Albums Today

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:12 pm

Speaking of road trip music,

I'm travelling up to Seattle this weekend. Any recommend road trip music for rainy days?

I'm thinking a combination of the cheery and the sullen. Some Seattle artists would be good too. Definitely Hendirx, esp. cause I'll be visitng the Experience Music Project museum up there, which has a permanent Hendrix exhibit. But which album?

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:27 pm

n8 wrote:Speaking of road trip music,

I'm travelling up to Seattle this weekend. Any recommend road trip music for rainy days?

I'm thinking a combination of the cheery and the sullen. Some Seattle artists would be good too. Definitely Hendirx, esp. cause I'll be visitng the Experience Music Project museum up there, which has a permanent Hendrix exhibit. But which album?

Definitely Jimi Plays Monterey. Live album that documents his closing set at the Monterey Pop Festival in June 1967. Some sweet performances, including a great version of Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" and of course the infamous psychedelic freakout guitar bonfire/smashem up version of the Troggs' "Wild Thing" (probably the dirtiest guitar tone ever recorded on the latter). Great road trip music for sure.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:48 pm

n8 wrote:I'm travelling up to Seattle this weekend. Any recommend road trip music for rainy days?

Rainy days: Luna-"Bewitched"
Seattle: Heart-"Little Queen"
Hendrix: "Electric Ladyland"
Albums today: The Rolling Stones-"A Bigger Bang" & Paul McCartney-"Chaos And Creation In The Backyard"

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:52 am

right on, those'll help. off i go tomorrow!

Fanshawe

Postby Fanshawe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid
Kirsty MacColl - Electric Landlady
Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar
The Libertines - The Libertines
Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:08 pm

Tim wrote:
anothermonkey wrote:Tim...how's that Sun Kil Moon cover album? I love MM and Mark Kozolek's stuff, but I'm afraid of the combination...I can't really imagine his vocals doing Isaac Brock.

I really like it. If you're a fan of Kozolek, you won't be disappointed. I'm also a fan of Modest Mouse, so I was curious to see how Mark would pull this off. I think he does a great job of exposing Brock's brilliant lyrics which I think sometimes get lost in Modest Mouse's music and Brock's screaming. Takes the rawness out of them. I think it will completely change your perspective on Modest Mouse. "Neverending Math Equation," "Convenient Parking" "Ocean Breathes Salty" are all excellent.

I bought it last weekend and am really enjoying it. It was difficult to handle at first, because I was so attached to the original versions. You have to look at them as completely different songs. The music and vocal melodies are changed, and these versions capture different emotions. Any fan of Kozolek would probably like this. If you're a huge Modest Mouse fan (like me) you're going to have to let go a bit...

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Two very uncharacteristic recommendations from me....

I have really been digging the new Cat Power album, "The Greatest". Really mellow, but it has a playful vibe to it that is easy on the ears.

The new Tegan and Sara album, "So Jealous". Totally aleterna-pop, never woulda heard of 'em if it weren't for Jack White's searing cover of "Walking With A Ghost". Somehow I started letting the rest of their album play and it has grown on me a lot. Some songs are actually pretty good and occasionally they rawk out on the realz yo.

Good for a long drive with someone else in the car I would imagine.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Anyone heard of El Ten Eleven, from LA? Sparkling, rhythmic instrumental post-rock. I'm itchin' to get their album.

Also the new Silversun Pickups EP will rock your socks off; the first song, "Kissing Families," is one of the best new songs I've heard from anyone or anywhere within the past couple years. No kidding. Check 'em out (and the song): http//www.silversunpickups.com. Incidentally, they're also from LA. Can't wait for their full-length next year.

Return to “Rants and Raves”