Pretenders - The Singles. Awesome.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:11 pm

Sly and the Family Stone put out at least one great album after their Greatest Hits.

Sonic Youth's in kind of the same position as REM, putting out a greatest hits after they went major, but they've certainly done good stuff since Screaming Fields of Sonic Love.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Pretenders - The Singles. Awesome.

Postby ryanking » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Amen, dude. What a bunch of great songs. Isn't it cool how the band could go from straight up rock and roll crunch to cuddlin' up and pulling your heart strings?

I heard Pretenders: The Singles when I was a senior in high school riding Amtrak from Toledo to Washington, DC. Looking out a window at meandering rivers, hazy valleys, to Chrissie's smoky voice. Went through every pennsylvanian and west virginian small town on the way, saw two people getting their hair cut. "Thin Line" was actually one of my favorites because I could totally imagine people in those small towns having moments like the one in the song.

Great record, thanks for mentioning it.

totally agree about James Honeyman-Scott.

You know, "Show Me" is an awesome song too. It goes straight for the heart.

Jake wrote:We were on our way out the door, and Jolie grabbed the Pretenders' Singles collection. This was probably one of the first 50 cds I ever bought (released in 1987), but I probably haven't listened to it five or six years.

It's totally fucking awesome.

1. Stop Your Sobbing
2. Kid
3. Brass In Pocket
4. Talk Of The Town
5. I Go To Sleep
6. Day After Day
7. Message Of Love
8. Back On The Chain Gang
9. Middle Of The Road
10. 2,000 Miles
11. Show Me
12. Thin Line Between Love And Hate
13. Don't Get Me Wrong
14. Hymn To Her
15. My Baby
16. I Got You Babe

I'm not a big fan of the "I Go To Sleep" cover. And "Thin Line Between Love And Hate" is a mediocre cover of a pretty lame soul ballad. And "I Got You Babe" is just sort of silly. But everything else on this whole disc is fucking amazing!

Two questions:

1. Has any band who's released a Greatest Hits comp gone on to record anything good after that?

2. What are the best Pretenders songs that are not included on this Singles compilation?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:29 pm

"The Waiting" should definitely have been on that album. What a fantastic song. And, yes, every good rock and roll fan should own the debut. Essential stuff.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:09 pm

a little off topic, but i just had to chime in. i can't go through xmas without hearing "2,000 miles" by the pretenders at least once. it's my favorite song for that time of the year.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:57 pm

vitas wrote:a little off topic, but i just had to chime in. i can't go through xmas without hearing "2,000 miles" by the pretenders at least once. it's my favorite song for that time of the year.

Absolutely. The Pretenders were always best as a singles band. Maybe one or two album tracks are good, but the rest are often filler. So, that makes this "best of" a decent purchase. That and the 1st album, if only for the most awesome "Precious."

Ok. I'm spent.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:06 pm

the pretenders are definitely a "best of" kind of band. though, if you are going to have the singles collection on cd and have the first pretenders album on vinyl, i would suggest picking up "pretenders ii" on vinyl, simply as a companion piece for their debut. i mean, it's probably only gonna cost you a dollar down at your favorite record shop. plus, the first two albums are the only true outings for the pretneders as a band. after that it's really just chrissie hynde solo under a different name.

here's my highlights since the singles collection:

- "when will i see you?" off "packed", only because the johnny marr connection. otherwise, a blah album.

- "night in my veins" off "last of the independents"

- "pop star" and "who's who" off "viva el amor". best offering by the pretenders in the '90's, but that's not saying too much. definitely worth looking into on the cheap.

- never gave the last proper studio album "loose screw" a listen, so no input there.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Love the album Jake. I've had it on vinyl, tape cassette(which is somewhere lost in my car) and on Cd(which is just lost).

Kid is still one of my favorite songs of theirs to date. A song I've always wished I could personally cover. If I had a band. And performed live.

As for the Greatest Hits question, the other band I can think of that has an awesome GH album is Blondie. It's perfect. I've always felt that owning it I never really needed to purchase one of their actual albums.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:32 pm

Charli wrote:As for the Greatest Hits question, the other band I can think of that has an awesome GH album is Blondie. It's perfect. I've always felt that owning it I never really needed to purchase one of their actual albums.

Yeah, one song that someone definitely needs to put on a mix for you then is "Look Good in Blue" which is probably my all-time favorite Blondie song: "If it's alright with you / I could give you some head [pause] and shoulders to lie on." So awesome.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:"The Waiting" should definitely have been on that album. What a fantastic song. And, yes, every good rock and roll fan should own the debut. Essential stuff.

Do you mean "The Wait?" "The Waiting" is the hardest part. Agree with that choice. Others I'd put in would be "Up The Neck," "Tattooed Love Boys," "Mystery Achievement," and pretty much anything from the first 'cept The Kinks cover. Even with that song, their debut is one of the best in rock history. It still sounds vital today.
I love "Pretenders II" too, as it reminds me of an extended high school make out session I once had. From that, I'd throw on "Birds Of Paradise," "The English Roses," and "Waste Not Want Not" (which features one of the best rhythm guitar parts in the Pretenders' catalog).
And when the fuck are they going to re-issue "Extended Play" (the stop gap teaser e.p. between the first and second releases) digitally? There's only two "new" tracks on it ("Porcelain" and "Cuban Slide") which I'd throw on my own Pretenders' compilation.
"Learning To Crawl" is great too (count "Time The Avenger" and "My City Was Gone" on my best-of) making The Pretenders one of a select few bands to have managed to release two absolutely necessary albums that everyone on this board should own.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Yes, I did. Thank you for bringing that humiliating oversight to my, and everyone else's, attention. I'm going to go hit myself in the face with a 2x4 now.

Return to “Rants and Raves”