Cat Power

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Cat Power

Postby WalterCracker » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:46 am

Anyone at the gig on Sunday? Just her, a guitar, a piano and 100 people. Pretty cool (despite the lack of songs from "You Are Free").

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:10 pm

I went to the Saturday show in Urbana. Very nice performance. I counted three selections from "You Are Free" at that night's show. If you care, I talked about the gig here
Last edited by worpswede on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 am

You could use the same review for the concert on Sunday. Chairs laid out, 3 songs from "You Are Free", making it hard for the audience to applaud, etc.

I thought the whole gig was like a stream of consciousness, with each song meandering into the next. After reading your review it seems a bit more calculated though. I'm still delighted I got to see a great gig (especially since the last time I saw her she had a complete meltdown).

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:49 pm

My infatuation for Chan is well documented. Therefore, I bring to you a new interview with Will Hodgkinson in The Times where she gives details on her 2006 tour cancellation.
“I didn’t realise what all these years of living out of a suitcase had done to me physically, emotionally and psychologically, and I was too ill to do the tour. But I would have continued until I blew my brains out, jumped out of a window or became a drug addict because I was trying to hang on to what I had been doing for the last ten years.”
Cleaning up certainly looks good on her, as evidenced by her recent performance on The Late Show, where she looks incredibly animated, tanned and...hot.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:55 pm

i must be the only one who doesn't seem to get her. i bought her last two albums and wasn't overly impressed.

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:09 am

i must be the only one who doesn't seem to get her. i bought her last two albums and wasn't overly impressed.

nope, there are many more like you. i've met them, and i don't understand them.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Aside from 'Werewolf', I didn't really react to 'You Are Free', but I've been seriously digging 'The Greatest'.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Since I can't get into any of Cat Power's other work, I truly do not understand my love of The Greatest, but love there is. And that is one hot video. Thanks for posting.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:48 pm

From MySpace:
"Cat Power has been nominated for a BRIT Award in the Best International Female category. For our US readers, the BRIT awards are kinda like the UK version of the Grammys. Traditionally the domain of millions-selling pop stars, Cat Power has manged to get onto the nomination list by…..well, we're not sure. We're not in the habit of assuming that artists deserving awards might actually get them. We're dumbfounded, in fact, given her competition.

She's up against: Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Pink and Nelly Furtado."

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:42 pm

grounded5am wrote:i must be the only one who doesn't seem to get her. i bought her last two albums and wasn't overly impressed.

As much as I hate almost everything you post here, I have to agree with you on this one.

I think she is an example of indie-boy mass delusion.

Return to “Rants and Raves”