Too Smart To Part With Records

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Too Smart To Part With Records

Postby worpswede » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:29 pm

On this thread, list what albums are in your collection that you don't necessarily "get," enjoy, or even listen to...yet you won't discard because you know the album is highly regarded in critical arenas.

Also: if you're a fan of one of the albums listed, chime in and explain why it's such an essential album.

For me, it's Pere Ubu's "Dub Housing" album...

I like their debut "The Modern Dance" for it's immediate, tense feeling...

My favorite is probably their most accessible album "Cloudland."

I cannot get my head around "Dub Housing." It sounds like nothing else on the planet, which is very admirable. It was originally released on Chrysalis records, a fairly large label at the time (Jethro Tull was Ubu's labelmate!) which completely blows my mind. If you've never heard it before, it sounds like the band totally dismantled the fundamental elements of rock music and created this crazy Frankenstein replica of it. In other words: it just doesn't sit right with me, yet it has remained in my own collection for decades.

Your turn...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 pm

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Need I really say more?

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:37 pm

'Underwater Moonlight' by The Soft Boys. 'I wanna destroy you' is a great song but the rest of the album is, well, just kind of bland. On certain days I can get into it, but most of the time I just end up putting on something else.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:41 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Need I really say more?

What a fucking great call!
Impossible to define. Impossible to defend.
I could probably add Neil Young's "Arc" to the list. I remember buying it, thinking it would be Neil's own little "Metal Machine Music" and hoping it would go up in value some day.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:57 am

Funny you should bring this up the day I finally sold my copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:07 am

Funny you should bring this up on the day I get rid of all my records.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:26 am

My mom threw out most of my records several years ago when she moved and I've recently started buying them again. I will probably never throw any of them away, but I never throw anything away. Hypothetically though, one that comes to mind is "Gallowsbird's Bark". I know it comes highly recommended and it's got a pretty jacket, but I can't get through the thing.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 am

worpswede wrote:I could probably add Neil Young's "Arc" to the list. I remember buying it, thinking it would be Neil's own little "Metal Machine Music" and hoping it would go up in value some day.

I actually have a Neil Young promo CD I found while scouring the bins called "Arc, the Single". It's a 3 1/2 minute distillation of the entire album, and if this is truly representative of the full Arc album, trust me when I say that Arc is degrees more interesting and varied than Lou's MMM.

Believe it or not, as a Big Star fan, it's hard for me to admit that Third/Sister Lovers falls into that category. Even though I'll never ever part with it, it isn't a CD I revisit too often. Maybe the raw emotion, the sheer despair, and the feeling that it's the musical equivalent of a formerly great house being allowed to dilapidate, all are reasons that it just doesn't make for a fun listen. And I love some of Richard Thompson's darker stuff ("The End Of The Rainbow" comes to mind), so it isn't darkness I mind. It's just that after hearing the powerpop glory which is the first two albums and then trying to justify Third as a Big Star creation as well... the CRT in my head still reads "Does Not Compute". Conversely, I really like (and still somewhat actively listen to when the mood strikes me) Alex Chilton's allegedly more difficult Like Flies On Sherbert. Go figure...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:48 am

DJMurphy wrote:It's just that after hearing the powerpop glory which is the first two albums and then trying to justify Third as a Big Star creation as well... the CRT in my head still reads "Does Not Compute".

Have you read It Came from Memphis? It's a great book and Robert Gordon does a great job of explaining why Third is the ultimate Big Star release. I don't agree, but it's an interesting argument.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:56 am

Jake wrote:Have you read It Came from Memphis? It's a great book and Robert Gordon does a great job of explaining why Third is the ultimate Big Star release. I don't agree, but it's an interesting argument.

Oh yeah, I own that one... excellent read, even for non-Big Star fans. I loved reading more about Dewey Phillips, Sputnik Monroe, and Campbell Kensinger. I asked Jody Stephens (of Big Star) about that book, and even he said he loved it.

As far as Third being the ultimate Big Star... arguments can be made both ways. I'm not denying the record's greatness, I'm just not sure I fully understand its appeal. But that's just me, and it takes different strokes to move the world.

Return to “Rants and Raves”