Pretenders - The Singles. Awesome.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Pretenders - The Singles. Awesome.

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:21 am

We were on our way out the door, and Jolie grabbed the Pretenders' Singles collection. This was probably one of the first 50 cds I ever bought (released in 1987), but I probably haven't listened to it five or six years.

It's totally fucking awesome.

1. Stop Your Sobbing
2. Kid
3. Brass In Pocket
4. Talk Of The Town
5. I Go To Sleep
6. Day After Day
7. Message Of Love
8. Back On The Chain Gang
9. Middle Of The Road
10. 2,000 Miles
11. Show Me
12. Thin Line Between Love And Hate
13. Don't Get Me Wrong
14. Hymn To Her
15. My Baby
16. I Got You Babe

I'm not a big fan of the "I Go To Sleep" cover. And "Thin Line Between Love And Hate" is a mediocre cover of a pretty lame soul ballad. And "I Got You Babe" is just sort of silly. But everything else on this whole disc is fucking amazing!

Two questions:

1. Has any band who's released a Greatest Hits comp gone on to record anything good after that?

2. What are the best Pretenders songs that are not included on this Singles compilation?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 am

"If there's a betta gal in the rock music than Chrissy Hynde I haven't heard her. The Doors still suck. I've got a smile for everyone I meet. As long as they don't try taking my trophy wife or grabbing me by my suspenders and dragging my ass through the street." Now c'mon gentiles!
----Larry King

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am

Jake, their first album is great. I have it on vinyl and can rip you some selections but then you should go out and buy it. James Honeyman Scott was just a fantastic guitarist. Such a great tone and sense of melody.

And don't forget their Windows of the World/1969 single featuring Johnny Marr.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:45 am

Don't forget 'Learning To Crawl'. Back On The Chain Gang still gives me chills.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:48 am

chrissie has such a great voice. i've got their greatest hits disk, which besides splendid above songs, features cringeworthy versions of spiritual high(state of independence) and forever young.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Jake, their first album is great. I have it on vinyl and can rip you some selections but then you should go out and buy it.

I have it on vinyl, too. But I don't think I've ever listened to it... (Hence, the huge life-change I'm dealing with.)

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Jake wrote:I have it on vinyl, too. But I don't think I've ever listened to it... (Hence, the huge life-change I'm dealing with.)

Take a hint, dude.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Pretenders - The Singles. Awesome.

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:30 pm

Jake wrote:Has any band who's released a Greatest Hits comp gone on to record anything good after that?

Off the top of my head: The Cure (after Staring at the Sea, not Greatest Hits), Bob Dylan, R.E.M. (if you count Eponymous as a Greatest Hits), one could argue U2, but I'm not in the mood to attempt to defend their recent output against juggernauts like The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, even if I thought it could be done (which I don't). Elvis Costello seems to have survived his Greatest-Hitting...

Okay, the top of my head is exhausted. If I think of any more upon further head digging, I'll post them.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:47 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:
Off the top of my head: The Cure (after Staring at the Sea, not Greatest Hits), Bob Dylan, R.E.M. (if you count Eponymous as a Greatest Hits), one could argue U2, but I'm not in the mood to attempt to defend their recent output against juggernauts like The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, even if I thought it could be done (which I don't). Elvis Costello seems to have survived his Greatest-Hitting...

Okay, the top of my head is exhausted. If I think of any more upon further head digging, I'll post them.

Also:

The Rolling Stones (good stuff after "Hot Rocks")
Bowie (good stuff after "changesbowie1" originally was released)
Tom Petty (Debateable, but I think Wildflowers is a stellar album, and it came out after the Greatest Hits Album)
Elton John (If you like his stuff, he certainly had some quality albums after the release of his Greatest Hits. Most notably, Captain Fantastic and Blue Moves.)

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 pm

Jake wrote:2. What are the best Pretenders songs that are not included on this Singles compilation?

from Pretenders I
Mystery Achievment *****
Tattoed Love Boys*****
The Wait*****

from Extended Play
Cuban Slide***

from Pretenders II
Pack It Up****

from Learning To Crawl
Thumbelina**

Pretenders I is solid across the board. I'm with you on the Thin Line. Chrissie did some much better covers on various soundtracks over the years: Angel of the Morning, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Goodbye (Steve Earle's), also Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -all preferable to Thin Line or her Room Full of Mirrors, imo.

Return to “Rants and Raves”