LIST: Album Closers

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:19 pm

SlangKing wrote:For starters, I'd definitely spring for either Black Foliage or Dusk at Cubist Castle. Both are the equivalents of double LPs on single CD- with Foliage probably being the more consistent listen all the way through. Having said that, the "first lp" of Cubist Castle is probably their most accessible starting point (I'm thinking "Opera House" straight through "Marking Time"). Both discs suffer from extended sound-collages on the 3rd side, that always take me out of the album. I'm sure the collages have their fans, though- I just am probably not doing enough drugs these days.

That's a great assessment. I might go for Dusk at Cubist Castle as the opening dish. It's a little more colorful and varied and apt to sink it's hooks into you. Black Foliage is a better piece of art, a few leagues deeper but just as enjoyable if you're willing to "go" with them.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:56 am

no one has mentioned "Jungleland" off the Born To Run album.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:24 pm

On a semi-related topic, I have a song that should be an album closer. I think Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers" is a brillant album, but not perfect. Song #11, I believe, is a gorgeous ballad called "Fire Island" that would be an unbelievable closer and put the album into the all-time pantheon for me.

Unfortunately, they continue on with about three or four filler songs that just detract from the album as a whole.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:28 pm

Dawg wrote:On a semi-related topic, I have a song that should be an album closer. I think Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers" is a brillant album, but not perfect. Song #11, I believe, is a gorgeous ballad called "Fire Island" that would be an unbelievable closer and put the album into the all-time pantheon for me.

Unfortunately, they continue on with about three or four filler songs that just detract from the album as a whole.

agreed. nicely put

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:35 am

Dawg wrote:On a semi-related topic, I have a song that should be an album closer. I think Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers" is a brillant album, but not perfect. Song #11, I believe, is a gorgeous ballad called "Fire Island" that would be an unbelievable closer and put the album into the all-time pantheon for me.

The odd thing there is that the filler songs are packed at the end of the CD, as if they knew they were mediocre. Halley's Waitress indeed!

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:18 am

~
~

I just read the lyrics. That's funny.

Fire Island is a gay yuppy weekend getaway for well-to-do gay professionals in New York. Every professional gay man I know either has a weekend home on Fire Island, or has a boyfriend who has a weekend home on Fire Island. It's like, the Christopher Street of New York weekend getaways.

Where are Fountains of Wayne from?

~
~

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:03 am

New Jersey

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:26 pm

I love the way Neil Young used "My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)" and "Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)" as bookends on Rust Never Sleeps.

rdubblu

Postby rdubblu » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:50 am

"Goddamn Lonely Love" - Dirty South, Drive-by Truckers.

One of the best "being away from yer mama/papa" songs ever. And it doesn't really fit the theme of the record. So you're not left thinking it was a monotonous album. Maybe.

"Reason to Believe" - Nebraksa, the Boss. After completely gutting you for 30 odd minutes, Brooce offers a subtle glimmer of hope. Even if you got laid off, sacrificed your morals, killed ten innocent people or had to chase your brother out of the country, you'll still poke a dead dog by the side of the road thinking he'll get up and run. One of the most uplifting moments in rock. Maybe only because he sinks you so low.

Return to “Rants and Raves”