Tattoos

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Black and White Tattoo Poll - Tattoos: Cool or not cool?

Cool
63%
Not cool
37%

Total votes: 27

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Charli wrote:
Chris G wrote:::
::

I have nothing against tatoos, per se.

Eveyone thinks that everyone else's tatoo is cliche, but not theirs.

I've seen a few that I think are pretty cool- I have a friend with a very detailed B/W rendering of the DNA double helix pattern tatooed as a band around his bicep. He got it, I guess about 15 years ago. He doesn't have any others. It works for him.

...but 99% are just laughably trendy crap.

I mean, people can do whatever they want. It's their life and their body, but you did ask, so...

Tatoos on women almost always look completely fucking stupid. Tatoos on guys just look stupid most of the time.

In the past, I've designed several tatoos for friends. This doesn't change my opinion.

There are a couple of tatoo parlors near NYU. Several years ago I went with a friend to meet a friend of a friend who worked at one of these parlors when he was getting off of work. He was talking about which tatoos were "popular", how the young kids come in and ask what tatoos other people are getting to see what tatoo is the "tatoo of the moment". He pointed at one such tatoo on the wall and said he's given it to like 5 or 6 different guys that day alone. If you walk into a tatoo parlor to get a tatoo and just pick a design off the selection tacked to the wall, and say "give me that one," you're a dumbass.

Tatoos on women almost always look completely fucking stupid. Tatoos on guys just look stupid most of the time.

Wow, what a sexist remark to make. Very nice. Fits well with the adjoining attitude that women should only be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

Jesus.

And you start by saying that you have no problems with them "per se" but everything you said that follows completely contradicts that.

You're right, it is our bodies and we can do what we want with them. Hell, tattoos have been around this world longer than khakis have and yet you don't see me telling people who wear them they look like idiots do you? (an example, so don't get your dockers in a twist if you wear em)

While the only thing I do agree with that you said, is that anyone who walks into a shop and picks it off the wall(during the hour or so it took to get mine, my friend and I witnessed about 4 girls all walk in and pick out little roses or vines or butterflies or what not all off the wall and they ALL had them done on that lower back area- it was ridiculous)is an idiot. Hell my tattoo artist didn't even know who the hell Marc Bolan was and worked off a picture I brought in, luckily he copied it perfectly.

But, I think they're beautiful much of the time on men and women. And I even find the women who have many of them , especially the arm sleeve decorated, quite fascinating. Usually foretells of someone very creative and open-minded.

And for the record-I've NEVER met anyone so far who has one that's boring or unoriginal. Male or female. Friends that have them usually have done something different(no tribal arm bands or any other crap like that) and meaningful to them.

And the many male friends I have, well not one of them would judge a woman for having one. They're a little beyond judging a woman by their appearance and whether they have a tattoo on them.

hmmm.... first you say:

Charli wrote:Wow, what a sexist remark to make.

in response to my:

Chris G wrote:Tatoos on women almost always look completely fucking stupid. Tatoos on guys just look stupid most of the time.

...but then you go on to say:

Charli wrote:...I witnessed about 4 girls all walk in and pick out little roses or vines or butterflies or what not all off the wall and they ALL had them done on that lower back area- it was ridiculous)is an idiot.

You said "ALL" (all caps your own), I merely said "almost always". Tatoos are trendy. They're a trendy fad for contemporary youth. 90+% of kids get them because their friend got one. When they do that, they tend to get stupid tatoos as well. The fact that woman, for reasons I won't speculate, are drawn to teddy-bears, unicorns, butterflies, little hearts, and other cutsie-wootisie rediculous things brings us both to the same conclusion. I think they're "fucking stupid", you think they're "ALL" merely "an idot".

You make a pretty big fuss over splitting a fine hair, there, Charli.

Charli wrote:And the many male friends I have, well not one of them would judge a woman... by their appearance...

Yeah, I'm sure every man you know is way above that.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:46 pm

Chris G wrote:,,

Yeah, I'm sure every man you know is way above that.

Maybe I just happen to have had the luck and brains to be acquainted with some pretty decent and open-minded males. Ever think of that one?

And when I was saying "ALL" it was in reference mainly to the fact that they chose the lower back area which I believe is just too popular an area. My reference to "idiots" was in reference to people in general who pick designs off the walls rather then come up with something on their own. But you my friend made the comment that women almost always look bad with tattoos. But for the right person a rose may be fitting, so whatever.

Try not to read too deep into my comments next time.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:08 pm

For the record, anybody who gets a tatoo wants to be judged by their appearance. That's why they get one.

Charli wrote: Try not to read too deep into my comments next time.

Well, you are the one who brought the entire weight of women's liberation to bear upon me over a comment on bad tatoo choices.

Don't worry, the subject of tatoos isn't exactly "deep" enough to dig too far anyway.
You could say, it's only skin deep (insert cheesy rim-shot).

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:53 am

Chris G wrote:For the record, anybody who gets a tatoo wants to be judged by their appearance. That's why they get one.

I would disagree with that. I got mine way after the point of being comfortable with people seeing me without my shirt on, so hardly any one else has ever seen it. As well as being a bonding thing between my wife and I, it's also a reminder for me to not automatically be such a stick-in-the-mud, as I have a tendency to be like that. I know it sounds a little stupid that you would have to put permanent ink on your body to remember little lessons, but, much like the guy in Memento, I will still see it and go, "Oh yeah, I forgot." And sometimes it works. Not always, but I guess I'd need more visible tattoos for that. Probably by the time I'm 60 I'll have to have "Don't forget to wipe" tattooed on my forearm.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:10 am

miss carol wrote:lower back tatoos (friends have 'em and they look dumb)

I believe they call that the "skank stamp." Though I do have a friend that has the Rose from the cover of Depeche Mode's Violator, and it does look very nice and classy. Other than that, I haven't seen a single one that doesn't look trashy.

I don't care one way or the other about people with tattoos, so many people have them these days that it would be impossible to judge what type of person they are just from whether or not they have them. My only personal rule is that I won't get anything I can't cover up with comfortable work clothes, and so far I have stuck to that for the most part. Besides, good tattoos are frickin' expensive. I'd rather spend my money on music.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:14 am

quasarwutwut wrote:Probably by the time I'm 60 I'll have to have "Don't forget to wipe" tattooed on my forearm.

Awesome.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:18 am

"skank stamp."

Never heard that before. Pretty awful, imo. I wonder what the male equivalent is? Charlie, I think you and I must look into that.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:25 am

miss carol wrote:
"skank stamp."

Never heard that before. Pretty awful, imo. I wonder what the male equivalent is? Charlie, I think you and I must look into that.

Barbed wire on your upper arm? Those two seem to run in pairs a lot around here.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:41 am

I worked in a hospital one summer, a lot of old patients. The ones who had tattoos looked really gross at that stage in their life.

For myself, I can't imagine single image I might currently fancy that I would still think is cool in 20 years. Or put another way, I'd rather regret not getting a tattoo. Personally, I feel they should be "hard-won."

Tattoos are like goatees: some people that have them you just feel sorry for, but others you can't imagine without 'em. I think that some people are just "tattoo people," but that most people aren't.

Conversely, I enjoy a person who has tattoos because I make the assumption they are more libertine in lifestyle: I can party with them. Not too many uptight prigs have tattoos.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:19 pm

I was expecting him to jump in and show this off by now, but maybe Johnny's busy so I'll do it on his behalf. Just to show you how dedicated a man can be to his cause, here's a shot from a recent photo shoot Johnny Loftus did for Metro Times in Detroit. I think maybe we should all follow his lead:

Return to “Rants and Raves”