Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:14 am

n8 wrote:Personally the one I really dug was SlangKing's. I borrowed a bunch of the tracks ("She's Looking Good," "Kid In Candy," "Great Big Kiss," and "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)") for a comp for my then-girlfriend. Now she's my fiance, so I guess she liked it :)
Then again, it could be the 30-some other comps I've made for her over the years. When you've found a calling, follow it.

I was trying to remember who had done that mix. It's actually sitting right next to me right now on my work computer. That Jacobites song gets played quite a bit.

Which reminds me: anyone want to weigh on in if it's appropriate to use a track from someone's mixtape for one of your own mixtapes to someone else? I've done it a couple of times, but it still feels weird. I don't like taking the credit when someone else has done the legwork for me. Am I the only one?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 am

First up, Jaimoe, great mix!! I just finished it today, and there's a hella lotta good stuff on it!! Thanks again for that other CD favor, too.

Second, addressing Steve-O's question, I see absolutely nothing wrong with using another person's mix tape track. You have the option to give credit where it's due, but even this is optional, and the lack of this credit extension is not in and of itself a faux pas. But think on the question a bit harder; the reason that "Song X" was put on the other person's mix tape/CD in the first place is that the mix creator wanted to turn you on to some sounds that you might not have heard anywhere else before. If you end up liking said song, the mix creator is stoked. If you then go as far as to put said song on a mix of your own creation, the original mix creator should be even more thrilled that the song is getting out to that many more people.

For example, if I make a mix for Sven, and put on there the original version of the Wesley Willis Fiasco's "The Bar Is Closed", he loves it, plays it on his radio show, and it inspires even one of his listeners to buy a Wesley Willis CD, that would thrill me to no end. See?

Return to “Rants and Raves”