Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:14 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:I think the supreme court keeps striking down laws allowing religious use of drugs, which is pretty much unconstitutional...so its probably not legal even for religious rites...
as far as crackers go its certainly not legal...

You guys crack me up how comfortable you are talking completely out of your asses. This shit's not that hard to research. The Supreme Court's decisions are pretty well documented, ha ha.

Interestingly, this type of case just came up in the news again last week: Supreme Court hears hallucinogenic tea case

The Supreme Court has dealt with religious drug cases before. Justices ruled 15 years ago that states could criminalize the use of peyote by American Indians. But Congress changed the law to allow the sacramental use in tribal services of peyote, a bitter-tasting cactus that includes the hallucinogen mescaline.

O'Connor pointed out during Tuesday's argument that Congress changed the rules. She interrupted the Bush administration lawyer in his opening statement and peppered him with difficult questions.

Other justices also seemed concerned by the government's claim that an exception could be made for peyote, but not for hoasca tea.

"That is a rather rough problem under the First Amendment," said Justice Stephen Breyer.

Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote the 1990 peyote opinion, said tribes have been using peyote -- "a demonstration you can make an exception without the sky falling."

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:18 pm

"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. 'Vámonos, amigos,' he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight."

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:24 pm

Welcome back, NBG. You talk some jive like I've never heard.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm

I stand corrected[quote="Jake"][/quote]

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:35 pm

nobodygirl wrote:Image

"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. 'Vámonos, amigos,' he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight."

"Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is, maybe he didnt?"

Return to “Rants and Raves”