McCartney vs. Lennon

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

McCartney vs. Lennon

Postby Dawg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:36 am

All the talk about the new PMc album has me thinking. I've always thought PMc was never given due credit as a Beatle (and that goes for Wings and solo material also, for that matter).

When I think back on my favorite Beatles songs, usually they are the poppier "Paul" songs. This is especially true when you consider each person's solo work. I think Paul still had that great pop sound, full of hooks and melodies. Lennon IMO is very overrated. I think there are two reasons for this: the first is, of course, the tragedy of his death. The second is the inability of the Baby Boomers to cast a critical eye at any aspect of their youth.

Paul gets a lot of flack for producing formulaic, adult contemporary crap, like "Maybe I'm Amazed", but come on, think about "Woman" by Lennon. Why does he get a free pass? And what kind of music do you suppose Lennon would be making today, if he were still with us?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I do enjoy Lennon's solo stuff, I just think he is terribly overrated often at the expense of Paul.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:49 am

I've spared myself the agony of delving into either of their respective solo catalogs, but as far as I'm concerned, John kicked Paul's ass all over the playground when they were in the Beatles. I think the distinction between the two only really becomes apparent in the later years, but Paul's stuff is just so damn saccharine. And I am by no means a baby boomer.

Damian is your friend
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Damian is your friend » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:55 am

LionIndex wrote:but Paul's stuff is just so damn saccharine.

That's not really fair to say. In fact, "Helter Skelter," arguably the most unsweet of Beatles tunes, was a Paul track.
I think, by the time Abbey Road (or even the White Album) was recorded, the two had become wildly eclectic songwriters with almost nothing in common stylistically. Thus, while everyone has the right to state a preference, you can't just write off Mr. Macca.
________
Ford Country Squire specifications
Last edited by Damian is your friend on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:59 am

I like "Maybe I'm Amazed" quite a lot, but I feel no need to have a copy. "Instant Karma," on the other hand, is a must. "Cold Turkey" rocks like hell, but I have a hard time thinking of a post-"Helter Skelter" Paul song that does. I do agree that the lyrics to "Woman" are cringe-inducing, but you can tell they're heartfelt rather than just somebody trying to find a rhyme while stoned.

So, obviously, John for me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 pm

I started out as a Paul lover, and then went through a long period of anti-Paul that I'm just recently coming out of.

I think it's abundantly obvious that George was the coolest Beatle.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:09 pm

I think what we love in John is his pathos, of which Paul seems blissfully free. John's music seems at once more "earthy"/bluesy AND more ethereal, whereas Paul is always facile, assured and accomplished, for better or worse. John is a more interesting edgy personality, though Paul had a bit more character.

But you're absolutely right: Paul is every last bit an equal co-inventor in the Beatles and gets far too little credit for his innovation and contributions in comparison to John. Paul wrote gazillions of fucking classic songs in the Beatles. And if you really think about it, solo he can go toe-to-toe with John's solo stuff. John was (when he was alive) not as prolific, and though his best solo songs are much better than most of Paul's, he didn't have very many, and he certainly had his own share of stinkeroos.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:26 pm

I think McCartney's solo career has generated some animosity towards him when it comes to the discussion of Paul versus John in The Beatles. As a tweener(tween baby boom and gen X ...they've got no war to name us) I prefer The Monkees. Sometimes I am forced to hang around with a 50-ish guy who is obsessed with Paul. He gets drunk and proclaims,"Everybody says they're a Lennon man, well I'm a MCCARTNEY man." But the guy serves plenty of top shelf food and liquor.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:27 pm

Jake wrote:I think it's abundantly obvious that George was the coolest Beatle.

All Things Must Pass is one of my favourite albums.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:46 pm

Ooh, that's a tough one. I always thought of my self as a Lennonite, but if this list is correct, McCartney wrote more of my favorites. Kind of like comparing a Ferrari to Porsche.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:58 pm

I think it's abundantly obvious that George was the coolest Beatle.[/quote]

Consider my thunder appropriately stolen. Motherfucker was a Wilbury.

Return to “Rants and Raves”