Tattoos

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Black and White Tattoo Poll - Tattoos: Cool or not cool?

Cool
63%
Not cool
37%

Total votes: 27

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Tattoos

Postby n8 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:09 pm

I have two tattoos, which I appreciate and enjoy every day and have zero regrets for. Now I've got a third in mind...

So what do GloNo-ers think about tattoos today?

Who's got em?
Who thinks their lame?
Who thinks their cool?

What about types of designs, locations, etc.?

Just a public opinion poll... and be sure to take part in my Black and White Tattoo Poll! (By black and white I am not referring to the color of the tattoo, but to the fact that there are only two possible, opposite responses - GOOD and BAD.)

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Bigger turn-off than a hairy bush if you ask me.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:16 pm

This is the only cool tattoo you could ever have:

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:31 pm

I've never been into tattoos or even really liked them for that matter. Having said that, I have one that means something to both me and my wife and was designed for that purpose solely. At the risk of sounding totally corny it is special to us, and that was the intent. Ever since I handed in my sash for "Mr. Universe" (1997 - 2002) I stopped walking the streets of Chicago with my shirt off, so no one would know I have it.

Funny though, since I've had it (got it in '02) I've come to appreciate really creative ones on other people. I have to say I'm still really turned off by neck, knuckle, and belly tattoos. Oh, and rectal. Although I'm warming to those.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:47 pm

I have two as well and I am VERY OFFENDED BY THE DIRECTION THIS CONVERSATION IS GOING IN. I think they are so common now that they're bordering on cliche, but I love mine (I got my first when I just turned eighteen and was leaving home, so no matter what anyone says it's significant to me) and I like the idea of decorating your body as you see fit, as long as it means something to you and you're not just getting one for the sake of getting one. If it's a band-related tattoo? WORST IDEA EVER. Actually, there are a lot of WORST TATTOO IDEAS EVER, so I think I will just conclude by saying they can be gorgeous and original and really look good on a person and they can also make you want to stab someone in the eye with a fork.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:54 pm

Yes, but what looks great on a 20-year old body doesn't look that great on a 60 year old body. When your grandkids point to that soggy, faded mush of ink on your withered arm and ask what it is, you'll indignantly cry, "Why, that's Betty Page! Look, if I grab the loose skin and pull it tight..."

At which point they'll flee.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Many of my friends are heavily inked so I feel kind of marked not having any. I'm pretty certain if I had gotten a tattoo in my late teens, I'd be walking around with a Stones tongue or the Ghost in the Machine logo (so whew!). But by the time I got in to figure drawing I began to think of ornamentation as almost graffitti, if not a distraction.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:22 pm

I've wanted a tattoo ever since I was about 16. I vowed to get one when I was 18. Well, I still haven't done it and I'm starting to wonder if I ever will. It's wierd because I have 2 really good friends who are the same way. We always talk about going to get them, but we never really get around to it.

My feeling is, if it looks cool/means something to you, they are alright. But fuck these tired ass people with butterflies or tribal tattoos or stars/birds as a pair on your shoulders or barbed wire. Everyone knows an anchor on your forearm is where it's at.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Well, I like tattoos... I love mine and that's cool with me. Really, if you want a tattoo don't do it for any reasons other than decorating your own body. There's going to be people that hate em, love em and just don't care.[/img]

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:42 pm

Not cool: chick tatoos of friggen butterlies, roses, dolphins etc.; lower back tatoos (friends have 'em and they look dumb), cartoon characters, arm loads of "collectors", and more.

Cool: simple and meaningful.

I don't have one for various reasons: no need, afraid of pain, it'll look like a bruise when I'm 80.

My dad has one from his years in the army (WWII). Given the image, I reckon he was rip-roarin' when it happened. I threaten to get one when I was younger; his glare drove me off :)

I think I'll remain un-inked because in 20 years, it'll be taboo.

Return to “Rants and Raves”