Tattoos

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Black and White Tattoo Poll - Tattoos: Cool or not cool?

Cool
63%
Not cool
37%

Total votes: 27

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:45 am

I totally want a tat, I have since I was 15, but my mother is very quasi conservative and it was OWT of the question...the only reason I haven't thus far is because I want an original one that's chic and sleek, not the boring typical stuff mentioned and all my designs are too intricate...

I was going to get "engima" inked in katakana on my lower back or lower abdomen when I was 18, but unfortunately the japanese explosion happened like moments after, and everywhere I turn people were getting japanese characters, so it loss its specialness.

Lately, I've been obsessed with the Russian/Greek language, so who knows!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:27 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:
Ouch. Bicep Daffy Duck and I are deeply hurt. I feel your tattoo should match, more or less, your personality. Hence, Daffy. And it's young, psychotic Daffy, not later, Bugs' bitch Daffy. So there.

Sorry, but I'm honest, hon. I was thinking the Tweety bird variety. Oh and flags. Canadians seem to like stamping the damn maple leaf on their arms. I also think "gansta" tats are moronic as are political ones. I worked with a woman who had a tattoo depicting a British bulldog wearing a studded collar and flat cap with "Oi! Oi! Oi!" over it's head. Normally it was covered by sleeves but one day she came in with a tank top on. This was a Jewish neighbourhood. Yep, smart gal that.

As for "erotic" piercings, unless earlobes are suddenly erogenous, then no. My ladyparts are very precious to me; there are enough holes to keep me happy without adding more!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:08 pm

Double that on piercings, Miss C. If that's your bag, cool - but those damn rings make me nervous - esp. nipple rings. I used to ask my girlfriend to take them out before we got frisky, but she hated bothering. As a result, I was always paranoid when I was groping at her chest.

Which in turn pissed her off, because she was into, ahem - rough housing if you gets me drift.

Her: "You're acting like a girl - grab those jugs like you want them!"
Me: "Well, take those damn rings off! I'm afraid I'm gonna pull 'em out!"
Her: "Pfft. Forget it."

After we broke up, she was going bra-less at a club while wearing a big, bulky sweater. Someone grabbed her sweater and pulled it in a mosh pit and the rings caught on the fabric, and...well, let's just say she can't wear nipple rings anymore.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:12 pm

No ink. Nothing in my life (yet) to warrant a permanent piece of body art. The special lady friend has some, which I'm cool with, but I know she regrets the one that is visible to the general public.
I was struck by the following Tom Waits lyrics when we met, but she didn't share my humor:

"And the girl behind the counter has a tattooed tear
'One for every year he’s away", she said
Such a crumbling beauty, ah
There’s nothing wrong with her that a hundred dollars won’t fix"

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
After we broke up, she was going bra-less at a club while wearing a big, bulky sweater. Someone grabbed her sweater and pulled it in a mosh pit and the rings caught on the fabric, and...well, let's just say she can't wear nipple rings anymore.

yech.
i'm a fan of natural skin. good books don't need pictures. but each to their own

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:26 am

Sheks, your post was painful...very very painful to read.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:06 am

::

I have nothing against tatoos, per se.

Eveyone thinks that everyone else's tatoo is cliche, but not theirs.

I've seen a few that I think are pretty cool- I have a friend with a very detailed B/W rendering of the DNA double helix pattern tatooed as a band around his bicep. He got it, I guess about 15 years ago. He doesn't have any others. It works for him.

...but 99% are just laughably trendy crap.

I mean, people can do whatever they want. It's their life and their body, but you did ask, so...

Tatoos on women almost always look completely fucking stupid. Tatoos on guys just look stupid most of the time.

In the past, I've designed several tatoos for friends. This doesn't change my opinion.

There are a couple of tatoo parlors near NYU. Several years ago I went with a friend to meet a friend of a friend who worked at one of these parlors when he was getting off of work. He was talking about which tatoos were "popular", how the young kids come in and ask what tatoos other people are getting to see what tatoo is the "tatoo of the moment". He pointed at one such tatoo on the wall and said he's given it to like 5 or 6 different guys that day alone. If you walk into a tatoo parlor to get a tatoo and just pick a design off the selection tacked to the wall, and say "give me that one," you're a dumbass.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:21 am

Chris G wrote:::

I have nothing against tatoos, per se.

