Too Smart To Part With Records

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dharmabum110
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dharmabum110 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:58 pm

Are we all at least in agreement that Being There is a flat-out fuggin' masterpiece?

I could never really get into this album, though I do like a few of the songs very much; most notably the opener "Misunderstood" and some others I can't think of right now. The whole thing just never really got me. "Summerteeth" does it for me. I like some of YHF and Ghost is Born, especially "Spiders".

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:01 pm

dharmabum110 wrote:
Are we all at least in agreement that Being There is a flat-out fuggin' masterpiece?

I could never really get into this album, though I do like a few of the songs very much; most notably the opener "Misunderstood" and some others I can't think of right now. The whole thing just never really got me. "Summerteeth" does it for me. I like some of YHF and Ghost is Born, especially "Spiders".

I have to agree also. There are a few songs that I like a lot, but I don't really love the whole album.

Yeah, Bitches Brew is still sitting on my shelf, gathering dust. Pop music good.

One more...I just got The Chameleon's 'Stange Times' and, though I've only listened to it once so far, I like their first album much, much better. I've read plenty of good things about the former, but I dunno. May have to put on ipod and sell...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:10 pm

anothermonkey wrote:One more...I just got The Chameleon's 'Stange Times' and, though I've only listened to it once so far, I like their first album much, much better. I've read plenty of good things about the former, but I dunno. May have to put on ipod and sell...

I had the exact same experience. I was so blown away by Script of the Bridge I think I just set myself up to be disappointed by Strange Times. The songs just meander too much on ST. I'll probably be selling my copy too, eventually.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 am

Man, this will kill any cred (cough cough) I may have on the board, but it's got to be "Slanted and Enchanted" for me.

Maybe it's the crappy early 90's CD production, but I've just never seen the brillance. I even like "Brighten the Corners.." better, and "Crooked Rain" goes without saying.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:03 am

I was listening to S&E just the other night, and it is a challenging listen. The high points are hella high, but not every song works for me on that album. However, the real reason I don't often listen to it, or any other Pavement, is I'm the only person in the house who seems to like them much. 'Round these parts it's known as the Dinosaur Jr. effect.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:37 pm

steve-o wrote:
I had the exact same experience. I was so blown away by Script of the Bridge I think I just set myself up to be disappointed by Strange Times. The songs just meander too much on ST. I'll probably be selling my copy too, eventually.

Exactly. I probably expected way too much from 'Strange Times.' Have you heard their second album? I'm curious if it's any good.

Another album I can't get down with: 'The Lemon of Pink' by The Books. Beep. Beep. Boop. Bird chirp. Someone talking with a french accent. Huh?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:55 am

I'm going to throw out Mates Of State "Our Constant Concern" as a fairly recent addition to my 'too smart to part with" list. Purchased blindly without any kind of preview, entirely on some very vocal friend whom I felt had credibility.
I understand the appeal. I understand the praise. I just can't get into this album (I avoided "Team Boo") and can only take the band in small doses that clock in around 3:22.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:00 am

i recently made some additions to my don'tlistento-box; boards of canada's 'geogaddi' and 'music has the right to children', and einstuerzende neubauten's 'silence is sexy' and 'haus der luege'. in all cases i tried hard to get my friends' enthusiasm, but failed miserably. i don't dismiss all atmospheric or avant garde music, but these records just strike me as plain boring
happy i just burned them.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Maarten wrote:boards of canada's 'geogaddi'. i don't dismiss all atmospheric or avant garde music, but these records just strike me as plain boring.
Agreed. My ex-wife tried to trump my atmosheric phase once with a couple of Boards Of Canada. She could partially be to blame for my disdain towards them, but the reality is that I found their music yawny. rhymes with yanni.

Return to “Rants and Raves”