voters described themselves in 2004 exit polls as "evangelical" or "born-again." About half of those evangelicals also described themselves as political moderates or liberals. The latter make up about 2.5% of the electorate -- not exactly a movement, but certainly not worth marginalizing, if you're a Dem trying to win elections.

Then why did 78% of all evangelical/born-agains swing Bush's way in 2004? Could it be that the center- and left-leaning of them picked up on the moral ambiguity of a party that regards them as only mildly retarded?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:04 pm

Well put, Little Timmy

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Little Timmy wrote:Then why did 78% of all evangelical/born-agains swing Bush's way in 2004? Could it be that the center- and left-leaning of them picked up on the moral ambiguity of a party that regards them as only mildly retarded?

This is precisely true. Think about the fact that a candidate for president who was both a Catholic and a Democrat lost the Catholic vote. That's absolutely mind-blowing. JFK is rolling in his grave.

While you guys are calling/writing your Congresspeople anyway, tell them to support an investigation into the Downing Street Memo (why this hasn't got more play in the US press is a shady question). With all the Watergate nostalgia this week, we should remember that, if people are vocal enough, shit like this really can bring down a presidency.

Return to “Rants and Raves”