Eveyone thinks that everyone else's tatoo is cliche, but not theirs.

I've seen a few that I think are pretty cool- I have a friend with a very detailed B/W rendering of the DNA double helix pattern tatooed as a band around his bicep. He got it, I guess about 15 years ago. He doesn't have any others. It works for him.

...but 99% are just laughably trendy crap.

I mean, people can do whatever they want. It's their life and their body, but you did ask, so...

Tatoos on women almost always look completely fucking stupid. Tatoos on guys just look stupid most of the time.

In the past, I've designed several tatoos for friends. This doesn't change my opinion.

There are a couple of tatoo parlors near NYU. Several years ago I went with a friend to meet a friend of a friend who worked at one of these parlors when he was getting off of work. He was talking about which tatoos were "popular", how the young kids come in and ask what tatoos other people are getting to see what tatoo is the "tatoo of the moment". He pointed at one such tatoo on the wall and said he's given it to like 5 or 6 different guys that day alone. If you walk into a tatoo parlor to get a tatoo and just pick a design off the selection tacked to the wall, and say "give me that one," you're a dumbass.

Wow, what a sexist remark to make. Very nice. Fits well with the adjoining attitude that women should only be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

Jesus.

And you start by saying that you have no problems with them "per se" but everything you said that follows completely contradicts that.

You're right, it is our bodies and we can do what we want with them. Hell, tattoos have been around this world longer than khakis have and yet you don't see me telling people who wear them they look like idiots do you? (an example, so don't get your dockers in a twist if you wear em)

While the only thing I do agree with that you said, is that anyone who walks into a shop and picks it off the wall(during the hour or so it took to get mine, my friend and I witnessed about 4 girls all walk in and pick out little roses or vines or butterflies or what not all off the wall and they ALL had them done on that lower back area- it was ridiculous)is an idiot. Hell my tattoo artist didn't even know who the hell Marc Bolan was and worked off a picture I brought in, luckily he copied it perfectly.

But, I think they're beautiful much of the time on men and women. And I even find the women who have many of them , especially the arm sleeve decorated, quite fascinating. Usually foretells of someone very creative and open-minded.

And for the record-I've NEVER met anyone so far who has one that's boring or unoriginal. Male or female. Friends that have them usually have done something different(no tribal arm bands or any other crap like that) and meaningful to them.

And the many male friends I have, well not one of them would judge a woman for having one. They're a little beyond judging a woman by their appearance and whether they have a tattoo on them.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:13 am

I wanted to get the Bacardi bat tattooed on my forearm when I was 19. Now I kind of wish I would have (despite the fact that I now know Bacardi USA hates fags). It would be really stupid to get that tattoo now, but it would've been a great story to have gotten it when I was shitfaced on 151 during my formative years.

I also wanted to get a Mom heart on my shoulder and went as far as having a friend drawing it on me, taking a photo, and sending it to my mother when I was in college. I'll try to find and scan that photo, ha ha.

Jolie has two discreet tattooes, and I think they're nice. She got them when she was 19 and hid them from her mother for years, who eventually saw them and called her a trashy whore.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:24 pm

A lot of older women (40+) get tattoos as a sort "middle-age rite of passage" thing. I knew a woman who, when she turned 50, got a butterfly on her ankle because she always wanted one and wasn't allowed. Ok. Good for her, but a butterfly? Why so unoriginal? Why so cliche? You're marking up your body for good. Yes, there's technology for getting it removed. But I see it like I do marriage; till death do you part. Why committ yourself to something just because everyone else is doing it? Presumably you don't pick a life-mate "just because" and hopefully you're pretty damn picky about it. S/he must suit you, mesh, mean something. You want that person around when you're 80 and wrinkled and the sex has waned, but you still have something to talk about. THAT'S why (I hope) you get a tattoo. At least that's my thinking, which likely explains why I haven't married yet.

Return to “Rants and Raves”