Rage Against the Online Ticket Machine

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:18 am

I know this comment has become fairly ubiquitous, but "FUCK TICKETMASTER!"

I can't believe that I just bought two tickets to see Ryan Adams in Detroit for $20 a pop. That's not too bad right? Well pile on the surcharges by Ticketmaster and the tickets become $28.15. I can't believe they charge 40% above ticket price for each ticket. This is just getting out of hand.

I wish more bands could do mail order like the Dead used to do.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get it out somehow.

- Nathan

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:59 pm

Contact someone at the venue and tell them how pissed you are about it. Tell them that you won't be attending any more shows there unless they offer a non-TM way to obtain tickets.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:12 pm

I'm with you, Prop - it's been a while since I've dealt with those damned highwaymen, but I just seethe with anger whenever I do.

I know this isn't much to offer, and like you said, it's a well-worn topic, but if it's worth bringing up, then it's worth responding with a big "fuckin-a!"

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:01 pm

Dude, just don't fucking go. I quit going to Ticketmaster events about a year ago and my life hasn't suffered one bit. If the venue doesn't have a box office to allow you to purchase the tix, fuck them.

Hmm, this brings up an interesting idea. What if those of us in, say, Detroit could go buy tickets for people who can't just drop by the box office, in return for people in Chicago doing the same thing. The Internet is a powerful place, it might just work, were I not so lazy to never follow through on it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:15 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of venues won't even sell tickets at their own box office until the day of the event. It's "easier" for them if you use TM. That's the way it was when Wilco played the Riviera over Thanksgiving. Luckily, they didn't sell out the second show in advance or else I'd have been screwed.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:33 am

Jeff - You might be on to something. These tickets were for the Majestic, not sure if it has a box office but I just bought tickets here in GR from the Intersection for the upcoming Guided By Voices and the Crooked Fingers shows.

I'm sure in just those eight tickets alone, I saved $30 or more. Hell yeah, I'd be willing to work out an exchange system for buying tickets for people. I'm pretty sure we have Detroit, GR and Chicago covered on this site.

Now if I can just get someone to send me some Pizza Popoulis (sp?) over from Detroit without surcharges!?!?

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:31 pm

I love it that Double Door, Empty Bottle, and Schuba's (maybe Metro now too?...who cares...I just go to the Club House) have easy, on-line tix purchasing on their own sites for a mere buck or two extra....saves time. Yeah, the Riv and Aragon need to quit relying on Ticketmaster. Those places drive me nuts anyway.

Sorry, after my last experience, I don't think I'll be going to Grand Rapids (crowd surfing to the Verve Pipe? puh-leeeeez!) ever again. But I'd be happy to pick up tix for you guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: still anonymous on 2002-02-20 16:37 ]</font>

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:08 pm

Anon - what were you doing at a Verve Pipe show in the first place? G-Rap might not be the hippest city on the planet, but any place will seem a lot nicer if you simply avoid the Verve Pipe!

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:43 am

May not be the hippest city on the planet?!?!? What?

Don't forget that we are the headquarters for Amway, the hippest mother fuckers stalking the streets hoping to sell you soap!

Speaking of Verve Pipe, I was at a show a few months back and that dildo (can't remember his name right now) was there soaking up all this attention at the table next to me. Turns out he was there to see this band Molly that's GR's very own Warrant revivalists.

So yeah, GR has it's lame points but check out Whirlwind Heat. Very, very suave band 'o' boys out of GR

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:49 am

Going totally OT here...

Warrant revivalists? There was a Molly in GR back in the day that fairly kicked some creative rock ass, so much so that the tape I bought from them so long ago got some play just last week. I bet Derek remembers them, too.

Return to “Rants and Raves”