REM rocks wedding

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

REM rocks wedding

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 am

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:06 pm

now that would be something to see. it's great that they did that for their friends.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:20 pm

Awww. Thats so awesome.
Berry should rejoin the group.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:38 pm

Yeah, I was at a bar in Athens that night, and a guy with a cummerbund came in, and reported that REM had just played the roadie's wedding... my friend (I only have one friend) and I spent the next day telling people that REM invited down their friends in Wilco who also played a set at the wedding. Pass it on.

Seriously, how is this news? Because of Berry? Really?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:28 pm

ryanking wrote:Yeah, I was at a bar in Athens that night, and a guy with a cummerbund came in, and reported that REM had just played the roadie's wedding... my friend (I only have one friend) and I spent the next day telling people that REM invited down their friends in Wilco who also played a set at the wedding. Pass it on.

Seriously, how is this news? Because of Berry? Really?

If you have to ask "how is this news?" why were you spending the following day telling people that R.E.M. played their Guitar Tech's wedding at a Bowling Alley in Athens?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't important, you wouldn't have cared...and you wouldn't have taken the time to tell anyone, right?
Hmm?

IMHO when one of the most important Rock Bands in the last 25 years has a member who quits, and only plays live with them at two shows since 1997 (one of them being a short set at a wedding) it IS kind of important and newsworthy..in rock music circles only, but still important..

I mean, sure, its not as important as Britneys baby birth, J-LO's ass, or Ashlee Simpsons hoe-down, but REM still means something to alot of people.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you on that one Russ. Shit, I'd love to go to a wedding and, hey, just happens that REM is the house band. AND they take requests! Mum may not like it, but I'm sure they'll cover an Elvis tune just for her.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:43 pm

REM and Wilco played the roadie's wedding. Didn't you hear? Eighty out of the 100 people who saw the REM show left when REM started packing up their gear, but the 20 people who stayed in the bowling alley got to see a completely spontaneous set by Wilco! Amazing. Bet those 80 people wish they had stayed!

Hey, how was the McCartney show by the way, Russ? Life changing I'm sure? An opportunity to stand within 300 feet of a living legend?

russ wrote:
If you have to ask "how is this news?" why were you spending the following day telling people that R.E.M. played their Guitar Tech's wedding at a Bowling Alley in Athens?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't important, you wouldn't have cared...and you wouldn't have taken the time to tell anyone, right?
Hmm?

IMHO when one of the most important Rock Bands in the last 25 years has a member who quits, and only plays live with them at two shows since 1997 (one of them being a short set at a wedding) it IS kind of important and newsworthy..in rock music circles only, but still important..

I mean, sure, its not as important as Britneys baby birth, J-LO's ass, or Ashlee Simpsons hoe-down, but REM still means something to alot of people.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm

Fight! Fight!

This is the first time I've seen the words "R.E.M." and "rocks" in the same sentence since "Monster."

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:56 pm

ryanking wrote:REM and Wilco played the roadie's wedding. Didn't you hear?
Hey, how was the McCartney show by the way, Russ? Life changing I'm sure? An opportunity to stand within 300 feet of a living legend?

Wilco played too? No I didn't hear that...I don't know much of Wilco's music, although I hear they are great.

McCartney's shows (I went to two) weren't life changing, but they were a ton of fun, a splendid time was guaranteed for all..and I was closer than 300 feet..It was more like 20 feet. I got 7th row center stage..
Read my post from last week if you want.
Heres one of the pics I snapped.
I just wish you could have been there with me buddy!!
It was sooooo fun!!

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:06 am

worpswede wrote:Fight! Fight!

This is the first time I've seen the words "R.E.M." and "rocks" in the same sentence since "Monster."

Well, in terms of their 25 year career, they've had a fair share of rock songs....not since Monster, correct, but still I would consider them a rock band than a pop band....no?

Return to “Rants and Raves”