New Liz Phair...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

New Liz Phair...

Postby Dawg » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 pm

anyone planning on getting it, or are you just not bothering?

I'm planning on buying it tomorrw, but then again, I kinda liked the last album (Ok, except for three or four songs)

ediebrickellfan

Postby ediebrickellfan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:38 pm

already bought it and really liking it. been playing it all week since i got it on monday. it really comes the closest, of the last two cd's, to being the liz phair of old. some of the lyrics kill me. there are four that really stick out for me:

1. "oooh boy i'd love to help give you enough rope to hang youself"
2. "oh my look at you! the wild eye ingenue"
3. " let your body move real slow. tell your body we left yesterday"
4. " i don't need your rock n'roll to stay in tune and open to you."

there are so many others as well. there are some bad lyrics but it is an overall improvement from the last cd. the obvious pop sheen of liz phair has been replaced on here as well. it's still got a pop sound but it's much more organic and better suited to liz phair's style. her vocals aren't trying as hard either. there are some moments of that but her way of phrasing and saying things in that quirky way is back. i would recommend the cd. it's such an improvement on the problems with the last one.

also there are glimpes of her girlysound days, espically on the song got my own thing. that song has the line "ooh boy i'd love to help give you enough rope to hang yourself". when she sings that line though it sounds just like the hootcie in candyman's knocking boots. that line is "ooh boy i love you so. never ever ever gonna let you go. classic. just like the old days.

DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

improvement yes

Postby DavidMac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:31 am

but from the songs I download at best a couple unoffensive songs.
It has the feel of 10-12 songs that didnt have sharp of enough hooks to make the new Sheryl Crow CD.
And unfortunately is missing the unintentional or intentional comedic songs like Favorite or HWC from the last CD which outdid anything Christopher Guess could ever achieve in the song parody department.
Liz is done as a serious artist and I dont ever see her selling enough records to attract long term interest from the Majors so she may want to try another line of work.

ediebrickellfan

Postby ediebrickellfan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:37 am

that may be true, but at the moment it's in the top ten on itunes and top 20 on amazon. we'll know for sure on wednesday what she does. but it looks to be doing pretty well. of course it doesn't have the contraversy behind it like the last one did or like fiona has with her new one. it seems the contraversy has worked out great for fiona too.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:39 am

Everyone knows I'm a Liz Phair apologist, and I loved her last album. That being said, I'm not so sure about this one. It sounds like her cry for help. Don't get me wrong, there are still some fetching tunes here. And while I'm not a fan of the single, it's not the album's pop appeal - or lack thereof - that's holding me back from praising it. The songwriting's just not as strong as any of her other albums. I mean, her last album had some heavy, heavy hooks, and attitude to boot. This one, I'm not hearing it. Hopefully, my mind will change with more listens.

That being said, the new Fiona Apple album is something altogether different. She's established herself as a major artist in my mind. It's up there with Springsteen's newest as my album of the year.

ediebrickellfan

Postby ediebrickellfan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:44 am

is the new fiona really good? i thought about getting it but it seems so caculated. it also seems overproduced. i've heard the leak version is 10 times better. i decided to wait on that one and see what everyone thinks. i hope you get into the liz one more too. there are some great lines in there. better than her last one and i was a bigger apologist than you. anyway let me know on the fiona one.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:31 pm

ediebrickellfan wrote:is the new fiona really good? i thought about getting it but it seems so caculated. it also seems overproduced. i've heard the leak version is 10 times better. i decided to wait on that one and see what everyone thinks. i hope you get into the liz one more too. there are some great lines in there. better than her last one and i was a bigger apologist than you. anyway let me know on the fiona one.

Yeah, I'll definitely give the new Liz a lot more chances. She deserves it. And you're right: there are some great lines on the album.

The new Fiona Apple record - and I've only listened to it four or five times - is amazing. As far as the production goes, it's PERFECT. Calculated or not, she deserves every ounce of publicity she gets for the album's backstory.

I've never heard the bootleg version and have no interest to, beyond mild curiosity. The way I see it, bootlegs are not real albums, since the artist never put his or her stamp of approval on them. (There are a few exceptions, like some of Ryan Adams' albums from 2001, which he wanted to release, but the record company didn't want to.) In fact, bootlegs are, in some ways, downright evil. I wouldn't want anyone hearing the crap I record that I don't deem ready for release.

ediebrickellfan

Postby ediebrickellfan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:54 pm

but the way i heard the story sony didn't want the original version of extraordinary machine out because it wasn't pop enough. then fiona finally opened her mouth to say that she was behind it all. it took 2 years for this thing to finally see a release. i really wonder how much of this is fiona's doing. i will probably at some point give it a spin though. just a bit leary. 6 years (with 2 years of continually pushing back the release date) sounds like overproducing to me. chinese democracy anyone?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:01 pm

I'd really like this one to be good, but it always makes me nervous when a record company puts that little marketing effort into a new release (particularly compared to the last one)...almost like throwing it to the wolves.

Andy Bobo

Postby Andy Bobo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:05 am

I've always felt like Fiona Apple is a major artist. I don't understand why people are so willing to dismiss her.

The backstory behind the album is not "calculated," either. Not sure what that means.

Return to “Rants and Raves”