Something we all know a bit about - Computers & Music

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:26 pm

OK, so I was really just trying to be provocative or something... I guess it's an obvious question - sure, performers are made to sound better than they rally are and therefore achieve more success. I just have been feeling more and more recently like technology is far more a detriment to music than a benefit.

Shecky - it was an Emmy award that they were awarded for FireWire.

And Mac OS X is the whip - it stomps monster ass over the old OS (and by extension, XP). Big time.

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:38 pm

This is actually being written on an XP machine. This system is frighteningly simple to the extent that it keeps you so far away from what is happening that you might as well not know anything (as I know about [] much, it is frustrating).

I have a Mac with OS9 and have learned that the world is Windows.

As for the music-computer connection: Isn't this a little like an argument about music before and after, well, electricity?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:25 pm

On 2002-03-10 19:38, gsv wrote:
I have a Mac with OS9 and have learned that the world is Windows.

Why? What problems are you having? I'm thinking of geting the new imac.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:20 pm

I already have an entire Gap wardrobe. I almost bought a VW last year. If I owned a MAC I would have no self respect left. My journey to the dark side would be complete! At least until the spring fashions come in at Banana.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:36 pm

gsv: it is a little like that argument, except that even with electricity, it was still mostly about talent and songwriting - I just think we're getting away from that more and more, and at an increasing rate, these days. Aside from electronica and dance music, I seriously feel it's damaging the fabric of our musical heritage.

Still, I guess I should have known better than to bring it up. I just got on this line of thought after reading that article and thought it would become good fodder for a thread. Still, even in this fairly enlightened forum with many people I know personally to be well-reasoned and thoughtful, mentioning the Mac always seems to bring out the closet cases who turn their noses up at the platform becuase we don't have the option of fifty different p2p file sharing clients. We just have one that works.

Anon: by all reports, the new iMac rocks, and I can tell you personally that OS X is head and shoulders better than any OS out there - 'X' in the name or not.

Scotty: I don't own anything from the Gap, so I guess I'm still okay.

Oh, and this is a pet peeve of mine: Mac is short for Macintosh - it's not an acronym. (If you really want to piss me off, just refer to the command key as 'open apple' - grrrrrr...) ;]

So anyway, I'd rather not turn this into a flame war or anything - if anyone's actually interested in Mac stuff, there are sites for that sort of thing (or email me - I'm actually very even-handed about this sort of thing, and I use Windows every day).

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:21 pm

Back to the original topic, I was talking with the guys at the local record shop the other day about the exponential increase in small label releases and I think this is due in part to the advent of the computer in general.

Suddenly, you have all these semi-talented bands/musicians who have realized that they can use Pro Tools to spruce up their recording to the point that it can get a produced sound. Unfortunately, ProTools and Apple can't generate creative songwriting or live skills. So, we've ended up with tons of new music that tends to mimic everything else in the market or you get a slick sounding band that turns out to be honky-tonk hacks who wouldn't cut it as the local cover band.

The computer, in my opinion, has allowed a lot of creative individuals that aren't necessarily the most talented individuals make some fairly impressive stuff. Love or hate it, I don't care but the new release from Vincent Gallo (Buffalo '66 star and director) is very creative and he did all with his computer. If he didn't have ProTools to aid in the process, the album would never have been created.

So, as with all technology, it has two sides of the coin.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:16 pm

That's the thing. I think technology has certainly opened up a lot of doors for artists. You can now, relatively cheaply, record, produce, burn, design and sell your music on your own. You cna now start your own Indie label for a relatively small amount of money (and a whole hell of a lot of work).

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:21 pm

anon: The problem with the Mac is that simply that there is less software readily available for it. . .yet when I made that point in a conversation recently with Sab, he severely chastised me for being lazy and not wanting to take the time to order something off of the 'net.

As for the effect of technology on music: Let's face it, if it wasn't for the ability to mix and mask and pump and twist and spin and fill and. . .music by "engineers," lots of what we hear we wouldn't listen to.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:19 pm

I'm buying a Mac this week. OSX here I come, baby.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:49 pm

Prop - thanks - that's just what I mean... I appreciate that indies and bands can produce a professional sounding demo with ease, but the nasty side effect is that to find a single live act like American Mars or Riviera, you need to sit through 20 Marsh Roads (Marsh Road: a band once desribed by Pat as sounding "like fifty miles of wet pavement").

Congratulations, Sab - have fun with it. To me there's nothing more exciting than pulling a new Mac out of its box.

Return to “Rants and Raves”