Ween's "Baby Bitch" - a perfect song?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Ween's "Baby Bitch" - a perfect song?

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:49 am

I heard "Baby Bitch" on my way to work and that song is fucking perfect. I can't think of a single thing I'd change about it. Sure, Ween can certainly be goofy and "Baby Bitch" might be a twisted Elliott Smith homage, but damn. That's a great, great, great fucking song.

Big ups to Mr. Derek Phillips for putting it on a mix for me many years ago.

Are there other great Ween songs? Because all I have is that album with the boobs on the cover, and that certainly isn't anything else as good as "Baby Bitch" on it.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:02 am

I'd definitely put "Baby Bitch" up there. They have lots of great funny songs, but a few legit "serious" (such as it is)songs. If you have Chocolate & Cheese (arguably their best album, unless you're a total Ween fanatic) then "Freedom of 76" and "What Deaner Was Talkin About" are darn good pop songs. And "Sarah" from "Pure Guava" is a sweet song. I like them a lot but most of their other great stuff is more jokey.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:04 am

My sister put "Push The Little Daisies" on a mix for me once. Depending on my mood I either think that is the greatest song ever or it makes me want to drive icepicks through my ears. Normally it is the former, but regardless of how I feel about it if I could sing like he does in that song I think I would be perfectly happy.
I also really like "Even If You Don't," though again, I don't know if I'd call it perfect.
Please don't touch my phone book/My friends are getting pissed off

This makes me laugh every time I hear it, and I think it's the delivery. He sings it in this sweet little Beach-Boys-harmonizing voice. Ween are strange, strange lads.

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:17 am

"Ocean Man" off the Mollusk is a perfect pop song. Ween is a group I've rarely gone back to since I stopped smoking pot on an hourly basis, but whenever I do- I'm always delighted to find that despite their overt wackiness they just nail some songs perfect.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:22 am

Definitely. 'Baby Bitch' is quite a perfect piece of songwriting. Ween had been writing songs like that before Elliot Smith surfaced, though. They're hilarious, but they are also very, very talented songwriters. It's amazing at how well they can write across genres. Personally I love 'Buenos Tardes Amigos' off Chocolate and Cheese.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:16 pm

How odd that you would mention this particular song, I was listening Ween the other day after going through some CD's I hadn't listened to for a while and when that song came on I remembered how much I used to love it. I'm amazed at how a band can be goofy at times and write something like "Baby Bitch" at other times. I've always felt they were great songwriters though, even when they are being goofy. White Pepper is a pretty good album also. "Bannanas and Blow" is a hillarious but great song.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:26 pm

I like their Country album, and especially "You Were The Fool". Nothing wrong withthat song.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:59 pm

There are several...

"Sorry Charlie" from The Pod (my favorite)
"And your girlfriend, she's in high school
She says she loves you a lot
Oh no, she can't support you
So you better sell more pot

"Pumpin' For The Man" from Pure Guava"
"In the end youre filthy dirty, horny, and pissed off
And before you can leave you gotta sweep the fuckin shop
Its a real real bitch to be workin for the man
But shit, I do it well, so what the fuck"

"It's Gonna Be A Long Night" from Quebec
"You bring the razor blade
I'll bring the speed
Take of your coat
It's gonna be a long night"

These guys are shithot live too. Highly recommended if they come to your town.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:25 pm

love ween, love that album, love the song!

another (lyrical) highlight is 'mister, would you please help my pony'

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Oh my I am so happy to talk about Ween. I went through a very long phase in college where my friends and I would listen to Chocolate and Cheese like every day. Such a great album. I never got sick of it and I'm still not. Fantastically entertaining lyrics and songs with some very nice musical moments.

I have a funny story about the first time I heard of Ween. I was camping with some buddies up in Canada somewhere between Vancouver and Whistler. The place was beautiful and pristine, but empty - we were the only campers at the whole campground, which was very secluded itself. One day we went for a hike and stumbled across this Canadian couple celebrating their honeymoon (after a Vegas marriage) camping in utter seclusion in the woods in Canada for three weeks. Even though we disturbed their privacy, they were very happy to talk to us. They offered us some nice Canadian weed, some chilled South African white wine, and some other treats. They talked to us about wica and drug-fueled swinger parties, yet were very sweet and down-to-earth.
So we're having a great conversation, listening to music and such, and they ask if we've heard of Ween. We say no and they put on "Voodoo Lady" and "Buenas Tardes Amigo."
It was a very funny and memorable experience. Ever since, I've just loved Ween. Also their music rules. I will kill to see them live.

Return to “Rants and Raves”