Tattoos

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Black and White Tattoo Poll - Tattoos: Cool or not cool?

Cool
63%
Not cool
37%

Total votes: 27

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Barabajagal wrote:Personally, I feel they should be "hard-won."

That sounds right. If you're from a Western society, ideally, you should only wear tattoos inked by your cell-mate.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:59 pm

My best friend from high school has a really big and long tattoo across her lower back.

Now granted she had this done when she was 19, and that was 15 years ago before they became really popular and overdone in that area. I actually like hers and I think anyone who had one done there before the last four years is exempt.

I think many girls get small ones there so often because it's a spot they know it will get noticed(kinda like the thong riding up in jeans look) and they're afraid of really getting deep into the more painful areas of the body.

Mine hurt but not super bad, some areas worse then others(Marc's hair is super detailed so that part hurt like an f'ng bitch, "fuck" was the word that came out my mouth very quietly about fifty times in a row as it was being done) but as a whole it was an interesting experience.

Now the ONLY time I had any issues with my tattoo was during my wedding planning and such. I had a very bare wedding dress and my mother was flipping out over what to do with it. After WW3 began erupting I relented and gave in to getting a tattoo cover kit.

It didn't work very well. This is the exchange that occurred on my wedding day in my mother's bathroom as I"m trying to cover it before putting my dress on:

Me: hmmm this stuff is super light but it seems to be working very well
Mom:(eyes widen like a crazy animal, and next thing I know she's got a sponge dipped in dark makeup attacking my arm ) Not well enough!!! This damn thing, you just had to get a tattoo didn't you!!
Me:(shrinking back in horror) Mother knock it off you're really scaring the crap out of me

The tattoo never covered all the way and she made me wear some lace shawl that ruined the effect of my dress. So I took it off after the ceremony. Marc is in MANY of our wedding photos. Ha.
Last edited by Charli on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Lep wrote:That sounds right. If you're from a Western society, ideally, you should only wear tattoos inked by your cell-mate.

There you go. I was thinking more like slaying dragons, surviving a catastrophe, long lost love, etc.--but "found love" works, too.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:41 pm

i heard a saying once that went something like "the difference between people with tattoos and the people without tattoos is that the people with tattoos don't care that others don't have them."

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:28 pm

creepy wrote:i heard a saying once that went something like "the difference between people with tattoos and the people without tattoos is that the people with tattoos don't care that others don't have them."

I had to reread that to get it, but that's so true.

Personally, I don't have a tattoo and will probably never get one because I am chicken-shit regarding pain. I don't like pain. I don't go out of my way to find pain. Done well on other people though, I think tattoos can be cool.

And I agree with everything said about lower back tattoos. They're icky.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:31 pm

given the cover up policy of MLB, I tend to agree in part.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:07 pm

steve-o wrote:
Barbed wire on your upper arm? Those two seem to run in pairs a lot around here.

I just made this up, but how does "mook marker" work as a male "skank stamp" equivalent? 'Cause that's what I think when I see the tribal/barbed wire tattoo.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:16 pm

creepy wrote:i heard a saying once that went something like "the difference between people with tattoos and the people without tattoos is that the people with tattoos don't care that others don't have them."

That's why when tattooed friends ask why you wouldn't want one, you can't say "I prefer skin as is...without markings".

Kind of like the kids vs no kids people. Some parents have no problem saying "life had no meaning before my kids" or "you don't know what real love is until..." but if I run around saying "sometimes it's great not having kids" I'm the jerk.

And yet each of us is telling the truth.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:33 pm

blackshoestring wrote:if I run around saying "sometimes it's great not having kids" I'm the jerk.

This should never stop you from lording your freedom over your parental pals.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:52 am

Funny, cause I totally disagree with that.
I don't pressure anyone I know without tattoos to get them and I don't think that I am more artistic or pained or angst-filled or better than anyone because I have them. Nor do I wear clothes to display them intentionally. I have them because I wanted them, I was very young when I got them, and I still like them. That's it, that's all. If I knew anyone who felt that way we would most likely not stay friends for very long. That's a huge generalization that might fit better if you substitute the word straight-edge or vegan or something.
That said, I would like to point out that I don't actually have any ladyparts piercings and have no intentions of ever getting them and I fear that the last thing that I wrote might be misleading you people to think that I do. I am not that much of a masochist/whore.

Return to “Rants and Raves”