Beachwood Sparks

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:02 am

Hey there,

I just picked up the first offering from Beachwood Sparks last night (in the used bin, no less) and it's beautiful. Well worth a listen if you're into Mojave 3 or the Byrds circa Sweetheart of the Rodeo. I had been told that their second album, Once We Were Trees, was where the action was at and bought it.

That album is good, but I was just stunned at first listen with their first self-titled album. Anyone else a fan?

- Nathan

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:14 am

I just sold back my copy of the first album. If I want to listen to stuff like that, I'll put on Gram Parsons. BS seemed like a good imitation. I bet they're great to see live, but I'll wait until they find their own voice to actually buy their albums.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:27 pm

Did you sell it to Vertigo in GR or over in Chicago? Maybe this is your copy, huh?

It does lack a certain individuality to it and does have a Gram feel, but I still think regardless of that, it's beautiful music.

They're new album attempts to go off on a bit more of a psychedelic tangent, but I don't think they pull it off as well.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:20 pm

I sold it to http://www.spun.com.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:33 pm

'finding their own voice' is right on - i caught a live broadcast on kcrw ( i think it's archived at kcrw.com, check 'morning becomes eclectic') and enjoyed it, and picked up the debut album. the vocals seem a little cautious, they seem to me to be a band that is on to something - even if they haven't realized their potential yet, they're worth a listen. it's hard not to be cynical in this day and age, esp. when a band seems to have drawn such identifiable inspiration from specific sounds from the past... but give 'em a chance.
peace,
BandyLou

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:58 pm

I agree with Jake and the nameless man. I appreciated Beachwood Sparks too, Proptronics, but I just kinda feel that it sounds too much like somebody else, so it doesn't bite me as much as something more original. But I agree that the record basically sounds good. The mix, the production and even the album art are all really cool. Some songs struck me as really exciting, (like the first track).

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:57 am

Once We Were Trees sounds exactly like Sweetheart of the Rodeo outtakes with a couple Mike Nesmith tunes thrown in. I dig it, but I agree with Jake that until they find they're own voice they're not much more than the greatest cover band ever.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:22 am

I am super excited about this band, but I have to admit that the first album was a tad disappointing, especially after all the hype we heard about these guys on the West Coast. I mean, as far as "underground" goes, these guys were the big buzz in 2000.

Still, their inspiration is drawn from a really deep vein of wonderful music that they can definitely shape into their own vision. I also think their psychadelic influence is a lot stronger than anything Gram did. And the song "Yer Selfish Ways" from the second album is just a phenomenal goddam song! There is definitely awesome potential here.

Also, since when does derivative mean "uninteresting?" White Stripes are as derivative as hell, but they write great, passionate songs. So what if they write them in a well-established tradition? I think White Strips might have taken that tradition and tweaked it to their own ends, but they ain't exactly plowing new ground. Beachwood Sparks offer plenty to look forward to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jaimoe0 on 2002-06-07 02:22 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:15 am

Don't get me wrong, I love Beachwood Sparks and even dig it when bands wear their influences on their sleaves. I just think the Beachwood Sparks have a little ways to go to develop a sound that is not entirely copped. The vocals on Once We Were Trees sound so much like GP that I really think you could convince someone they were out takes. Not a bad thing, just not as good as when you take your influences and make something new.

Return to “Rants and Raves”